The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
67camper_cruiser

have a question about automatic transmission

so my 67 got an engine swap about 2 months ago, (blok was completely done) maybe a 68 350 in it b4, i have now what i think is a 82 maybe 350...it ran like a champ specially up hill, now i go up and down the same hill every day with with it, only problem now is it does not get enough power when i accelerate, now when im going up the hill my petal is all the way down to the metal n im doing maybe about 60,, my engine is roaring like a beast and mph's keep getting lower as i climb... its deff not the same as before, also my swaped engine sounds great so i dont think its anything to do with that,,, before i would go up the hill like nothing, any suggestions...............also transmission was fine before to..
67camper_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: have a question about automatic transmission

Your symptoms don't really sound transmission related.

Is it shifting through all the gears?

Have you done a stall test? What is the RPM?
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

My guess is different horse powers and torque out put between the motors
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
cleszkie

Check to make sure the vacuum line is connected to the modulator on the tranny. If not, tranny will not shift, or will shift very late.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Longhorn 70

IF you have a TH350, the kickdown cable may be adjusted wrong, not connected or ????

It may be in 2nd gear going up instead of 3rd.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
Zeke's Garage

So you're saying that your new engine doesn't have as much power going up the hill as the one that was in it before? What happened to the old engine that caused you to swap it out?

If this problem started with the new engine, you need to check all the usual tuning areas.

1. Timing, What's your initial set to? Is your dist advance hooked up to the same port on the carb (full or on only above idle). Are you getting full advance at around 2500-2700 rpm? (Should be about 38* for pseudo stock 350). Also can you verify that the new engine has the cam timed at '0'.. not retarded or advanced?
2. Fuel pressure. Do you have about 5-7 psi at your carb at idle? Can you see what your pressure is at partial and wide open throttle? Could be a bad pump, or clogged lines, filter or tank pickup sock.
3. Fuel mixture on the carb. Any changes on the engine or carb? Can you tell if it's running rich or lean throughout the power band? Here's where a wideband O2 sensor really helps find the rough spots in your jetting.
4. Plugs. Did you change anything in your engine build that might need hotter or colder plugs?
5. Ignition. Any changes in your dist or coil or are you using an HEI? If HEI are you sure you're getting a full 12v to the unit, and not the 7-9v from the original resistor wire?
As you can tell, with a new engine, you need to look at a whole lot of things to make sure your new setup is better than the old one.
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote