The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
encasedmetal

Anyone bought a 2003+ GM vehicle to put parts on their C10?

I am just wondering if I bought a 2003 or newer GM truck, SUV etc for parts, what all I could use with no maximum fabrication. I know I could buy a 98-02 fbody and use the drivetrain, radiator and gas tank for sure, but I am mainly wondering about the following items for more of a one stop shopping experience if anyone has experience or thoughts
drivetrain- I know this will work
radiator
a/c and heat- as in under the dash
front seats-including seats, should work fine
gauges
wiring- not only engine/trans harness, but gauges, lighting etc?
master cylinder-any issues besides mating to 63' firewall?
rear brakes
rear end- would width be too much of an issue or could wheels be made to fit?
any other odds and ends
encasedmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Anyone bought a 2003+ GM vehicle to put parts on their C10?

Depends on your abilities really. I have a 2005 Model engine and trans in my 65, 71-72 rear and front suspension.

Look at the Ls page here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
encasedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Depends on your abilities really. I have a 2005 Model engine and trans in my 65, 71-72 rear and front suspension.

Look at the Ls page here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=206
I know I'll have little issue swapping, the engine, trans, it's the other stuff on the list I am wondering about
Old 03-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
66LSx

2004+ here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYKY...ature=youtu.be

Items Retained

Engine (5.3L LM7)
Transmission (4L60e)
Gas Pedal (Drive-by-Wire)
ECM Computer (LS Swap)
MAF Sensor
Driveshaft Yoke
2004 Silverado Regular Cab Seats (2 buckets+ center jump seat)
Power Steering Pump (for when I complete my PS conversion)
--------Did NOT have any desire to do brake stuff as I will be doing hydroboost
Fan Relays (I have seen guys utilized the elec fans themselves)
Original OEM Harness
Power and Grounding Straps
Battery Cables
Alternator
2012 GMC Sierra 5.3L 4x4 CCSB
66LSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
encasedmetal

thanks, pics in your thread aren't coming up for me though. how come you didn't use the other items on my list like the radiator etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66LSx View Post
2004+ here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYKY...ature=youtu.be

Items Retained

Engine (5.3L LM7)
Transmission (4L60e)
Gas Pedal (Drive-by-Wire)
ECM Computer (LS Swap)
MAF Sensor
Driveshaft Yoke
2004 Silverado Regular Cab Seats (2 buckets+ center jump seat)
Power Steering Pump (for when I complete my PS conversion)
--------Did NOT have any desire to do brake stuff as I will be doing hydroboost
Fan Relays (I have seen guys utilized the elec fans themselves)
Original OEM Harness
Power and Grounding Straps
Battery Cables
Alternator
Old 03-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The radiator won't work without extensive modification to the inner fenders and moving the battery. Installing the A/C and heat will require a good amount of rework and modifications. The seats can work. Many have used the later model seats in their '60-'66 trucks. The gauges will require modifications to install into the '60-'66 dash. The body wiring harness will need to be reworked. The booster and master can be used. I make a bracket for that. The rear differential will be quite bit wider than a '63-'66 12 bolt. You will have to at least run wheels with a deep backspacing similar to the factory wheels. This may or may not work regardless, depending on whether you have a fleetside or stepside and whether your truck is lowered and how much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encasedmetal View Post
I am just wondering if I bought a 2003 or newer GM truck, SUV etc for parts, what all I could use with no maximum fabrication. I know I could buy a 98-02 fbody and use the drivetrain, radiator and gas tank for sure, but I am mainly wondering about the following items for more of a one stop shopping experience if anyone has experience or thoughts
drivetrain- I know this will work
radiator
a/c and heat- as in under the dash
front seats-including seats, should work fine
gauges
wiring- not only engine/trans harness, but gauges, lighting etc?
master cylinder-any issues besides mating to 63' firewall?
rear brakes
rear end- would width be too much of an issue or could wheels be made to fit?
any other odds and ends
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:39 AM   #7
joedoh

well I wouldnt recommend it for everyone, but I cut the firewall and floor out of a 1962 C10 SWB and cut everything but the firewall and floor off a 1998 s10, leaving all the systems and drivetrain intact, and welded the two together. it is LITERALLY the old body and the newer everything else. Look around the forum a while and find a common problem I did not solve: efi, highway gears, disc brakes, power brakes (I eventually did a hyroboost, bolted right in), wiring upgrade, 5 lug, close ratio power steering, overdrive, modern heater and AC, narrowed rear end, inboard frame mounted gas tank, and about a hundred other things. and my most recent fillup tells me I am averaging 23mpg combined.

I know you want the least amount of fab and mine had some fiddly stuff I had to farm out, like the steering column relocation was particularly heinous. I even had to do the cab swap over again with a 65 big window because the DMV wanted it to be a 98 (only had a bill of sale for the 62 but a title for the 98, this was the least work/most donuts solution for them)

figure out what you really want. I really wanted to pop the hood and show off a 4 cylinder, with big steamroller wheels. If you want modern reliability why not just drive the modern truck? if you want to drive the old truck with the least amount of trouble check out the project threads, some of the artists on this site make a strong case for runnin what it brung. I have a lot invested but no where even close to what a full air ride setup with a lowered crossmember costs, not even getting to the motor, so there is that.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:42 AM   #8
encasedmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The radiator won't work without extensive modification to the inner fenders and moving the battery. Installing the A/C and heat will require a good amount of rework and modifications. The seats can work. Many have used the later model seats in their '60-'66 trucks. The gauges will require modifications to install into the '60-'66 dash. The body wiring harness will need to be reworked. The booster and master can be used. I make a bracket for that. The rear differential will be quite bit wider than a '63-'66 12 bolt. You will have to at least run wheels with a deep backspacing similar to the factory wheels. This may or may not work regardless, depending on whether you have a fleetside or stepside and whether your truck is lowered and how much.
it's a 63' stepside, rocker will be 6" from the ground. and the above is exactly what I'm looking for- thanks for that.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #9
aspiringthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
well I wouldnt recommend it for everyone, but I cut the firewall and floor out of a 1962 C10 SWB and cut everything but the firewall and floor off a 1998 s10, leaving all the systems and drivetrain intact, and welded the two together. it is LITERALLY the old body and the newer everything else. Look around the forum a while and find a common problem I did not solve: efi, highway gears, disc brakes, power brakes (I eventually did a hyroboost, bolted right in), wiring upgrade, 5 lug, close ratio power steering, overdrive, modern heater and AC, narrowed rear end, inboard frame mounted gas tank, and about a hundred other things. and my most recent fillup tells me I am averaging 23mpg combined.

I know you want the least amount of fab and mine had some fiddly stuff I had to farm out, like the steering column relocation was particularly heinous. I even had to do the cab swap over again with a 65 big window because the DMV wanted it to be a 98 (only had a bill of sale for the 62 but a title for the 98, this was the least work/most donuts solution for them)

figure out what you really want. I really wanted to pop the hood and show off a 4 cylinder, with big steamroller wheels. If you want modern reliability why not just drive the modern truck? if you want to drive the old truck with the least amount of trouble check out the project threads, some of the artists on this site make a strong case for runnin what it brung. I have a lot invested but no where even close to what a full air ride setup with a lowered crossmember costs, not even getting to the motor, so there is that.

I like that idea!!
aspiringthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
65sub

here's a build that is just starting using a 2006 chassis http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=660264
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote