The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Pictorial of Five Year Build on RAT1968

I don't want to bore everybody with my life's story...Or with a bunch of pics that you may have seen before.
So, after putting this build in chronological order to the best I can remember (I'm old), and weeding-out dramatically,
I decided to post about 100 pics to my Smugmug account.

I have to say that I retired in September of 2008. My buddy Mike came to me and asked if I wanted the project he'd
started and wondered if he was going to finish. Let me say that Mike and I (and Jack...later for that) have started and
finished a bunch of projects together, including trucks, cars and motorcycles.

Mike, and his brother Jack, are about the best friends a person could have. Other than saying that, I'll say that we've
given and traded projects, cars, untold parts over the period spanning over 25 years...without keeping score. I'm not going
to get mushy here, but we'd all be lucky to have even ONE friend like either of these guys in my life. And, in these guys,
I have TWO.

Anyway, Mike had done a pristine job on the '71 roller. Including a new power steering set-up, rag joint, diff pumpkin, all
new 4.5/6 ECE drop and associated top-end parts. He'd checked the frame geometry. Mike, Jack, son-in-law Lance and I
delivered the roller, two cabs (71 and 68), a '71 front clip, a bed, and a 350 trans and 350 motor to my son-in-law's home
shop. That was in September of 2008.

Over the next three years, Jack brought me the 2004 Blazer seats as a gift, and Mike and Jack came back from time-to-time
to push and pull (lift cab, bed, front clip, strap the front to clean up the body lines, etc.) . Mike dropped by with a brand new
electric window set up. The good one from ECE...Lance helped drop the motor in, and was a major help with other heavy lifting.
Young grandson Will was there with a good eye for wrenching and a willing helping hand. Granddaughter Allie and daughter
Jessica fed me.

I think it was about two years ago that RAT came home. After a Mike and Jack trailered ride to the spaced out muffler-man
for installation of the twin 40 series Flowmasters. RAT had was now a '68 with a rattle can paint job on the cab, and '71 front clip,
and steel-floored bed.

Mike had been the recipient in a trade of my FJ Cruiser, in which I had installed a very high-end Panasonic stereo/dvd/GPS/sat
radio set-up. He decided to go with something even HIGHER end in the FJ. He said, "...this one's yours...here you go!!!". An OMG
moment, to say the least.

In my driveway, I suffered almost two years of stopping leaks, figuring out relationships between carb and distributor with the
help of a lot of you folks. ...Until, finally, (we all) got it right.

Until early June. An upcoming local (for fun) car show in Coarsegold made me spend $60 for matte black Trailer Supply paint.
I sprayed it in the driveway. Mostly, just to even out the rattle can job before the show.

At the show, Painter Lee came up and made Irene and me an offer we couldn't refuse. So, we decided to bury ourselves even deeper
in the Mercedes Palladium Silver Metallic (792).... Don't the math. Unhealthy.

This is my second 67-72 Chevy. I love it. And I love everyone that helped get here here. I'm sure more stuff will happen (right now
Tom's VA aluminum firewall plate is being anodized gloss black, and Rene's trim is getting ready for a windshield gasket redo).

We here on the Forum really all are good to each other. I've had fun sending extra parts to folks. Helping where I could. And staying
shut up when I wanted to help when I wasn't QUITE sure I had the correct answer.

If it's a slow Sunday (or whatever day), and you want to look at the RAT pics build of the over five year period in an abbreviated form,
just click the link and (below the search engine box on the page). Click "slideshow".

http://tinyurl.com/n9yrgae

Thanks again to everyone. Particularly Mike and Jack. Lance, wonderful wife Irene (who was less interested when I built the HD's or
BMW's...hahahaha!), Butch, Painter Lee, and all you folks here on the Forum..
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Drewski23

Re: Pictorial of Five Year Build on RAT1968

boy that is one sweet ride..

id like information on your radiator/fan setup if you dont mind.

Also did you ever consider going to rack and pinion? I was thinking about doing it on mine, just curious if there was a reason you decided not to? dont know much about it

the 4.5/6 looks good on there..thats probably what ill be going with also, im also digging the pin striping..something i was also considering

Last edited by Drewski23; 11-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Drewski23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Agent915

Hey Magwa,

Thanks for posting the link to those pictures! I really enjoyed looking through them. I'm doing the same type documentation on my build and I can relate to each phase of the process, except the finishing! One day!

Danny
Agent915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski23 View Post
boy that is one sweet ride..

id like information on your radiator/fan setup if you dont mind.

Also did you ever consider going to rack and pinion? I was thinking about doing it on mine, just curious if there was a reason you decided not to? dont know much about it

the 4.5/6 looks good on there..thats probably what ill be going with also, im also digging the pin striping..something i was also considering
Thanks.

Champion radiator bought from E-slay. Just dialed in 67-72 Chevy Truck. On the fans (the rad. fans), I just measured the radiator and went for the fans that had the most
"dimensional" coverage and the highest cfm. Balanced against the best price. Some of the fans were high $$$. These less expensive ones have held up so far. We'll see.
I got the temp control and electrics (relay, etc.) from Napa in a kit for $49.

Separate pusher fan for the condenser wired into the A/C "on" through a relay so that it turns on *every time* I turn on the A/C (not through the heater fan switch).

Rack and pinion?
Reason: Never decided. In fact, never thought about it. Any other reasons I may have considered, if I *had*' even thought about it, would start with a dollar sign.

Thanks much for the nice comments.
But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
MusicMan70

Magwa; Great truck, story and more important; that you can count Two friends like that. You are truly blessed.