The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
johnwaynejeep

Rust repair - no donor trucks available

I wanted to get everyones opinion on rust repair for my truck.

I live in Alaska and so far I have not found a single truck with good donor metal, I'm trying to gauge my options at this point.

The cab floor of my 74 GMC SWB is totally rusted through, I can stand on it, but I don't know for how much longer. the rust extends to what I believe are the cab body mounts, they're so bad that their starting to crumble and disintegrate. This is a beat up work truck and normally I'm not too concerned with rust, but if the body mounts are rusting through, I AM concerned about safety. I've not been able to find a good donor cab to replace the metal or the entire cab. Every one I've found has sever rust in the floor and I'm not crazy about replacing junk with a little less junk. Also I'm on a budget.

I figure I have several options:

1. Let it go until it's completely gone...I'm concerned about safety in the long run.

2. fabricate new body mounts from metal stock and weld it in place...this may require cutting out the majority of the lower cab to find good metal to weld to. I'm not sure I have the skills to do this, but I'll try anything.

3. build a simple internal roll cage and mount it to the frame and take the weight off the cab body mounts...I've never done this, I'm not sure how/if it would work out.

4. Any shade tree fixes anyone can offer up...I'm going for this one.

My budget is as low as I can get it...$0 is great, but not practical. I have access to several sheets of 1/8 steel plate and I'm a decent enough welder that I can make it functional, not pretty, but functional.

Any ideas
Thanks
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
donut

Re: Rust repair - no donor trucks available

On my '73, cab mounts weren't completely through, but close. My frame buckets were somewhat intact, and I just plated one side. Cut the new hole when I had new cab mounts in hand. (I did rad support mounts also.)

On the cab side. the rear mounts still had enough that a couple pieces of angle iron were welded on to help spread the load. The front mounts I found a piece of 1-1/2 channel iron (found in old barn) and fit it where the cab support used to run under the floor. (both sides.)

quick pic. I didn't take many. I was doing rockers, cab corners, floors, doors, etc.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
johnwaynejeep

Donut, that's perfect. I've got access to plenty of steel stock and plate metal and I can support it the same way or very similarly. If you have other pictures that would be great. If not, thank you for the suggestion, I think it will fit my situation perfectly.
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
donut

I may have a couple more. PO had purchased new floor pans (screwed and siliconed down)
2 more layers underneath (one was the skin off an old hot water heater)

This truck plowed since new, the Maine winters took their toll.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote