The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Jraeyre

1971 C30 time to get started...

Okay, so I bought my 1971 C30 late last year and dropped it at the mechanic to be made road ready and inspectable. It sat there for around 6 months and I finally brought it home with an inspection sticker. The fixed the blinker and the dimmer switch and told me I need a new steering column, but that is about it.

I got the truck home and found that it is a "death by a thousand cuts" project. First of all, I hadn't noticed that the previous owner had used it for a few years as a yard truck while building his house. This included using it to hold and haul sawdust from his bandsaw mill. Apparently he thought nothing of leaving sawdust on the roof so it could rust out and loading all down into the vent system (I'm still getting that cleaned out). So, it has rust holes over both doors and the headliner is fairly rusted out. I'll get to that later.

It has minor electrical problems that I am working through and a carb that does not function at all that is getting done next. While I am changing the carb the fuel pump and fuel filter will be done.

The good news is that it already has front disc brakes and power steering. The bad news is that the steering pump is rough, the steering box leaks a bit, the vacuum assist on the brakes leaks from the hose grommet and the shaft side and the brake master seems to leak through.

Now the question.....

Once the carb and fuel system is done (hopefully next week) I want to start on the brakes and steering. I am sure (with what I have learned in this forum) that I can do the steering column bearings. The steering box leak can wait (I hate leaks), but the brakes and steering pump are another thing. If I am going to replace the steering pump and the brake booster would it make sense to swap over to power brakes while I am at it??

Jra

2005 Silverado LT 2500HD 4X4 Duramax "Lil'Red"

2013 Sierra SLT 2500HD 4X4 Duramax "Big Red"
Jraeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: 1971 C30 time to get started...

The "brake booster" is the motive power for vacuum assisted "power brakes". Power disc brakes were stock as base equipment on a 71 C30. Power steering was optional though.

* VIN/Model Decoders
* Power Team Charts (engine/transmission/gear ratio)
* Post Your Pickup SPID Blazer SPID Suburban/Panel SPID
* RTFM
... Read The Factory Manuals... download 'em here
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
71swb4x4

If you need to work on brakes and power steering I would suggest a change over to hydro boost brakes. I added them to my 67 c30 and the braking difference is unreal. Granted, I was going from power drum to hydro boost discs but I still think you will see a pretty big change.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
flashed

Im in for another 1 ton build as I need to get busy on my 72 soon .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
In The Ten Ring

I came across a 1967 C30 stepside not too far away last fall and the price looked right. I didn't have the money though and my truck is still in pieces.

Good luck with your 1 ton. I think those are just neat.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
Jraeyre

So, I was mistaken and thought the power brakes were the ones that use the power steering pump. So, in general, I asked a few friends and they say the vacuum booster is adequate.

Another quick question:

My Dad is the service monster here on the farm and he went through this truck when it got here. He checked all service items and fluids for level and quality. When he got to the rear end he couldn't find the drain plug on the back (eyes not as good as the used to be) and ended up pulling out the "load screw". Once he realized it was not what he was looking for he put it back in, but I wonder if it is supposed to be adjusted a certain way. What does this do and how should it be adjusted?

Old 11-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
SS Tim

The "Load Bolt" as it is commonly known, bears against a shoe/thrust pad to control ring gear deflection under load. It is set with a static clearance of 0.005-0.007". Here is the clip from the factory overhaul manual on the proceedure.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Jraeyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
The "Load Bolt" as it is commonly known, bears against a shoe/thrust pad to control ring gear deflection under load. It is set with a static clearance of 0.005-0.007". Here is the clip from the factory overhaul manual on the proceedure.

Thanks Tim. Great info and getting info to track down new pad and will replace and readjust it.

Jra