The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2003, 11:31 PM   #1
Denny

Richmond 6 Speed trans

Is anyone running a Richmond 6 speed stick in their truck? If so did you have any trouble getting it into these trucks. Also how do like it?
Also has anyone put a hydralic clutch in their truck?

Thanks
1969 Chevy C10. Dakota Digital Gauges, 383 Votex Engine, MSD 8361 Distributor, MSD 6A Unit, Demon Carb, Phoenix Transmission 4L80E trans, 3:73 Posi Rear End
Early Classics 6 Lug Disc Brakes and Spindles
All Stainless Lines

Last edited by Denny; 08-09-2003 at 11:34 PM.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:42 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

The richmond 6 spd bolts up to the stock bell, & is roughly the same lenght with bell as a 400 turbo& also take the same slip yolk as the 400 t. I didnt need to modify the drive line, as I was running a 400t originally. The auto trans crossmember had to be modified for the position on the trans mount tho . I run my sb in I 6 position, & have Jazz bucket seats, & the floor "hump" was modified to fit the 400 t after a minor body drop....so I cant really say how well the trans would fit the stock floor, or bench seat but guess there may be some floor mods with the low hump floor. I like the trans, ratios are 3.28,2.14,1.57,1.24,1, & .76......basically a close ratio box, with 1 lower & 1 taller gear as compaired to an M22 muncie. The gears are large & have a low helix angle(it whines like the old "rock crusher" in the 1st 4 gears). coupled with the 4.10 gears on a 28" tire, the old truck winds up pretty quick.......fun fun fun crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
ucmydust68
fuel

i have a notched bench seat for sale. it needs to be recovered but it is good condition. the stick will come right under the seat if it isnt notched. i didnt have to modifiy anything body wise. crossmember just a little. pm me if you need any other help.
ucmydust68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:43 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

And if you were to get ahold of Huck, he has done the hyd clutch on his 71.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:21 PM   #5
Denny

Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone. This 700R4 tranny is driving me nuts with vibration. I have had 2 different torque converters put in it and the tranny shop seems like they do not know what the problem is. I have just had it with it. I really hate to go to a 6 speed trans because I really don't want to cut the floor. But I really want overdrive and these guys around here can't seem to fix the tranny. I has corvette stuff in it and was completely rebuilt by them a couple years ago. I have $1,900.00 in it so far and it is a piece of junk in my book. I have to do some more checking on the 6 speed, if there is mods to the floor I probably will not want it. The hydraulic clutch would be a must because I have knee problems sometimes. I really like a stick, but do not want to tear up my truck putting it in. I am also worried about floor linkage, it seems like the only one available it Longs. I checked Lokar and they don't have one for this trans. I like the old style curved linkage that comes up high like Lokars.
1969 Chevy C10. Dakota Digital Gauges, 383 Votex Engine, MSD 8361 Distributor, MSD 6A Unit, Demon Carb, Phoenix Transmission 4L80E trans, 3:73 Posi Rear End
All Stainless Lines
Old 08-10-2003, 09:34 PM   #6
ucmydust68
fuel

hey man, its really worth putting the six speed in trust me. as for the floor, you only have to put a hole for the shifter and thats it. as for the linkage, use the factory pedal setup for a 3-4 speed, and go to napa and buy an adjustable clutch rod, you will have to drill a hole in the arm of the clutch pedal to hook the rod to, but it isnt bad at all. the entire swap took me a weekend, and i was back on the road. when you put the hydraulic linkage in make sure to use a camaro slave/master cylinder combo, it will save your legg and knee alot of pain. you will have to make a bracket to mount the master cylinder but some simple sheet metal and a way to cut it is all that is needed, and ofcourse you will have to drill a hole for the masterclyinder. the way i measured to make the hole, i took the clutch rod and mounted it on the pedal where i wanted it and extended it to the firewall inside of the cab, then i marked it, and took a punch and punched through. by doing this you get a center for your drill to go by when cutting the hole in the firewall. since the hydraulic line was too short i used Earl's braided hydrualic line, they will make it any length you need. i ordered my six speed from a place called speedomotive, they are an f-body salvage yard, i got the tranny, bell housing, clutch, flywheel, shifter, hydraulics, crossmember and pedals out of a doner camaro with 31,000 miles on it, all for 1500$. well if you have any questions dont be shy!! have fun!!
chris
Old 08-10-2003, 09:39 PM   #7
crazy longhorn

Denny, I have problems with my feet(flat arches, spurs?) At any rate, I run a dual friction centerforce clutch on modified stock linkage....it works pretty slick, & doesnt have a real high peddle pressure. I have driven some 3 finger aftermarket plates that d@mn near took 2 men & a boy to push the peddle down(Aaack), those arent fun to drive more than about a 1/4 mi at time! The centerforce is not really any stiffer than the stocker in the old trucks, but they get the clamp from the weights as the rpms go up. Centerforce is not a cheap clutch, but you get what you pay for Some of the guys are also running a Tremec tr3550/TKO 5 spd, & they dont fit too bad from what I understand. at any rate, the bcks spent "bite" when the end results arent they way they should be. Good luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 PM   #8
Denny

Thanks ucmydust68 and crazy longhorn. That richmond six speed sounds good from what you guys say. I just notice you lived in Missouri ucmydust68. Great to have some Missouri guys on here. I was looking at these trannys on Sallie Chevrolet sight. I have not been able to talk to them yet about a flywheel for the external balance 383 vortec engine, I would need a bellhousing, pedal assembly, clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing. I am sure my driveshaft will have to be either lenghthened or shorter. I would love to see one of these in a truck. the price of these transmissions is right at $2900 so I don't want to rush into something I may be sorry for. I figure it will cost me over $4000 to set this up.
All Stainless Lines

Last edited by Denny; 08-10-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:16 PM   #9
crazy longhorn

The swap on that trans was pretty close to $4000, going from auto to stick. I have a billet Hays flywheel, with the centerforce clutch, urathane cab bushings, & rod ends on the clutch linkage.... it sure wasnt cheap(the wifey still reminds me:p ), but its fun to play with The gears are quick, & lots of shifting......mine is not a daily driver tho..... the bummer is that I cant take it to Cordova & race it, still running the stock bell....crazyL
Old 08-10-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
Denny

Woops ment to say over $4000. That is why I don't want to rush into it. I need to find out how that hydralic clutch works with these trucks and transmissions. Are you guys using the Long company shifter handles on your six speeds?
All Stainless Lines
Old 08-10-2003, 10:39 PM   #11
ucmydust68
fuel

im using the factory camaro shifter
Old 08-10-2003, 10:40 PM   #12
Denny

Do you have to reach way down to shift it?
All Stainless Lines
Old 08-10-2003, 10:49 PM   #13
crazy longhorn

the handle shipped with the Long shifter was a very short, straight pc.....didnt work well even with the bucket seats(too long a reach for 5th & 6th gears). The handle I am running is custom made(by a crazy old man ). Long does have several optional handles to fit several different apps....the listing is in the papers shipped with the trans/shifter. You will find that the shifter is more "centered " in the hump than would be on aM20/21/22 Muncie in the truck. crazyL
Old 08-10-2003, 10:54 PM   #14
Denny

Cool thanks crazy longhorn. How close does it end up to the seat? I have a buddy seat getting uphostered right now.
All Stainless Lines
Old 08-10-2003, 11:14 PM   #15
crazy longhorn

Well, the longhorn has jazz plastic buckets, so I couldnt really say how it would be with a bench seat. My sb is mounted in I 6 position, so that sets back about 3 1/2" from factory sb spot. if you are factory spot on the eng mounts, that will give you a little room to play with......my guess is that the shifter will poke up pretty close to the front edge of the seat, & may need a special curve to clear the seat, or a little notch in the seat . crazyL
Old 08-10-2003, 11:50 PM   #16
Denny

Ack this is sounding bad. My seat is getting done right now. Sounds like the six speed may be too much trouble. I may have to try and find a good 5 speed overdrive. I really would like to buy new though. Also my 383 engine has 435 FT lb. torque.
All Stainless Lines
Old 08-12-2003, 12:40 AM   #17
Denny

After doing alot of reading I think I am going to go with the Gear Vendors under/overdrive unit with a turbo 350 trans. This would also give 6 forward gears and no lockup converter.
Any of you guys running a gear vendor setup or know anyone that is?
All Stainless Lines