The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
X Army MP

im excited but worried

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I found a '72 c10 for sale on Craigslist listed for $3k. The problem...the seller has had the truck 8 months. Truck has NM tag. He lives in Amarillo. I live in western Oklahoma. He rebuilt engine and seems to of lost interest after getting back together. The truck hasn't had the tag updated since 1997. He says he has not signed the title he received from the previous owner. Also says he wasn't going to update the tag Untill he got it running and painted. It runs and drives now. I'm looking at trading him my '03 Cadillac Deville. Is the tag going to be a major issue? Advice welcome
Posted via Mobile Device
X Army MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
BB72CHEVKT

Re: im excited but worried

It owuldn't be in TX.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
X Army MP

This is the Craigslist add
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
X Army MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
It owuldn't be in TX.

What do you mean?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
briank

Oklahoma shouldn't care about Texas plates. Only problem I see is if the title is dated by the previous seller. Otherwise you can just sign and date it and get your own plates. In Illinois its a no no, considered incomplete assigment of title but its done all the time and Illinois wants their money for everything you ever do. At least there is a title.
Posted via Mobile Device
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
treveiger

I don't see a problem just make sure you match the vin to the title. And get a bill of sale from him. Maybe even have him say something in writing stating what he told you. Just cover your butt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Lattimer

Depends on the laws where you live.

I bought my truck with a PA title, signed by the previous registered owner. The guy I bought it from never changed the title. I had a receipt from the guy I bought it from and a title signed by another guy from another state. NJ did not care one bit, issued a new title, plates, and registration, I just paid the sales taxes and fees for plates/title/registration.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Lou Boffa

you'd pay a penalty for not having the vehicle registered in TX, probably a couple hundred dollars. Not sure about OK--might check w your locar tax collector/assessor so there are no surprises.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
X Army MP

I just got off of work so I ran by the tag agency. They say they won't give me okla plates until the seller fixes the registration. They are even saying walk away. This kind of sux. I've been searching for reasonably priced running and driving 67-72 c10 for a while. A guy at work told me his truck is only worth about $1500-$2000 tops. My car worth $3500-$4000. I figured finding a c10 was going to be easy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
CC69Rat

I think I'd keep looking too.. I kinda smell something..

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Tinkermc

if it smells funny it must be funny, don't take a chance and get a truck you can not use and loose the Caddy 2
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
DUD2STUD

keep looking not putting it in his name sounds funny
DUD2STUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
WIDESIDE72

I currently have, and have had in the past several vehicles that i have not transferred into my name, due to the fact that they are not running and i don't see any point transferring them. I usually do transfer them before starting and work to be sure that there will not be any issues with transferring after sinking a bunch of money into one.

Everything that was said above in regard to Texas titling is accurate, but that doesnt help you much in OK!

Imo, get a bill of sale from current owner just in case, then take the title down to have it transferred. I see no reason to mention to them the current owner having no transferred it. It would be as if you are buying it from the NM owner. When dealing with the DMV, i only tell them what is relevant to avoid them screwing things up.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
big d's red67

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Army MP View Post
I just got off of work so I ran by the tag agency. They say they won't give me okla plates until the seller fixes the registration. They are even saying walk away. This kind of sux. I've been searching for reasonably priced running and driving 67-72 c10 for a while. A guy at work told me his truck is only worth about $1500-$2000 tops. My car worth $3500-$4000. I figured finding a c10 was going to be easy
Posted via Mobile Device
Dont give up yet, there are more than one way to get the title thing fixed, I have done this before and its not difficult. Title 42 might be the best way to take care of this. as far as the value of the truck ot just depends on condition and what you are willing to give for it. If you would like to discuss the title 42 I'll PM you my Phone number and be glad to walk you through it.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS
2013 Camaro RS convertible the wife's

Build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573248
big d's red67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Harpie

I got into something similar when I got my 71 it had not been on the road in numerous years. When I called and asked what it was gonna take to get it transferred and tagged I about fell over and honestly was not gonna be worth it. Then the lady said but if you have a receipt showing its been at a mechanics and has been being repaired like getting a motor rebuilt or installed then I can wave all the fees and it was only like 30 bucks so if the truck is legit and not stolen then you can most certainly get it tagged with no trouble at all in Oklahoma.
Harpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
mjjjracing

I agree with wideside72 I currently have 5 67-72s and the titles are signed by the owner with no date when I go to transfer the title I date and sign it with no questions asked .Due to the age of these trucks they rarely ask questions. But that is in Colorado
mjjjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
russgoodman

If the New Mexico owner signed the title and didn't date it, you should be able to sign and date it and the OK DMV wont even know it was in TX. If he dated the title - you will have to pay the back tax on it. I had a signed and dated TX title for my truck, dated like 8 months before I bought the truck. But I was able to get around it by putting it into my in-laws car dealership name and then reassigning it to myself once the title came back. Ended up costing like $48 instead of $250. Good luck and I agree with others, if it ends up getting too deep, walk away!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali - 6.2L AWD - my daily
2011 Ford Flex Limited - Ecoboost AWD - wife's daily
1987 Buick Regal Turbo T - 63K miles - Strip/Street car
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, 53K miles
russgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
67c10rustbuket

I would call a different tag office and ask what it would cost to register a truck that was signed by PO in NM and bring it up to date. Dont tell them about the middle man. That is called title jumping and a big no-no in most states. Personally I transfer a vehicle asap when buying and when on the selling side. I turn in the form on the bottom of the title to release myself of any liability. it actually transfers your old vehicle to the new owner even if the new owner neglects to register it. This keeps the seller from being at fault for parking tickets and turnpike fees etc... also keeps this situation from happening. If it were OK to OK you would be paying the back registration. Oklahoma has really gotten strict recently on vehicle registration. I recently had to pay over $200 for being about 6 mos over due on my black tagged 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpie View Post
I got into something similar when I got my 71 it had not been on the road in numerous years. When I called and asked what it was gonna take to get it transferred and tagged I about fell over and honestly was not gonna be worth it. Then the lady said but if you have a receipt showing its been at a mechanics and has been being repaired like getting a motor rebuilt or installed then I can wave all the fees and it was only like 30 bucks so if the truck is legit and not stolen then you can most certainly get it tagged with no trouble at all in Oklahoma.
I tried that and the tag office said I had to have a real receipt to attempt it and the law expired at the end of the month (last year sometime) and this is no longer an option. You must know somebody or did yours before I got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by big d's red67 View Post
Dont give up yet, there are more than one way to get the title thing fixed, I have done this before and its not difficult. Title 42 might be the best way to take care of this. as far as the value of the truck ot just depends on condition and what you are willing to give for it. If you would like to discuss the title 42 I'll PM you my Phone number and be glad to walk you through it.
This is probably your best bet. I had to do this to register my "not properly registered" 67 from Georgia

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

I bought my 69 C20 locally from a guy near Buffalo, NY. The truck was titled in Arizona and never signed over to him. I had no problem registering it in New York state. Make sure you get a bill of sale and detail all information. Make sure the VIN number matches the title and I would also check to make sure it matches the frame stamping.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #20
suspect

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/3889671593.html

This ones bagged already
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/3840031969.html

This one is super nice. Partial trades also.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/3892975231.html

There's a lot more.......search under Oklahoma City.

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote