The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
hath

Why not stick with 6 lug wheels?

Why are guys converting their trucks form 6 lug to 5? I'm looking to stick some old painted steel wheels on a 6 lug truck, plus give it a static drop. Any foreseeable issues?
hath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Orange67

Re: Why not stick with 6 lug wheels?

I think it has to do with the availability of after-market wheels/brake systems.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

The main reason is the disc brake switch. In 71 the factory went to 5 lug with disc brakes so most people just upgrade to that.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
MSHax

They hit it, disc brake conversions and aftermarket wheels are 2 of the biggest reasons. There are a BUTT load of 5 lug front and rear disc brake conversions. A few front and rear disc brake conversions for 6 lug, and 1 front 8 lug disc brake conversion. And the disc brake conversions for 6 & 8 lug are pretty much stock parts with modified brackets. The 5 lug conversions are available in 1, 2, 4, even 6 piston calipers, different size rotors, etc.

I personally like the 8 lug, of course I was given 3 options when I went for a set of 22s, and 1 of those options even said "offroad" on the rim lip. There's no way I'm going to throw a 5 or 6 lug conversion on the rear just so I can have 4 wheel disc.

If you're on 6 lugs now, and you're going with steel wheels anyway, then don't change. If you want 4 wheel disc but don't plan on racing your truck, it's available, and cheaply. If you want aftermarket wheels, they're available everywhere.

Of course the very best reason to do any conversion is for the toys. If I was going to do a conversion it would be for the suspension parts. The 8 lug c10 gets 0, yup a big whopping 0 options for worthwhile suspension upgrades. But do a google search for A arms for a 5 lug c10 and see if you can count them all. I would love to get my hands on some ridetech control arms, drop spindles, etc, but I don't want to change out the K Member. I thought about swapping out my K member and rear end JUST for the suspension parts. (not now that I've spent $2300 on rims and tires, but IF)

For giggles you can go backwards and convert to 8 lug, I'm sure there's a few dozen guys who'd love to trade for your 6 lug gear. :P
Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
volksworld

back when I converted mine there were no aftermarket 6 lug rotors available.so if you wanted discs,you got 5 lug.if I could have bought 6 lug rotors and not had to swap rear axles I would have been happy to.the downside is aftermarket sources can go out of business and you cant run down to your local parts store and buy a 6 lug rotor
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksworld View Post
back when I converted mine there were no aftermarket 6 lug rotors available.so if you wanted discs,you got 5 lug.if I could have bought 6 lug rotors and not had to swap rear axles I would have been happy to.the downside is aftermarket sources can go out of business and you cant run down to your local parts store and buy a 6 lug rotor
88-98 Light Duty C2500s have the correct 6 lug rotor...

With the availability of 5 and 6 lug disc brake conversions now, the real issue is wheel choice. 5 lug offers many more choices in wheels, especially with the classic "5 spoke" look. Since the OP is looking to keep stock looking steel wheels, he will have no issue, except that some stock steel wheels do not fit over the disc brakes.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
MSHax

There isn't any way to compare stock 1960s/70s brakes to a modern 4 wheel disc setup. I remember way back in the day how much work it was to do conversions. Now it's all bolt on. I did a few cars without any issues. The custom brake kits could have that concern of "holy crap! wilwood went under! now what?" issue (not that wilwood would go under anytime soon, but it's possible). The last car I did was done with the right stuff detailing kit. they use factory gm parts with their brackets. I like it because even if they go under and I can no longer get my free pads, I can just go down and buy some Cadillac pads.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
volksworld

GCncsuHD...good to know about those rotors...checked and the wheel bearings are the same...swear I've never seen them mentioned on the disc conversion threads...of course,they didn't exist either when I converted mine in 1980...
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The other thing is that many of the stock 6 lug wheels don't clear discs.And later wheels have a different offset.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #10
Square_78

I'm keeping mine 6 lug. I bought the CPP 6 lug brake kit for mine. I'm running my 15x8 steelies and I have no reason to change to 5 bolt.
Posted via Mobile Device

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote