The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
jcramsey

"Normal rust"....a craigslist rant

Can someone please tell me what "normal rust" is for one of these trucks? Asked craigslist seller if there were any more areas with similar rust other than the visible rocker panels/cab corners shown in the pics and he says "normal rust for a 69". Thanks for nothing, pal!

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: "Normal rust"....a craigslist rant

It is very subjective and you really need to look at the truck yourself in person and decide.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Heres a quick translation for "normal rust": It's rusty

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
GoaterAz

If it's not too far away, I'd take a look at it.

If it's far away, it doesn't sound like a guy I want to deal with.

There is no such thing as 'normal rust,' there are common areas for rust...that term is simply subjective.

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
tommys72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71sierragrande View Post
Heres a quick translation for "normal rust": It's rusty
that sounds about right

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Depending on where it spent its life in Charleston, that could be bad. Definitely check above the drip rails, UNDER the inside windshield gasket at the top, and above the windshield gently push on the metal. If it moves or makes crunchy sounds run. The cab will need major repairs.

Other than that, probably the door bottoms, fender bottoms, cab corners, and rockers all need repair for a "typical rust" South Carolina truck.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
jcramsey

From his lack of detail I was assuming it was almost rusted to he ground and held together with bondo and spray paint. He said he thinks the floors are solid....again, so helpful I agree on the subjectivity and the need to check it out in person. It's about four hours from me but only a half hour or so for my dad and brother. Gonna see if they can go check it out for me. I'm just more annoyed by vague three to four word answers to an email asking a fairly specific question....

The Government Mule
Old 10-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
slowcpe

What was said above plus lower kick panels, passenger side inner fender and front fender cups. You could easily put "normal rust spots" in an ad and mean basically the entire truck is a rust bucket.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Depending on where it spent its life in Charleston, that could be bad. Definitely check above the drip rails, UNDER the inside windshield gasket at the top, and above the windshield gently push on the metal. If it moves or makes crunchy sounds run. The cab will need major repairs.

Other than that, probably the door bottoms, fender bottoms, cab corners, and rockers all need repair for a "typical rust" South Carolina truck.
It's a NC truck so I'm hoping door bottoms etc as you said. I did look at a 67 out on James Island before and it looked like they drug out from the Harbor when they discovered the Hunley submarine.

The Government Mule
Old 10-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
It's a NC truck so I'm hoping door bottoms etc as you said. I did look at a 67 out on James Island before and it looked like they drug out from the Harbor when they discovered the Hunley submarine.
I love Charleston. My wife and I spent our anniversary there last week for 5 days. We try to go at least once, sometimes 2 or 3 times a year.

Charleston does not like classics. I saw a green 68 longbed that looked like it was dipped in salt and left in a sauna.

Doesn't like new cars either. Two years ago one of those carriage tours broke the mirror on my Z71 (it was parked).

Speaking of the Hunley, I saw it years ago when they first started to display it to the public. I then saw it last week again. It was cool to see how different it looked. The rust conversion is DONE. They started using a new solvent in the tank just a few months ago to start to dissolve/remove the cementious sea life material. The tank is full for 4 days, drained, then two people scrape a strip 2" wide all the way around the sub. That takes about 2 days, the 90,000 gallon tank is refilled with the water/solvent and sits for another 4 days. They said it should be complete in about a year, and then it will be moved a couple miles away to it's own museum where you'll be able to see it much better and NOT in a giant tank of water!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
davepl

I don't know how many non-rusted trucks are still out there, but buying mine with zero rust was a huge budget-saver. I think next time I'd try the metalwork myself, but paying someone else to do it is like hiring an attorney.

"Normal rust" on these trucks probably means all of the rust that rusty trucks normally have. Maybe he'll tell you which are surface and which you can stick a screwdriver through, but I wouldn't touch it without a personal inspection.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
ebfabman

How about a description of condition with "as found" or "driver condition" when describing a part(s) for sale. Don't ya love buyin old used stuff!!! sheeshh.....
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
In The Ten Ring

Our trucks all seem to have the same places for rust so I'd assume that's what the seller means. As for me, I'm down with paying more for less rust since I am not a body man.

I used to sell cars and although the lot manager was a slim ball, he was right about a few things and one of those was, "you can't talk price over the phone." Get over there, inspect it, drive it, test it out, get under it (with safety glasses on) and THEN talk price. Test drive might include a pressure test at a local shop.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 10-07-2014 at 07:41 PM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I like "rust free" It generally means the truck is more than half rust but if you buy it, you get the "rust Free".
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I used to look for rust free only. As time has passed and panels now available,I'd consider a truck with "minimal rust". As mentioned, normal rust means it's rusty because it's normal for a truck to have rusted out rockers,corners,cab supports,outer floor,cowl,right front fender bottom,door bottoms,core support,inner fenders,cowl area...
Rust, mechanical condition, or whatever, if the seller doesn't give informative answers you need to walk away or go look with ears turned off and see for yourself whether it's something you want r not. Generally, the first option will be the best. It just depends on how hard you are looking.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #16
Old Truck Man

Normal rust , rusted in the common areas, ready to restore, in very good conditiom for what it is. ect are not descriptions. Unless it tells something definite its all blather. The best way is to see it in person.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
Keith Seymore

Normal rust for a squarebody in Michigan means you can see through the fenders.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #18
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Rust, mechanical condition, or whatever, if the seller doesn't give informative answers you need to walk away or go look with ears turned off and see for yourself whether it's something you want r not. Generally, the first option will be the best. It just depends on how hard you are looking.
This is where I'm at. He's no help, and I'm not looking hard. If he's still got it in two weeks when I go visit my family, I'll go check it out.

The Government Mule
Old 10-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #19
TheCougarine

That kind of description has always been a huge pet peeve of mine, especially when someone is wanting the price of a perfect vehicle. I had a guy trying to sell me a car once that was full of rust but kept repeating it was perfect. He kept showing the me the NADA price for a car in top condition. Which was something like 13K. He just kept telling me every car that was 25 years old had rust and all the external plastics were gone. What a joke, a car no matter the year is not in "perfect" when its full or rust.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #20
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I love Charleston. My wife and I spent our anniversary there last week for 5 days. We try to go at least once, sometimes 2 or 3 times a year.

Charleston does not like classics. I saw a green 68 longbed that looked like it was dipped in salt and left in a sauna.

Doesn't like new cars either. Two years ago one of those carriage tours broke the mirror on my Z71 (it was parked).

Speaking of the Hunley, I saw it years ago when they first started to display it to the public. I then saw it last week again. It was cool to see how different it looked. The rust conversion is DONE. They started using a new solvent in the tank just a few months ago to start to dissolve/remove the cementious sea life material. The tank is full for 4 days, drained, then two people scrape a strip 2" wide all the way around the sub. That takes about 2 days, the 90,000 gallon tank is refilled with the water/solvent and sits for another 4 days. They said it should be complete in about a year, and then it will be moved a couple miles away to it's own museum where you'll be able to see it much better and NOT in a giant tank of water!
Let me know next time you come to town!

I agree the salt water air is rough on old cars that stay out near Folly/IOP and the other beaches. There is however a pretty good car scene down here with a fair number of events that happen on a regular basis.

Interesting to hear about the sub. We've been down here 4 1/2 years but I havent been to check it out yet. I've got to get out more.

The Government Mule
Old 10-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #21
Paul V

I am from the UK and have been trying to buy a C10 for some time.

I have had 2 trucks inspected @ $400 a time, both said 100% rust free both were lying though there Ass It then i realized what i think it rust free is not that same as most people! The one tuck you could put your hands though the bottom of the doors, and your feet though the floors, and the guy still says it is 100% rust free.

But 3rd time lucky i found what i hope is a good truck just got to wait until early January next year to find out.
Paul V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #22
special-K
Special Order

I've seen many people call rust bubbles in the paint surface rust. Yeah right, like the surface of an iceberg or that pair of eyes coming at you in the swamp

90% rust free means the lower 10% is gone.

I like the pinky size hole line. If a rocker has a pinky (or dime) sized hole, the panel needs to be replaced. Might as well be fist size.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-08-2014 at 09:15 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #23
franken

Normal rust is whatever rust the truck has. This vintage vehicle had at best primer over steel, and so they rusted from the inside out. We've all seen 1/4-3/8" rust pimples that are 1/8" on the other side. Nasty.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #24
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
Can someone please tell me what "normal rust" is for one of these trucks? Asked craigslist seller if there were any more areas with similar rust other than the visible rocker panels/cab corners shown in the pics and he says "normal rust for a 69". Thanks for nothing, pal!
What "Normal rust" means is the truck has been so eaten away by rust that he's gonna try to find a sucker who doesn't know anything to buy it.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #25
Acorn

I have a "dear lease/zombi apocalypse special" blazer that I always joke and say it has a rust free floor board. Because technically, big holes are not rust! I just put an "emergency exit" sticker next to the big hole and call it a custom option!