The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Superdrag67

Disc brake swap brake hose routing? Seems wrong

Search turned up no answers for me. Just finishing up a disc brake conversion and steering rebuild. Got the brake kit from gmcpauls.

Is this how the hoses sit? I've got the calipers on the correct side. As you can see in the pic of the other caliper there is a place for the hose to sit. It just doesnt seem right to me. Wouldn't think it should be rubbing on the a-arm/spindle all the time.

So what am i doing wrong? Or is that just how it is supposed to be? Feel like i'm missing something stupid.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Superdrag67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
67 chevelle

Re: Disc brake swap brake hose routing? Seems wrong

maybe upside down , definatny should not rub
actualy i think they are like 90 degrees out , if you dont get a reply from someone with it fresh ill take a pic tomarrow as ill be working brakes

Last edited by 67 chevelle; 08-03-2013 at 09:11 PM.
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Superdrag67

Thanks. I could swap caliper sides but then the bleeder would be on the bottom.

While i am asking questions...

I'm assuming i just plug one of the front outlets on the new prop. Valve? And what about the switch? My old plug doesn't fit. Is that a standard plug i can pick up at a auto parts store?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
mgchevyparts

Not upside down, bleeder is pointing up. The upper a arm and caliper move together but a bracket holding the hose away from the a arm and bolted to the a arm would be good. You can also grind a new notch into the caliper, where the banjo bolt secures the hose so you can then point the hose in a different direction keeping it away from the a arm. Hose looks a little too long also.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
67 chevelle

your calipers are on the correct sides , the bleeder should point up , its where the banjo fitting ataches to the caliper , it needs to be indexed diferantly , I believe the hose points to the front as it leaves the caliper making the hose kind of like an s
Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

It's always going to be a compromise. You'll have to orient it as well as you can that allows you to sleep at night. You've got it routed about as well as possible.

The proper way to route them is forward to in front of the crossmember. This is the way GM did it when they installed disc brakes factory. It allows the suspension to completely cycle and steering to swing to and for without rubbing against anything. Notice in 71 when trucks began to get disc brakes, all of the hard line connections were on the front side of the crossmember as opposed to behind the crossmember like drum brake trucks used.

So, either live with what you have or convert all of your hard lines to run completely differently.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
mgchevyparts

Changing the hardline location would be good but you do not have to do that and do not have to live with it. Grind a new notch in the caliper and point the hose in the direction of the arrow, you might need a shorter hose though, this will keep the hose from touching the a arm .
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrag67 View Post
Search turned up no answers for me. Just finishing up a disc brake conversion and steering rebuild. Got the brake kit from gmcpauls.

Is this how the hoses sit? I've got the calipers on the correct side. As you can see in the pic of the other caliper there is a place for the hose to sit. It just doesnt seem right to me. Wouldn't think it should be rubbing on the a-arm/spindle all the time.

So what am i doing wrong? Or is that just how it is supposed to be? Feel like i'm missing something stupid.
The problem you are having is one that was addressed by GM when they changed to a disc front as standard equipment in 71, they fixed this issue by changing/re-routing the front hardlines over the top (see arrows) and then re-mounting the rubber hose on the front side of the x-member. This is another reason why we leave these five lug disc dropouts all together as matched parts, it makes the swap so much easier with less head scratching as GM did all of the R & D years ago. Mel
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Took me a minute to get you some pics to go with my above reply but it pretty much says the same thing as Tx states, the decision is yours to make but if it were my truck I would re-route the lines to the front. Were there no instructions or line/hose diagrams included with this kit from GMC Pauls? Mel
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
Superdrag67

Thanks everyone! I'm a total newb to these trucks.

I dont know if they just got left out or if that is normal but there were no instructions whatsoever with the kit i got. Luckily i've worked on enough cars everything I was looking at made sense so i didnt need them.

I really don't want to reroute or make new brake lines just because this has already taken longer than planned (it's only been 2 weeks ) and i just want to get driving! But i like doing things right the first time too. Not sure what i'll do at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
Superdrag67

In taking another look at it even if i rerouted the hoses to the front i would still have to grind out a new index notch on the caliper. Think i might just grind out a new notch and try to track down a little bit shorter hoses.

Sightly disappointing but it's not like this is a $2k brake kit. I just dont feel comfortable leaving it the way it is. There were a few other little issues but that's not uncommon when working on vehicles.

So when i need replacement parts like pads, rotors, bearings, etc what am i supposed to ask for at the auto parts house?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
Special-Ed

shorter hose.... re index the brake line.

and when that brake line busts a hole you will wish you did something abpout it! it cannot rub up agains that control arm... it will rupture... just a matter of time
Old 08-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
mgchevyparts

Just re-position it first, the length might work, if not let me know how long it is and I can tell you which hose to get that is shorter, if you need it.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #14
Superdrag67

Thanks, will do! Going to wait til my shocks get here on monday before i do anything. Want to make sure i'm not interfering with them when i reposition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
67 chevelle

my truck is a 68 , it has 6 lug rotars , i will post a pic later , I converted it from drums to discs , changing the spindles with the kit I bought , of coarse it did not come with instructions , but Haveing a few old chevys I have converted all to front discs that did not have them , a necessary upgrade where I live and drive

when you have drums up front and apply the brakes you are asking your truck to stop
convert to discs and applying the brakes tells the truck to stop
Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Disc brake swap brake hose routing? Seems wrong

Here is my factory 71 with S/S hoses I installed.
U may can swap hoses also to get the right angle on the caliper. I know I checked mine first and had to swap them.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
treveiger

You could make a custom hose mount on your a arm to keep them from rubbing. Just a idea
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
Superdrag67

Thanks for all the suggestions. My shocks wont sctually be here til tuesday but will update this thread with whatever i decide to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
mgchevyparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Here is my factory 71 with S/S hoses I installed.
U may can swap hoses also to get the right angle on the caliper. I know I checked mine first and had to swap them.

Unfortunately 71 and 72 are completely different then the older ones. Since they came with disc brakes the frame fittings are already in front instead of to the rear like his.
This is really not a big deal though, just point the hose in the rear/upward position and use hose of appropriate length. Cars generally use the fittings at the rear, 71 & up trucks are the only ones that moved hard line to the front that I know of.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
67 chevelle

I posted awhile back , did not apear , m y line look shorter , pics as promised

Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #21
Superdrag67

Interesting. Thanks for the pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
Superdrag67

Just wanted to update this thread. Won't leave it this way as i dont really care for the way it looks. If i decide to leave it i will make a steel bracket that ties off 2 points instead of one. I think just shorter hoses will work though.

I ended up clocking the hose differently where it goes into the frame which twisted the hose differently. Still wasnt happy with it so i made up the bracket out of some aluminum i had sitting around. It will get me by for the time being.

Mgchevy, do you have a part number for that shorter hose?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #23
RichardJ

Is that picture with A-arm up close to normal ride height position? Do you have enough clearance to turn wheel left and right with a little extra for when the spindle rises more during cornering roll, dips and braking.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #24
Superdrag67

Good call! I checked when it was up in the air and the suspension was relaxed. I will see what it looks like with the wheels on the ground.

Its just short term and i suspect the aluminum would bend before anything bad happened but no reason to stress anything.

Didnt cross my mind, thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #25
Superdrag67

Just threw a jack under the a-arm and checked it out. Now i feel like an idiot! Looks like reclocking the hose was all i needed. At full lock it rubs the spindle just a hair. I'll keep an eye on it. No bracket needed!

Thanks again! Getting all worked up over nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device