The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
66kenny

driveshaft

I am switching to automatic transmission in my 66 stepside. the trans is coming out of a 66 fleetside long wheel base. i dont think i can use either driveshafts that i have. any ideas on what to get? thanks
66kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: driveshaft

First you need to determine what type of tranny is coming from the donor truck. I.e. trurbo 350, 400 etc. Just because it's from a '66 truck doesn't mean it came that way factory. My '66 had a turbo 400 when I got it and my motor was the stock 283. Compounding the mystery, my stock column seemed to have an indicator for a 2 spd powerglide. Not only do trannys vary with regard to the splines on the yoke, they also have different overall lengths. Step one is find the proper yoke, then insert it midway into the installed tranny and measure to the opposing yoke on the differential. You're basically measuring from the deepest part of the u-joint receivers end to end. Then you will know what kind of yoke and how long a shaft. You can then begin searching, or just take the yoke and your measurements to a drive line shop.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
66kenny

Dave
Thanks, the transmission is a 2 speed power glide. Its coming off a 250 6cyl and going on the same. Only difference is the wheelbase length. Also the one on the manual seems a lot fatter than the one on the automatic probably due to the difference in length. Anyway I probably will take them to a shop, I was just wondering if there might be an easier way with a different year modet etc. thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #4
AcampoDave

I would start by looking at automatic or even 3 speed column shifted trucks for potential donors. Also, If you can at least find a match with regard to the yoke and the rear diff, the drive line guy can weld in a proper length tube incorporating the u-joint ends you provide on the donors. Then, some new joints, the proper yoke and presto...
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:17 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would use what you have and just have it shortened. The 'fatter' driveshaft should be the HD shaft which will use a different carrier bearing (HD) than your light duty driveshaft. On a shortbed a single piece driveshaft is an option. You would just need to find a large enough diameter and long enough, driveshaft from a donor that can be shortened to fit your truck.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
66kenny

thanks to all for the info. Being my first project and new to this your info is surely needed. thanks again
Old 01-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
frankslagoon

Do you have a 3sp or a trk 4sp. and is the driveshaft one piece or two. if ya have a three sp. the shaft might be the same . if ya have a two piece this might be a good time to go to a one piece. should able to do that, right guys? I never had a shortbed with a trk 4 sp. so I'm not sure how they are set up.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote