The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #1
javelinmania

Other Beds for a 67-72 SWB

I currently have a Dodge Utiline (Stepside) Bed on my 70 Chevy C10. It needs a new tailgate and while pricing out a new tailgate, it occurs to me that I might be better to look at other bed options. Yes - I know its not original - but thoughts on other beds (make and years) that look good on our old trucks. Eventually I will put a proper year bed on it but need something that looks good for the time being.

So if you have seen a truck with a different bed on it and it looks good, I would be interested in what it is - and a picture would be great.
javelinmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Other Beds for a 67-72 SWB

A lot of guys put sportside beds [88-98] on their trucks but I don't think they look very good either but to each his own I know a guy that took off his step bed to put on a sportside bed.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

There are four pickup beds that work right on these trucks: Fleetside, Stepside, Wideside, and Fenderside. I'd sooner make a flatbed or* find a cheap utility bed than use one from another make. Just my opinion. I had a dodge Sweptline I swapped to Utiline. The Ford Flaresides have super tall bedsides that help haul more cargo but look goofy. I guess that's why most were Stylesides.

* or fabricate your own bed. I think something like on an M37 looks good
https://www.google.com/search?q=kais...iw=842&bih=403

Back in earlier years you could buy a cab & chassis with full running boards and rear fenders and make a wooden pickup bed. If you could get some GM fenders and make the rest, I think it would blow a li'l Red wagon or Warlock Utiline away. Maybe make supports from steel strip for that blacksmith/wagon builder look
http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/images/_WED6302_lg.jpg

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
CaliCode

my truck currently sports an 88-89 "sportside"
Attached Images

CaliCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
LMREESE

A logger's box looks a lot like the m37 beds. I agree special k, those beds are awesome
Old 03-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinmania View Post
I currently have a Dodge Utiline (Stepside) Bed on my 70 Chevy C10. It needs a new tailgate and while pricing out a new tailgate, it occurs to me that I might be better to look at other bed options.
To each, his own. I'd like to see a picture of your truck with the Dodge bed.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCode View Post
my truck currently sports an 88-89 "sportside"
I have a 68 SWB stepside on my 72.

I also have a project 68 SWB, and a short "sportside" I'm considering putting on it. The only thing I don't like is the squared fender openings on the rear and the contrast between those and the rounded front fender openings.

I'd LOVE to see a thread on cutting those out and fabbing fiberglass round openings to match the front openings. I've never done fiberglass before (I know, new stuff scary and fiberglass I'm told is easy) but I don't want to document what I do if I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 03-15-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: error
Old 03-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
mechanicalman

Can anybody Photoshop one of these beds onto a 67-72? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
javelinmania

I've attached photos of the truck with the Dodge Utiline bed. I actually like the looks of the bed - except for the tailgate. When I look at prices to replace the tailgate, I ask myself, is there another option of using a later model Chevy bed that will look good and cost about the same or not much more than a new tailgate. An earlier reply showed a truck with a newer bed that looked good. The last picture posted is the frame that everything is going on. My current frame had been shortened and the picture shows an original 68 SWB frame with updated components just begging for a transplanted body.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #10
cooperhw

I personally like the 73 to 87 (square body) step side bed on the 67 to 72's. But that's just me. J.M.O.

Oh yeah, and they are fairly cheap and easy to get. A complete bed with tailgate is around $400.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 AM   #11
CaliCode

Not mine but for sale (not a bad deal either) and is a 73-87 stepside as cooper has mentioned
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4920726927.html
Attached Images

CaliCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:54 AM   #12
mechanicalman

Thx.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
LMREESE

Why not just go back with the correct bed? Can they really be that much more than all these other suggestions? I wouldn't think so especially with the time it takes to fit everything up.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMREESE View Post
Why not just go back with the correct bed? Can they really be that much more than all these other suggestions? I wouldn't think so especially with the time it takes to fit everything up.
I never asked that question because to me the answer is obvious. A Paint to match/set it on bed for a GM is worth good coin and the new parts are a couple thousand. I assumed the reason for even asking the question was to avoid spending all that. With so many hopping on the 67-72 GM Truck bandwagon it has driven prices through the roof. It always amazes me to find a downright bargain anymore because I can't believe there could be anyone left in the world who wouldn't know. I figure just buying a pair of fenders and making the rest could be done cheaper, but just the cost of fenders ain't cheap. A bed done like the old truck I showed would do the trick and bring many compliments. Could do it in a way to lend a "rustic" touch to the truck that compliments the rest of the truck without making it look like "Now it's time to address the rest of the truck"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-16-2015 at 09:08 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
javelinmania

Cost at this time is a big factor. I would love to put a proper bed on the truck - but to find one in really good condition is hard to find. I have an original bed in not so great condition that will take a lot of work to make it presentable sitting waiting for when I want to tackle the job. Yes, I could order all new parts and then put in a fancy wood floor and have a fantastic looking truck - but that is down the road a ways. A new tailgate for the existing bed is $400 (including shipping) and I have seen newer beds in good condition in that range. Of course, the effort to put on a new tailgate vs. the effort of retrofitting a different bed has to be taken into consideration. So, I am exploring options at this point in time.