The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
bbj3316

Tailgate assistance

I have to the change the tailgate on my 1982 gm truck. Anyone have any advice, or possibly a video on removing and installing the latch mechanism? I have no clue.
bbj3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: Tailgate assistance

Just took my handle and latches out this week. Pop the rods out of the back of the handle, remove the 3 screws and the the handle will come out. As for the latches, Undo the arms from the latches on the tailgate. You'll have to put something underneath to hold the tailgate from falling down against the bumper. Remove the 2 bolts on the each end of the gate. They will pull out with the rods that went to the handle.

Sorry my pic of the handle is sideways.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
Slammed84

Re: Tailgate assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbj3316 View Post
I have to the change the tailgate on my 1982 gm truck. Anyone have any advice, or possibly a video on removing and installing the latch mechanism? I have no clue.
are you talking about the entire tailgate as one piece? If so, you just open the tailgate all the way then pull the support arms up while lifting the gate slightly. the rectangular holes in the arms will line up with the studs they sit on and you just slide them right off the studs.

Once you have the supports loose you just keep it about halfway open and lift up and out on the passenger side and it will just slide right out of there.

To reinstall you just put the tailgate on the drivers side perch first and lower the passenger side onto its perch second. Then reverse how you took the support arms off.

If you're talking about taking out the latches and rods and stuff....... then disregard my post and look at the post above mine