The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Former member Yoder213

Question 1970 k20 Drum Brakes, info req'd.

So I couldn't find any older threads on this. I know there's a lot about brakes on here. but, still couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

I've got the 70 k20 and from what I found they put an oddball sized brake drums on these suckers. 12 x 2? I've heard 12 x 2 1/4, and a couple other things that have had me doubting, and part shops don't list em.

Brake shop says I'm 1/4 past legal, a year ago. and wanted me to switch out for a 92 suburban diff set, supposed to perfectly bolt in, no hassle. for the same price as a disc conversion kit (don't know if they had a rear kit with it)

A couple older mechanics said if I loved the truck, keep it original, So that is what I'm looking for. new drums.

now LMC has them for 250 a drum. OUCH.
tuckers, and one other site says they have them for 60 a drum, or about 130 a pair, but I don't know if I should have faith they are the right part.

tuckers sent me the specs on their drum, funny thing is was in metric, kinda raises another flag for me, and I am wondering if I can get some specs for THE drum that goes on the truck, or any other advice on finding these drums. I found a pair off an 81 at pick n pull, but I haven't found out if they fit, seeing as tearing apart the rear end requires some hours and focus, I want to know I can do the job when I start.

would it be worth the pain to order and see if they work, or keep hunting?
what would be pros and cons to going to the burb' diffs?
Thank you
Jason
Former member Yoder213 is offline   Reply With Quote