The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
BiggSixx1970

Angry trouble stay cool.. (truck and me!)

Alright guys, I've been fighting this beast for weeks now I just can't keep my truck cool, It just keeps overheating and I don't know what to do..

This all started a few weeks back when I decided to replace my original hoses and flush out my radiator, replace the thermostat, this went good without a hitch, new hoses look good.. Well I noticed my water pump started weeping, oh joy, but that was easier than expected.

I replace the water pump in what felt like minutes, filled the old girl back up, fired it up to take it for a test run and it started over heating. My radiator didn't appear to be flowing right.. I wanted to replace the old radiator anyways because it was kind of beat up and had a couple pinholes and some corrosion.. Soo, I have a friend with a couple spare radiators at his place a 3 core and a 4 core, that he was going to use in is 455 '70 buick skylark. It drops right in, easy as pie, once i figured out some size variables with attaching my hoses I filled her back up and went for another test fire..

It overheats again this afternoon

The rundown.. I replaced all of my heater/radiator hoses, replaced my thermostat, replaced my radiator and upgraded to a 4 core, and replaced my water pump, and flushed the engine the best I could yet the old straight six still is overheating.

Do I need to bleed the system? If so how do I do that? I primed the system the best I cold by making sure the hoses were full, I also stuck a garden hose inside my water pump and blasted a bunch of water back into the water-jacket.. I just don't know what to do now, or where to start? I was thinking about putting in another thermostat in case the new one is bad. It's a 250 straight 6, if anyone needs pictures I can take some. I just don't know what to do now, I'm reaching the limits of my mechanical know-how

Thank you all for your time! Ya'll are awesome

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545486

Gentlemen wear a bow tie.
BiggSixx1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: trouble stay cool.. (truck and me!)

My first suggestion is fill it up and then get the front of the truck as high as you can u may have a air bubble in the system and it want cool down until you get all the air out.

Do u know the radiator was good since it was sitting around your buddies shop. there could have been debri inside it that is clogging the flow up.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: trouble stay cool.. (truck and me!)

Is that a new radiator. If not, make sure it is profesionally rotted out, not just "flushed" at home as it were.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Jon01

I've found air pockets in several different vehicles.
My scout was the worst as the way the upper host/t-stat housing is set up it's actually higher than the radiator cap.
Easiest way to push an air pocket out in my experience is to take it out and flog it good. That will push the pocket out 90% of the time.
Jon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My first suggestion is to get a thermometer and check to see if it's actually overheating.You may have a sender/gage/light problem since everything else is new.Also take the cap and have it checked.Watch when it's up to temp to see if the water is actually flowing.Also,look thru the fins and make sure air can flow thru them.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

You didn't accidentally put a reverse rotation pump in did ya
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
nos81z28

Is your fan clutch still good?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
cdowns

if u put a thermostat in wrong it will ovraheat
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
BiggSixx1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
You didn't accidentally put a reverse rotation pump in did ya
Posted via Mobile Device
Not to my knowledge, I just got the one of two options at the o'reilies's a couple blocks from my house, $20 for a reman, $26 for new, I got the new one

Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
BiggSixx1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos81z28 View Post
Is your fan clutch still good?
There is no fan clutch, there is also no shroud on the 250 Inline engines, There is lots of airspace around the engine and the water jackets relatively thin walled so they didn't use fan clutches or shrouds until you got a v8, to my knowledge

Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
BiggSixx1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
if u put a thermostat in wrong it will ovraheat
Haha, no sir, I didn't put it in upside down, Put it in the same way as I took the old one out. I'm a rookie but I know not to do that >.>, thanks though!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
BiggSixx1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
My first suggestion is to get a thermometer and check to see if it's actually overheating.You may have a sender/gage/light problem since everything else is new.Also take the cap and have it checked.Watch when it's up to temp to see if the water is actually flowing.Also,look thru the fins and make sure air can flow thru them.
Ya know, It doesn't really seem to even be getting 'that hot' in the radiator, it warm, but it's not as hot as the temp gauge says. I have a gauge, no light. I was thinking about replacing the sender too to be safe.. The engine does appear to be getting hot though, judging by the smell of the grease warming up on the outside of it

Old 06-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
BiggSixx1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon01 View Post
I've found air pockets in several different vehicles.
My scout was the worst as the way the upper host/t-stat housing is set up it's actually higher than the radiator cap.
Easiest way to push an air pocket out in my experience is to take it out and flog it good. That will push the pocket out 90% of the time.
The thermostat housing is on top of the engine, I'm at my girlfriends right now, but from what I remember the thermostat housing is probably the highest point on my engine.. Don't quote me on that cause i'm not lookin right at it though. I mean, I thought about taking it out and pullin her hair (truck not the girlfriend, lol) but i didn't want to fry the bearings in my new pump or overheat anything too much

Old 06-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
BiggSixx1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
My first suggestion is fill it up and then get the front of the truck as high as you can u may have a air bubble in the system and it want cool down until you get all the air out.

Do u know the radiator was good since it was sitting around your buddies shop. there could have been debri inside it that is clogging the flow up.
It is a used radiator that he bought from a guy that has a small shop, the guy he bought it from said it was good, but you never know, to my upon first inspection it looks just fine, it's clean, has new petcock. When it was in my friend's possession, it just sat in a corner on the floor of his shop waiting to be used, shouldn't have anything more than a little dust inside it maybe, before I hooked it up i ran water through it the best I could

Old 06-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
trac209

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggSixx1970 View Post
Ya know, It doesn't really seem to even be getting 'that hot' in the radiator, it warm, but it's not as hot as the temp gauge says. I have a gauge, no light. I was thinking about replacing the sender too to be safe.. The engine does appear to be getting hot though, judging by the smell of the grease warming up on the outside of it
If you have a "hot" engine and a warm rad you have something wrong deffo. A blockage or bubble in the system someplace not letting the coolant flow properly. Start by confirming the temps before you proceed
Posted via Mobile Device
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
BiggSixx1970

Got her fixed! Had more air than coolant inside the engine.. Air gap under my thermostat that was insulating it from the fluid temp not allowing it to open up. Thanks guys! She's stayin' nice and cool, no shroud, no fan clutch, just straight fan and a new big block radiator!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: trouble stay cool.. (truck and me!)

Cool is Hot which means Cool!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote