The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2003, 04:51 AM   #1
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

Question Buying Parts Off This Board?

Any suggestions about buying parts from other members of this board. Im new to the board and looking for any suggestions in this area.

thanks
OldSkool71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 06:30 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Buying parts from board members is usually a very good experience. Most members are very fair with their pricing and shipping costs. One thing to keep in mind, most of us make a
living other than selling parts and time is limited. Board members cannot always ship things immediately so always allow for this.

Shipping seems to be the area where most problems occur. I had an experience where a part was shipped out, went to the wrong address, went back to the origination point where the board member reshipped it. This took about (20) days!

Communication is always important. If you want to buy a part, let the seller know so that there is no doubt. Make payment with MO's or other methods to insure the seller gets their money.
Board members do not want to send defective parts so you can be sure that the part you are getting is as stated.

As always, it is a good practice to know pricing on parts.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:40 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Ive been skunked once ont his board buying form a guy who is no longer here (RAYVILLE BODY) apparently hes skunked more than one person here
Ive bought from many others here and never had a problem and most of these guys are really cool back when i had been rushed into the hospital MMAC67 sent me a part and found out i was sick he had shipeed it and told me to not worry about paying for it until i was able to get around ( I sent payment out within three days of gettingout of the hospital a week later)
CROSSY ( dave) has given me parts to try to see if theyll fit ( carb) and didnt take cash unless it worked
and ive got TOMMY DAVIS out hunting parts for me in yards by him hes also a great guy
WES CLASSIC HEARTBEAT is like a mail order company and he sent me prices right away on stuff i want to get as has TIM CHRISTIAN
the vast majority of people here are really good people I wouldnt hesitate to buy from a board member and i would either pick up in cash,use paypal or send a money order for payment this way you know payment is good

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
Joe67
67 is sold

I have had great success buying from board members. Specifically JaquesDean

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:32 AM   #5
XXL
Señor Member

Re: Buying Parts Off This Board?

I've bought a couple of times with great results... and I've gotten freebies as well! There is, however, the occasional rat who doesn't send you what you were told you'd be getting, or doesn't send you anything at all. I would definitely search the board (when the search engine comes back online ) on the user before spending any big money. You'd probably hate to be cheated out of $60 on a set of hubcaps... for instance
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:57 AM   #6
StingRay

Pretty much good experiences here too. I have found that some people have different definitions of the word "Mint" and "excellent". Be sure to ask questions before closing the deal. the number of posts a member has and the length of time they have been a member of the board is a helpful guide to the type of seller they are as the "RATS" get driven off fairly quickly.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #7
landon4421
Life is Good !

I have bought parts off the board, and sold some! 99% of the guys here are good people to deal with. But there is always some fool out there trying to screw someone. Just be carefull and everything should be fine. good luck
'14 Honda Accord Sport "commuter"
landon4421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
Low68

I have only had one dealing with someone on the board. It was with desert rat and it was a cab. He was going to give it to me for free. He wasn't ready to give it to us yet, but when we went to look at it, he let us do a little disassembling and take it home. We gave him $60 so he at least got something from the deal. So my only experience was really good.
Low68
Old 07-09-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
superchevy
Got big-block?

I've bought and sold parts on this board for a couple of years now; everything from small $5 items to $1500 projects. I've never had a problem buying anything from a board member (except for an $11 fuel filler patch I haven't received in 7 weeks now).
I only buy items from folks who have been members for awhile, and I feel like I know them and their character.
Selling items is a different story. I can't tell you how many times I've had a member tell me they're going to buy something then not follow through. "The check must have got lost....." "Man, can you wait a couple weeks 'til I get paid....", etc, etc, etc.
My advice is don't tell someone you will buy an item unless you are serious and have the money to do it.
SC

'72 Corvette convertible 454/4spd/ac, ps, pb

'73 GMC Sierra Grande short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'77 K5 Blazer black on red, 350/T350/NP205 ps, pb, ac all original

'78 GMC Sierra Classic short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'72 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 38 built.
'73 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 71 built.
'75 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 25 built.

SOLD! '72 GMC K25 4x4 468/4L80e/NP205
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post4324423

SOLD!'55 Chevy gasser 496/4spd
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...96#post4324396
superchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:03 PM   #10
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Yeah, be cautious of a kid up in North Dakota selling bogus hubcaps! (In other words, don't buy from the deadbeat punk a$$ biatch whose screen names appear in my signature)

Also be cautious of parts descriptions which include the words: "perfect" "rust free" "no cracks". No 30+ year old part is “perfect”. Always ask for thorough descriptions and demand good pictures of the part you are buying.

I’ve been burned once on the board and a couple times on eBay. Otherwise, I’ve had pretty good luck.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:14 PM   #11
Alexis
Member since 2000

I've sold and bought items. I sold wheels to bernie and bought from 67sss. I had no problem with either. I think we should have a sticky thread to give good and beware notes on dealing with board members.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:18 PM   #12
Southpa

One important point about buying/selling parts. A picture is worth 1000 words. Someone's interpretation of "rust free" as opposed to "rot free" might be totally different from another person's. Exchanging pics of body parts (from trucks ) makes the buyer mucho happy. That way you know what you are getting and if something gets damaged by UPS then you know where to cast the blame.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:22 PM   #13
COBALT

Yes, there are two things you don't want to assume when buying/sellilng parts here:

1). Everyone is honest and have good intentions on this board.

Not everybody is honest regardless of how "tight" the community is. There are a few people who have the integrity and common sense of a pet rock, so you need to assume some ground rules:

a. Be clear and concise about what the description of the part is (pictures), how much it is, the shipping address, how it will be shipped, and when (do it via email so you have documentation).

b. If buying use Postal Money Orders. The USPS will come down hard on people suspect of fraud when a Postal MO is involved. Send the money right away, and if you want (big items) send it "signature req'd", or some other means so you can get a signature for the money recieved and the date.

c. If selling something ALREADY have the shipping cost and means figured out before the deal is made. This is especially important for big things, delicate things, or heavy stuff. Don't announce you're selling something, reach an agreement with someone, then go out to try and ship it and find out either you can't or the shipping cost will be more than the part.

d. Buyers must be willing to eat the cost of shipping on returns just like every other internet purchase. Unfortunately dissatisfaction with an item can be interpreted pretty loosely, so returns are the real problem.

Second assumption:

2). Everyone selling parts are out to get you.

Not everyone on the board is a crook. Don't automatically assume that if you haven't heard from someone you've bought a part from that they're trying to cheat you, and get on the board and make it public without at least trying to do a little research.

a. There are some circumstances where someone can be incapacitated due to a medical emergency, or a family issue, or whatever. Allow for that if you can't get ahold of someone.

b. Some of the guys on the board work some wierd hours that may not allow them to just stroll into the local UPS office during normal business hours. I can understand that, but if it's such an issue then maybe they shouldn't be selling parts to begin with unless they have someone who can run the parts to the shipping office for them! (refer to Point 1.c). If they're having trouble they should be willing to give the buyer some daily status to keep them happy.

c. Some people on the board actually depend on the proceeds from the parts sales to put food on the table. Similarly, there are people here on TIGHT budgets who when buying a part have to do without something else. This makes transactions VERY personal. Therefore anything you can do to make it less personal is good.

Ultimately if you get ripped off you have two choices: persue it legally (which isn't worth the money) or learn from it and move on. Taking simple steps in the beginning will help insure that you won't get ripped off.

I've had very good experiences 99.9% so far. I've only had one rough experience - which did NOT justify a public lashing on the board.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 07-09-2003 at 03:25 PM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:59 PM   #14
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

I've bought from several members with no problem . You will always find some dead beats in 8000 people.

Good Luck

Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:54 PM   #15
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

I've dealt on here for about three years now, bought and sold no major problems just one member about 2 1/2 years ago and I don't see him on here anymore. But I've met about 50 of these guys in person too!! All Great guys!! I sell more now than I buy but I'm not building anything right now. I agree with SUPERCHEVY though, its been lately some guys wanting some parts and I box it up and give them shipping price and I never here from them again. That really pisses me off when they do that. But I deal with it and try to resell it. Its a great board though!!!!!!!! Randy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:00 PM   #16
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I've had all positive deals and one currently I have a bad feeling about.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 06:36 PM   #17
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have done more selling than buying here over the last 2 years, and personally, i try to describe every little thing that is not correct. I tried to restore a steering wheel, it came out OK, but not outstanding...it was advertised as a crappy restoration, probably made it sound worse than it actually was.
So far, I have not had anyone ticked off, and if there is someone that is, I hope they will speak up. e-mail...PM...hell, do it here.
As for the stuff I have bought, there has been a couple items that were not advertised 100% acuratly, but they were all good enough for the money spent, and I felt they have all been good transactions.
It was amusing though when I had a torque converter shipped to me and the seller didn't drain it properly. The mail carrier (a hot looki young woman) was not very pleased when she knocked on my door covered with ATF.
I'm rambling....I'll shut up now.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #18
1969 GMC

I have only been here since February, and I have already had 3 good experiences buying parts (thanks again Pardue'sCustoms, WORNBRAKES, and Longhornmail). If it was always like that, it would be awesome.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:04 PM   #19
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I also have had very good transaction's on this board JOSE,TIM CHRISTIAN, BIG-O,TEEITUP are a few I have delt with. Communication is the big thing..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:17 PM   #20
cheyenne10

longhornmail

I have that steering wheel hanging in my garage. It will go on my 69/68 swb when it gets road ready. It probably won't make it past final paint and interior stage, I hope to cleanup and use the one I bought from Pont. You explained and sent pics to let me know what I was getting. I agree pics tell much of the story but my trucks often look better in pics that closeup. I also like members who have been on boards for a while and with good posts. I usually over time get a gut feeling for many posters.

I also find meeting memebers face to face helps confirm my online opinions.

Thanks to all those members who are loyal to the missions of these boards, you know who you are.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:34 PM   #21
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

I've had good luck with buyin' and sellin' on here. Most of the guys that sell all the time are upfront guys, that goes for new and used. If you see a '' red flag '' on someone follow up on the posts and see what goes on. Then decide if you want to buy from em'. The more your on here you catch on to the way it works . Have fun !!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 38YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:54 PM   #22
69sixpackbee

Nutt'in but good for me. In fact, there a a couple who chimed in here who I have personally dealt with and would not hesitate to in the future. You are in the right place with the right folks. trust me
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:47 PM   #23
nroden

I have great experience with GMCPAUL www.gmcpauls.com
and also Ron King when he still was in business. I haven't bought anything from Tim I believe the name is, yet.
I have bought from other independent board members with no problems. I as well have gotten some freebies but incisted on paying them for shipping plus a little extra.... I figure its only fair.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:21 PM   #24
casey

I've had great luck buying parts over the internet, like someone said make sure you got good communication going on, Hey landon4421 nice avatar, hey we got you going after the show girl thread hey LOL
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:02 PM   #25
Bowtie468

I haven't had any problems either! Like Bill72BB said, there will be a few deadbeats in 8000+ people. Just remember the previously mentioned names.

Chris
----------------------------------
1979 C10 Silverado Big10 SWB
Factory 454/400
Cardinal Red/Santa Fe Tan (original paint)

1969 Camaro X44 LS swap

1968 C10 SWB Fleetside (SOLD)
468BBC MultiPort TPI / Dynamic EFI P4
Black/Black

1963 Nova SS convertible (SOLD)
194 I6/ PowerGlide
Bowtie468 is offline   Reply With Quote