The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2003, 06:53 AM   #1
Ogre

Projects

Well.. right now I have my 86 burb, a 2002 neon, and my 95 Yamaha Virago.

Come January I'm trading in my neon with my fiancee's car and we're gonna try for a Denali XL, I'm really really really really hoping that the Duramax is going to be available for '04.

So I need to do some stuff to my 86 for it to be ready to be a daily driver again... pretty much in priority order:

Choke electrical connector
On the 86 Electric choke, this appear to be the only electrical connector... of course mine broke.

O'Reilly here has the Borg "BWD S371 Choke Heater Switch".. sound about right to anyone else?

Muffler
Tailpipes

Don't have a welding rig... and it would seem that it takes more than the $15 blowtorch... probably worth the $150 the local shop wants for the GlassPacks and new tailpipes.

Inspection
Since it's been sitting, it hasn't been inspected for two years, and no point in registering it either...

Thankfully I still get to say Emissions... what's that???

Shocks Front
Shocks Rear

I still twitch when I think about having rebuilt my old Accord... struts all the way around <eye twitching> and the nightmare I went through with that.... Is it a lot easier to do shocks? Is it just jack it up and bolt it in?

Transmission Rebuild
I was told last year that the previous owner had overheated the tranny, and I had about 6 months left on it... amazing what only driving 250 or less miles a month does for longevity.

Alas, that number needs to go way up.. I will need it whenever it rains, or whenever I have my kids...

I don't have the $1000 to shell out for a rebuilt tranny (with a warranty).

I've seen the "Master Rebuild Kit Plus" for about $130... anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth it? I've replaced clutches, but a transmission for the most part is a deep dark mystery box.

AC Recharge
Anyone know the capacity on the Dual Air system? Have I traced it correctly.. is there only one compressor? The rear AC still works great.. the front sucks...I need to call around here and see what they charge for flush and charge... with R-12 it's expensive though... hmm.. wonder if a road trip to Nuevo Laredo is in order...

AC Door
When the vacuum hoses were messed up what little cold air was blocked by the door in the vent duct... I pulled off the spring to hold it shut... now I need to get a new one to find out id I re-did the vacuum right.

Door Switches
Cheyenne Pickup Parts here I come

Windows
My front windows are sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
My rear on one side is sorta OK, the other side makes a nasty grinding sound when it gets all the way up or down... <sigh> tear down.

Locks
3 locks work with the power actuators... one doesn't, one of the ones that works is only about 75%.. it usually unlocks.. but sometimes doesn't get all the way there to lock.

Dash Lights
A nice member page that I found while googling.

Gas Cap tether
I'm going to lose it one of these days... need to find a gas cap that works.

Dash Cover
What's the general opinion... cover it or replace it? Anyone like their cover?

Stereo
I have a $29 special with the line in jack.. but it sounds like crap... probably has to do with my worn out factory speakers, and the fact that it's junky... How much cutting on an 86 to get a newer stereo in there? Anyone know a place to rebuild/swap out the original one?

Engine Rebuild
It takes money and time to rebuild an engine... with 183,000 miles it's probably getting to be around that time... It runs strong, and has minor annoyances -- it does burn oil... about a quart or so in about 1000 miles.. nothing to really be concerned with unless i move some place with stringent emissions...but since it's running, and running fairly well (no knocks..decent power) I'm not messing with it until I have to.

Any comments, suggestions, advice, warnings, recommendations, or caveats would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Ogre; 07-25-2003 at 07:17 AM.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
Ogre

More

Choke connector came in on the 5:30 truck this afternoon and while i was there...Well door switches were in stock for $2 how could i resist...hmmmm.. lights.. nice!

So now i have to wait till the first... damn it sucks to only get paid once a month...

Last edited by Ogre; 07-25-2003 at 10:51 PM.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote