The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2003, 04:45 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Frigging light switch

Rant on.

I replaced my light switch back in January with a piece of crap GP Sorensen from Advance. I knew better, but did it anyway. Well, everyone knows how you turn it to the right to turn off the dash lights, etc. Turn it to the left to turn on the dome light. There is a little flat spot to where your dash lights are at their brightest, farther to the left and the inside lights come on.

Well, the GP Sorensen, the flat spot is just about not there. You can not even feel it unless you are really paying attention.

I go out a few minutes ago to start up the 85. Nothing. Not even a click. Interior lighs work though. As a matter of fact, they are even on with the damn door closed. Yep, you guessed it, left the interior lights on. This is the second time I've done this. All because of the junk GP Sorensen light switch.

Thanks goodness for battery chargers. Some of the best money I've every spent. Anyway, come Monday this light switch is history. I'm going to the dealer and buy a new GM switch.

Another to add to the list of why not to buy junk from Autozone or Advance.

Note to self. Self, don't buy any more junk from Advance.

Rant off.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow

Yeah shame on you mike

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Mike, the sad part is you never know. It seems like one part you buy may work well, and the next is junk. Hmmm? Kinda sounds like I'm describing LMC rather than Auto Zone.

We have PEP boys here, and I try to buy as much from them as I can. They "seem" to offer better quality parts, and sometimes you even get a counter guy that knows his chit.

I hate it when I walk in to Auto Zone with a light bulb in my hand, and they ask what year car is it for? 2wd or 4wd? Auto or standard? GRRRR!!

It's a freakin 1157 bulb you IDIOT. What isle are they on? Then you get the look, followed by 2 door or 4 door?GRRRRRR!

Makes ya wanna smack em!

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:02 PM   #4
C&C Chevy

I've been burnt by the local Pep Boys before, so you never know..

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:38 PM   #5
BigRed

Sorry to hear about the bum part Mike! I don't go to Pep Boys unless it's for accessories. I always go to O'Reilly's (formally Hi/Lo) or Autozone (in that order). I went to Pep Boys awhile back and they don't even carry TV (detent) cables! I was very suprised! The guy told me that they only carry "general maintenance" parts. He said the average guy can find his stuff there but if you want something a little more specific, go to O'Reilly's.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i still wont go to pep boys cause of that whole thing where they didnt want to extend benefits to servicemen for bushes latest war

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
DrMaserati
Village Curmudgeon

OK, let me get this straight. YOU left the interior lights on and drained the battery. Therefore it is the fault of the switch. I fail to see the logic in that.

Over the last 40 years I've probably done that or left the headlights on a number of times, but it never occured to me to blame it on the switch. You've just given me a new way to absolve myself of responsibility for my screw-ups.:p

JP
65 IH 1200C pickup, 4X4, 345, 4 spd
48 IH KB-8-F, RD-450, 5 spd, 35,000 GVW (a REAL truck)

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer." Harry S. Truman
DrMaserati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:59 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by DrMaserati
OK, let me get this straight. YOU left the interior lights on and drained the battery. Therefore it is the fault of the switch. I fail to see the logic in that.

Over the last 40 years I've probably done that or left the headlights on a number of times, but it never occured to me to blame it on the switch. You've just given me a new way to absolve myself of responsibility for my screw-ups.:p

JP
I see you failed to read the entire post I made. Of course I see you have failed before. :p

Last edited by swervin ervin; 08-03-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:03 PM   #9
lofat
Rollin' Member

that is a drag Mike. i am waiting to kill my battery because the cat that owned my truck befor me disconnected the buzzer that tells me when the lights are on and the keys out/door open.

since it is so gray during the day here sometimes i ride with the lights on, and it's not always so obvious that they are on when i park.

lofat productions
lofat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:09 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

That's the kicker here. NC requires you to have your lights on when it's raining, day or night. So, the other day it rained and well, I turn them off when I parked it in the garage. Just the slight blip of the knob and the interior light comes on. It's light out and you never notice it being on. Of course it comes on when you open the door anyway. You get out close the door and walk away.

No matter though, it will be changed tomorrow.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 08-03-2003, 09:20 PM   #11
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Time to install a buzzer switch. I forget to turn off mine too.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:34 PM   #12
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

sounds like you need dual batteries with a relay that brings on battery #2 only with the ignition switch "On"

oh and maybe doctor maserati should stick with his fancy italian cars... GM truck owners arent known to put up with $hit talkers for very long..

-mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:04 AM   #13
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by mike reeh
GM truck owners arent known to put up with $hit talkers for very long..
You got that right. We've been through our share, huh Mike?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:50 AM   #14
apstguy
LED King

Quote:
Originally posted by lofat
that is a drag Mike. i am waiting to kill my battery because the cat that owned my truck befor me disconnected the buzzer that tells me when the lights are on and the keys out/door open.

since it is so gray during the day here sometimes i ride with the lights on, and it's not always so obvious that they are on when i park.
Mine never came with a buzzer so what are you complaining about? lol I really need one too!

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:55 AM   #15
apstguy
LED King

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
Mike, the sad part is you never know. It seems like one part you buy may work well, and the next is junk. Hmmm? Kinda sounds like I'm describing LMC rather than Auto Zone.

We have PEP boys here, and I try to buy as much from them as I can. They "seem" to offer better quality parts, and sometimes you even get a counter guy that knows his chit.

I hate it when I walk in to Auto Zone with a light bulb in my hand, and they ask what year car is it for? 2wd or 4wd? Auto or standard? GRRRR!!

It's a freakin 1157 bulb you IDIOT. What isle are they on? Then you get the look, followed by 2 door or 4 door?GRRRRRR!

Makes ya wanna smack em!
You have NOOOO idea what I have gone through with the local Autozone. I only go there when I can get the stuff off the shelf. Everytime I have ordered a part it is wrong. How hard is it to find a gasket for a 350???? I ask them for the differential gasket and he gives it to me and it says DODGE on the back. DUH! I got to Kragen because everyone there except for one guy know more about a car then should be humanly possible (the one exception was the guy I had to show how to use his OWN computer system and tell him register 1's scanner is broken so go to another one) Maybe I go there too much..... nah!

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 01:52 AM   #16
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Parts is parts?

Mike, I don't know if I agree with you on this one. Sure, you got a bum switch. I'm just worried that if you bought a Delco switch, the chances might be just as high. My experience with their diesel glow plug controllers leaves me wondering if there is anything better about Delco stuff than anyone elses.

I get Delco stuff for dealer cost from a distributor in Oregon. I get GM parts (not the same as Delco, Delco is mostly tune up and electrical stuff) from my good friend in Idaho that runs a parts department. I get probably as good of prices on that stuff as anyone, and I buy from them whenever I can. The real reason isn't the parts quality or even the prices. I go with those guys because they aren't so dumb.

Anymore, when I need stuff and can't wait the few days to get it from the people above, I look up whatever parts I need before I go to the store (Autozone or Schucks) online, then I write down part numbers and prices and whether or not I expect the stuff to be in stock. That makes me pretty well armed against the sales droids and I have a decent chance of getting the stuff I want.

One more thing, I bought a wells brand headlight switch for my diesel, the dome light comes on BEFORE the reostat even hits that detent. That switch doesn't even give you the small bump before you can leave your lights on to cause a dead battery (or two with my diesel...)
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed

Last edited by ElGracho; 08-04-2003 at 01:55 AM.
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 02:10 AM   #17
DrMaserati
Village Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by mike reeh
oh and maybe doctor maserati should stick with his fancy italian cars... GM truck owners arent known to put up with $hit talkers for very long..

-mike
Gee, are we a bit touchy? Can't take a little good natured ribbing? I'll take a good old Chevy over a "fancy italian car" any day.

JP
65 IH 1200C pickup, 4X4, 345, 4 spd
48 IH KB-8-F, RD-450, 5 spd, 35,000 GVW (a REAL truck)

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer." Harry S. Truman
DrMaserati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:24 PM   #18
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Joe,

I do the exact same thing. I go online at Advance and see what they have and get part numbers. I then go to the store and tell them I want this part number. It sure does save a lot of headache dealing with some of these folks. They seem to like it pretty good too.

So, I went to Advance's site and seen they sold AC Delco headlight switches but would have to PDQ it. What does that stand for anyway, Pretty Damn Quick??? Anyway, I went Saturday and ordered it and you have to pay for it first.

I picked it up a little while ago and guess what, it works. It actually has a detent to where it stops before it turns the inside lights on. Feels just like the stock one did.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 08-04-2003, 12:32 PM   #19
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Mike, what's the Delco part number? I think I'll order a couple to replace the new one I just put in and the old ones that no longer have functioning dimmers...

Glad that you got it fixed!
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 12:42 PM   #20
PHOENIX

I hear you about the switches. Its best to buy these switches in person no matter who made it. That little "click" makes a big difference. My stock one had one heck of a click, I loved it. But the dimming part of it didnt work (not bad for 20 years of use). I was already ordering a bunch of crap (didnt know it at the time) from LMC. Got the switch in and was happy with it. But I do wish the click was a little more firm, but it is there for sure. No problems so far.

With that order from LMC I also bought a wiper switch. It looks good and works fine, but for some reason when its all the way off (LEFT) its not all the way left. Its like 1/4 of the way from all the way left.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:44 PM   #21
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

I'm pretty fortunate. I live in a small town of about 1900, and there is an auto parts store here that is owned and operated by a husband and wife team, who are both really into cars and trucks. They're more of a Ford family, but that's okay. They always know what I'm talking about, they beat everyone's prices, they'll order anything I want, in any brand I want. I have an open account there (since I own a business, and they're also a hardware store), so it's real handy.

I have a friend who works at Autozone in a nearby town, but I still won't go in there!
Old 08-04-2003, 01:25 PM   #22
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Joe,

the AC Delco headlight switch number is D1506A. It was $14.99 at Advance Auto Parts. It works like it did from the factory.

I still had the old one I had taken out. So, while I was at it, I used it in the van and got rid of the GP Sorensen I had put in there.

I'm telling you folks, them things are junk.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:30 PM   #23
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
So, the other day it rained and well, I turn them off when I parked it in the garage.
OMG!!!! MIKE DROVE THE 85 OUT IN THE RAIN

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 07:11 PM   #24
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Originally posted by 79BIG10

OMG!!!! MIKE DROVE THE 85 OUT IN THE RAIN
I was waiting for someone to catch that.

It's not like I started out in the rain, just got caught in it before making it back home.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:39 PM   #25
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin

I was waiting for someone to catch that.

It's not like I started out in the rain, just got caught in it before making it back home.
And you know he wasen't going to acutally push on the gas pedal and try and make it home quick
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote