The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

RESULTS are in after adding Engine Restore!

On a previous thread I explained how my mid 70's Chevy c20 454 had no power and it felt like I was dragging a big A-S boat anchor. I asked members advise on using Engine Restore or Marvels Mystery Oil to bring back some youth in ol big block. After reading members post and researching online I choose Engine Restore. The original compression on 1,3,5,7,4 & 8 cylinders started at 120lbs per cylinder and 2 & 6 started at 95lbs per cylinder, I only drove my truck 10 miles or so after pouring in the Engine Restore and did another compression test, cylinders 1,3,5,7,4 & 8 are now 130lbs per cylinder and the other two cylinders are 110lbs. I didn't expect much, if any of a difference especially only driving for 10 miles but it definitely worked! Still feels like I'm dragging a boat anchor but it does have a bit more pep and does runs smoother. I know this is just a temporary fix and the 454 needs rebuilt but I'm actually amazed this worked as well as it did. Now I'm contemplating adding another bottle of Engine Restore, what do you think?

Last edited by savatreatabvr; 12-27-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: wrong numbers
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Re: RESULTS are in after adding Engine Restore!

I think the results won't last very long. I had an absurdly tired Ford 240-6 that ran pretty well, though it would foul plugs every 1500 miles, and it consumned heroic quantities of oil. Compression was uniformly low. I forget how low, but I recall wondering how it could even run.

I tried STP Engine Treatment, Restore, heavier oil, etc. It certainly worked, though only for a hundred miles or so. After that, lifters commenced clattering, performance--what little there was--got worse and the truck behaved exactly like you'd expect from a '66 F100 with several hundred thousand miles.

Eventually, one of my lifters clogged full of gunk, dried out, and collapsed, and that was all she wrote. When I pulled the engine and tore it down, I found all manner of sludge in there. It was a used motor in a used-up truck, and I was on a budget, so I ran it as long as I could. Were I in the same boat again, I'd leave the additives on the shelf.

My advice is to save your money, run the recommended oil, drive it sparingly and carefully, and rebuild it when you can.

Best of luck! Those 454s are a blast to drive.

Last edited by Oregoon; 12-28-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: I don't type so good 'cause my fingers are the size of Summer Sausages.
Oregoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
savatreatabvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoon View Post
I think the results won't last very long. I had an absurdly tired Ford 240-6 that ran pretty well, though it would foul plugs every 1500 miles, and it consumned heroic quantities of oil. Compression was uniformly low. I forget how low, but I recall wondering how it could even run.

I tried STP Engine Treatment, Restore, heavier oil, etc. It certainly worked, though only for a hundred miles or so. After that, lifters commenced clattering, performance--what little there was--got worse and the truck behaved exactly like you'd expect from a '66 F100 with several hundred thousand miles.

Eventually, one of my lifters clogged full of gunk, dried out, and collapsed, and that was all she wrote. When I pulled the engine and tore it down, I found all manner of sludge in there. It was a used motor in a used-up truck, and I was on a budget, so I ran it as long as I could. Were I in the same boat again, I'd leave the additives on the shelf.

My advice is to save your money, run the recommended oil, drive it sparingly and carefully, and rebuild it when you can.

Best of luck! Those 454s are a blast to drive.
A few of my lifters are kinda funky, I can tighten the rocker arm nuts more than the others to the point of the studs showing more threads. I thought the lifters may be collapsed but I don't have any chatter, ticking or knocking. Can this be a sign of weak lifters or maybe weak valve springs?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Flat cam?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

A collapsed lifter will tick to beat hell at idle--loud and sharp--and it can decrease as RPM increases, though usually it sounds like a sewing machine. The point I was maing is that you have hydraulic lifters and a tired motor. Who is to say how much crud is is in there? By using additives or solvents you'll plug oil passages, or knock sludge loose and only wind up shortneing the life of your already aging motor. Additives are quick fixes... As the saying goes: Fast, cheap and easy. Pick any two.

If you have a tired motor, there's really no saying what's happening though it's a safe bet that it's not good. They simply wear out... I wish I could give you a band-aid repair that would get you through until funds allow a solution.

I've been in your spot too many times, and it's a real pinch. Best bet is to simply treat it as well as you can and start squirreling some coin away until you xcan afford a proper rebuild.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

A collapsed lifter will tick to beat hell at idle--loud and sharp--and it can decrease as RPM increases, though usually it sounds like a sewing machine. The point I was making is that you have hydraulic lifters and a tired motor. Who is to say how much crud is is in there? By using additives or solvents you'll plug oil passages, and/or knock sludge loose and only wind up shortneing the life of your already aging motor. Additives are quick fixes... As the saying goes: Fast, cheap and easy. Pick any two.

If you have a tired motor, there's really no saying what's happening though it's a safe bet that it's not good. They have a wear cycle, and eventually wear out... I wish I could give you a band-aid repair that would get you through until funds allow a solution. And if I did, I'd sell it cheap and retire a billionaire.

I've been in your spot too many times, and it's a real pinch. Best bet is to simply treat it as well as you can and start squirreling some coin away until you can afford a proper rebuild.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

Sorry for the double post. Stupid technology... I'll be out in the shop with my collection of inliners and a cassette tape of Waylon Jennings.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #8
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
On a previous thread I explained how my mid 70's Chevy c20 454 had no power and it felt like I was dragging a big A-S boat anchor. I asked members advise on using Engine Restore or Marvels Mystery Oil to bring back some youth in ol big block. After reading members post and researching online I choose Engine Restore. The original compression on 1,3,5,7,4 & 8 cylinders started at 120lbs per cylinder and 2 & 6 started at 95lbs per cylinder, I only drove my truck 10 miles or so after pouring in the Engine Restore and did another compression test, cylinders 1,3,5,7,4 & 8 are now 130lbs per cylinder and the other two cylinders are 110lbs. I didn't expect much, if any of a difference especially only driving for 10 miles but it definitely worked! Still feels like I'm dragging a boat anchor but it does have a bit more pep and does runs smoother. I know this is just a temporary fix and the 454 needs rebuilt but I'm actually amazed this worked as well as it did. Now I'm contemplating adding another bottle of Engine Restore, what do you think?

Were both compression tests performed when engine was at operating temperature?

I tried using engine restore on a tired 396 several years ago. Couple hundred miles later I wiped out a cam lobe on #8 cylinder. I never used the stuff since.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
dfrank

Only time I used engine restore was to get a derby car to quit smoking to avoid a DQ. It worked but I am sure it did some nasty things although I couldn't for the life of me get that dang 305 to blow up. I tried so hard afterwards too. Lol
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
Hiluxxulih

I used Marvels Mystery oil on my 85 Chevy with a 305 when the lifter started ticking and it worked doesn't make the noise anymore , me and my brother thought it spun a rod bearing at first so we dropped the oil pan and pulled all the rod caps to check the bearings ( they were like new ) and then we found out why the lifter was ticking the previous owner apparently did not like changing the oil , and chunks of carbon in the oil screen and plastic pieces from the timing gears .
Old 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
savatreatabvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Were both compression tests performed when engine was at operating temperature?

I tried using engine restore on a tired 396 several years ago. Couple hundred miles later I wiped out a cam lobe on #8 cylinder. I never used the stuff since.
Yes the 454 was at operating temperature.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:31 AM   #12
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoon View Post
...After that, lifters commenced clattering, performance--what little there was--got worse...
similar thing happened to me after knuckleheads put wrong weight oil in at Jiffy Lube in my '97 Tahoe (I know I know should have done it myself, but I was behind on an oil change and busy as heck)

took it to a shop, shop said they checked out / looked at my rockers (big lie, you need to take off the air compressor to remove the driver side valve cover, and the parts looked untouched and dusty) shop said $480 bucks to have new hydraulic lifters installed

I said thank you very much went home drained the oil, poored in my beloved AutoZone cheap but brand new proper grade oil, and in 30 seconds after starting the car she went from chattering to purring like a kitten again

lesson learned maybe don't mess with valve adjustment just change the oil, experiment with different grades (since she's an older truck) till you get favorable results
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Oregoon
Roadside Rebuilder

If it's as worn out as it sounds, there's nothing to be done but bite the bullet and have it rebuilt. What were the compression numbers?

You could look into a used engine, but that's often a huge headache and leaves you with nothing more than you had. Unless you know the engine's history and know the seller personally, I'd shy away from anything used.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #14
boatpuller

My thought on stuff that supposed to work by " filling" in scratches and grooves is what else is it "filling" in that it shouldn't.