The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
hotrod363765

Advice on lowering a 70 C-10

Hello and Merry Christmas to All you old truck guys.

My son and I would like to lower and airbag his 1970 C-10 longbox. So if we run 18's on the front and 20's on the rear how low can we go? I figured on C-notching the rear frame and dropped spindles on the front. How far can you go without getting into the front wheelwells? I also want to switch to a 5 lug pattern, easy on the front.... disc brake kit, but on the rear I will have to pull axle shafts and redrill a new pattern to get a 5 on 4.75 or is there a easier/better solution? Can anyone help me out with tire sizes and backspacing suggestions? I have good fabricating skills, lathe, bridgeport, tig welder...so I can do the mods. Any mods to the lower control arms? what kind of mods for the rear arms? I see the Porterbuilt front and rear kits, they look nice, are you guys good with their stuff? I'm sure I'm overlooking some things, so school me on what needs to be done here, this is our first truck! thanks, Jeff.
hotrod363765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
cool68

Re: Advice on lowering a 70 C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod363765 View Post
Hello and Merry Christmas to All you old truck guys.

My son and I would like to lower and airbag his 1970 C-10 longbox. So if we run 18's on the front and 20's on the rear how low can we go? I figured on C-notching the rear frame and dropped spindles on the front. How far can you go without getting into the front wheelwells? I also want to switch to a 5 lug pattern, easy on the front.... disc brake kit, but on the rear I will have to pull axle shafts and redrill a new pattern to get a 5 on 4.75 or is there a easier/better solution? Can anyone help me out with tire sizes and backspacing suggestions? I have good fabricating skills, lathe, bridgeport, tig welder...so I can do the mods. Any mods to the lower control arms? what kind of mods for the rear arms? I see the Porterbuilt front and rear kits, they look nice, are you guys good with their stuff? I'm sure I'm overlooking some things, so school me on what needs to be done here, this is our first truck! thanks, Jeff.
**so, have you done a search here for answers to your questions before starting a new thread on stuff covered many times before? have you gone through the section on builds to see what people are doing to their trucks? lots of help and ideas here but, doing some research first will help narrow the questions that you have. also, post some photos of what you are working.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
MattPSU

Re: Advice on lowering a 70 C-10

Here's my '72 SWB with Porterbuilt's Stage One front and Rear kits, with McGaughy's 2.5" Drop Spindles. My tires are about 28" tall and when aired out, the front's are into the wheels wells. I've removed the bump stop on the lower control arms but you could rework it or add an aftermarket bump stop to keep it from going all the way into the well well. I'm in the process of notching the rear to gain a few more inches of drop.

I get everything I can from Travis at Pro Performance. Click on the description of my mods in my signature to get to his website. He can also help you with your brake questions, backspacing issues, etc.

I would recommend the Stage One front kit and the Stage two rear kit if your thinking of adding the notch. I'm adding my after the fact, and I would have been better off just doing the Stage 2 rear kit from the start.

You CANNOT go wrong with Porterbuilt or Pro Performance.

Good luck! - Matt
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote