The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Aruba1

Replacing door bottoms

I did a search on the forum on this subject but I have not been able to find detailed information about how to replace the door bottoms. From reading different threads, you suppose to cut the rust and use the aftermarket door bottom to cut pieces off it and patch them in. Mine is pretty well rusted out so I am thinking about cutting the whole bottom and install the new piece. I won't touch the outer skin since they are in good shape. Any help is appreciated.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Hogshooter

Re: Replacing door bottoms

Look in builds in Rusty Crusty Leaky Squeaky Vic does a door bottom on his truck.
Hogshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Aruba1

Got it! Thanks

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...y+Leaky&page=2
Old 12-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
hugger6933

How much body experience and welding and grinding time do you have in? I wouldn't recommend this patch panel for a first timer. There is a double wall in there to deal with as well as spot welds to drill out to get the bottom loose from the door shell before removal. I'm sure you can find a you tube or something like that but it is not as easy as it sounds. I am not trying to scare you nor give you a false hope in fixing your door I'm sure you probably can be walked through it. Also remember that those doors rust from the inside out and some of my [or so I thought] best doors looked pretty tough on the inside once I cut open one of them to beat out a dent. I would be glad to help you through the door repair if you need me just holler I have helped a few on here before. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Aruba1

Thanks for the advice and heads up Jim. I don't have much experience per se but I am getting there quick, lol. My body work experience started 6 months ago. I replaced the rear cab corners, rocker panels, some welding/cutting, bondo/fiberglass some areas and did my first paint job two days ago. I painted the truck in the open air and it turned out quite well for a first timer, considering the temperature got as hot as 63 degrees and it started to rain an hour after I finished (luckily I pushed the truck in the garage as soon as I was done). I used single stage Starfire Acrylic Enamel Arctic White to keep cost down in case I mess up. Being the only automotive paint I ever used, I believe it went quite well. I got some orange peeling but I believe that will be okay Snow White pays a visit to the buff man in a few months. I reckon I'll give the door bottoms a try :-). Sorry about the side track, lol.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
hugger6933

Let me give you a hint from a body shop owner, Base coat clear coat is the only way to go. When you price it out there is not much difference if you use Omni paint[PPG's little brother]I've used it for about 15 years and like it all they make everything from epoxy to clear and can save you anywhere from 15 to 90% in paint and material costs. The bc/cc system is easier to spray and more forgiving than the single stages of other types of paint in my opinion. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
Aruba1

Thanks Jim. To be honest, when I purchased the paint I was intimidated by the mixing ratio as I did not understand them. No joke. That is why I wanted to go with single stage for simplicity. My next project is a VW Baja and that may be painted bc/cc. My uncle paints car for a living and he was a great help. He only use Omni Paint and it lays very good.