The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
dr.delco

Unhappy Water pump pulley self destructed-HELP!

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or had it happen to them.
We're talking about a 64 truck with a stock 230 inline 6. Today my water pump pulley decided to separate itself from the water pump shaft. The water pump shaft spins easily, I do not believe it locked up. I have had many old cars and trucks and have never seen this happen. Any ideas as to the cause? Metal fatigue on a 50yr old pulley? Also, does anyone know what would be a good replacement for this pulley. Inline 230's are not that plentiful in the boneyards. It measures 7 1/8 in diameter. Thanks
dr.delco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
RANDY COX

Re: Water pump pulley self destructed-HELP!

WOW never saw that b4 either, I guess it could of had a hairline crack that finally give up.
Hopefully you can find one on the parts board, I would think they would be plentiful. As there were prolly more six's than 8's..
Old 03-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
AcampoDave

It's happened to me before on a 283. The pully wasn't quite as torn up as yours but I also had no obvious explanation. Got myself a Chinese made chrome one at Napa, painted it black and it's been good, for many miles now. Napa counter guy asked me if I was over tightening the belt but I didn't really think so.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
63burban
Chevy addict

For this reason they installed a re reinforcement plate on the hub of the water pump. Check to make sure your water pump bearings are good and a new belt. Do not over tighten.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I may be wrong but I was thinking that the small block short water pump pulley is the same as the I6 water pump pulley. That might be something to check into.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Old Truck Man

yes there is a reinforcement plate washer whatever on many. Metal fatigue. after a certain amount of time metal wears out and cracks. the old semi trucks it used to set in at about a million miles hairline cracks would begin to appear around rivets & bolt holes. leaf springs would break. With the air ride suspension & radial tires they last longer today. There are harmonics at work that fatigue out things like water pump & alternator bushings & bearings. The fan belts & pulleys are not in perfect balance. That water pump pulley is a stamped and formed part. metal is stretched and forced to take a unnatural shape. Having the belt groove so far from the center line of the hub is poor engineering. Its a wonder that it works,
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
dr.delco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I may be wrong but I was thinking that the small block short water pump pulley is the same as the I6 water pump pulley. That might be something to check into.
If my research (OE parts books) is correct, I'm finding that PN 3905995 should be the correct number for my truck's 230. Would this also be the short water pump single groove pulley used on many 1960's small blocks?

Unfortunately, I looked on my pulley and cannot find a stamping with a part number.

Last edited by dr.delco; 03-23-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: adding info
dr.delco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Dillon Rock

Mine did the same and hairline cracked. Got a new one off of a 283 v8 same and all and put a pulley spacer shine behind it and worked. Mine had a washer to space it off the hub to keep it from rubbing against the water pump bypass hose and that's what cracked the old one. Too small a shim will put pressure on the shims area and do that. I have a 292 so it was fun to hear it scrape against the harmonic balancer and leave a nice Shiney line on the back of it not to mention see coolant spitting out under pressure when it finally went through the bypass line.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.delco View Post
If my research (OE parts books) is correct, I'm finding that PN 3905995 should be the correct number for my truck's 230. Would this also be the short water pump single groove pulley used on many 1960's small blocks?

Unfortunately, I looked on my pulley and cannot find a stamping with a part number.
I believe I have one in the back of my parts truck. Let me look tonight. You can have it for shipping if its still there.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote