The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
Slammed84

Edelbrock electric choke/fast idle adjustment

Its been sometime since I turned screws on an Edelbrock. Hoping soneone can send me in the right direction.

1. Carb doesnt idle high when cold so its hard to start and keep running unless you keep your foot on the gas for a minute. I searched the net and found how to adjust the high idle, so i tightened the screw until the cam rests on the second to last setting (pictured), is this right?

2. Electric choke works but seems to open too quickly in my opinion. I have it set to be just slightly open when cold (pictured), and opens fully in less than two minutes, is this too quick?

3. The choke isn't supposed to be closed completly on startup, right? Im assuming this will not allow enough air and will stumble and choke out, which is why i set it to be slightly open to start. Correct?

Basically just want to be able to get in and pump the accelerator once to set the choke, should idle high for a couple minutes, then hit the accelerator once more to kick the idle backdown to normal. This is how it should work right?

Its also running awful rich even after adjusting the idle adjusment screws, but I'll worry abouttgat after I get the idle/choke right.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
Slammed84

Re: Edelbrock electric choke/fast idle adjustment

Oh, and I would've just tried to start it but its open headers until tomorrow morning, and its too late tonight to start it up.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #3
MagmaJct

I have no complete solution, but I can share what I've learned.

Essentially, the choke has 3 "modes". Starting mode, warm-up mode, warmed-up mode. (My terms )

In "starting mode" the choke is pretty much completely closed. At cranking speed the vacuum is low, but there's still plenty of air, even with the choke closed.

Once the engine fires up, there's enough speed to get a good vacuum going. With more speed, there needs to be more air. A vacuum break is used to pop the choke open a bit. "Warm-up mode." Your Edelbrock there uses a vacuum actuated piston. My Carter AFB (essentially an Edelbrock) was originally a manual choke carb. I added the automatic choke later. I had to drill a hole in the automatic choke for the vacuum to reach the piston, apparently, the folks at Edelbrock forgot that part. You might want to check that.

The choke is still slowly opened by the thermostatic coil. Once it has completed its cycle, the choke is fully opened. "Warmed-up mode."

All this ignores the fast idle cam, though. Good Night!

--Mike

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:01 AM   #4
rich weyand

You have the choke set way lean. See that longer tick-mark in the center of the range? That's a pretty normal setting for the white flag to be at. That's why your high-idle isn't up on the second step of the ramp when cold, and that's why you are not getting enough gas on first starting, and that's why it shuts off too soon. It should start off on the second step, then after 30 seconds or a minute, you kick the throttle and it falls to the first step, and then it will stay there for several more minutes before yo ucan kick it and knock it off the cam entirely.

Follow the procedure in the manual. See the top of page 9. Basically, you run the engine until it is warmed up, then rotate the choke cap clockwise (rich) until the choke plate starts to close even though the choke and engine are warm, then you back off one tick-mark. You do not need to do this while the engine is running as they instruct. I prefer doing it without all the parts spinning around.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...ers-manual.pdf

The choke plate is normally closed when the engine is started, and the vacuum the engine pulls when it is running pulls the plate open a bit. It's set up to do that automatically.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote