The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2003, 01:02 PM   #1
PHOENIX

Question Arizona Emission Change ?

It used to be that you could register and take emission tests every other year. Well this month (Sept. 03) is my time for emission and registration. I get the registration paper work in the mail and what does it read? "No Emissions Test Required".
This is great news to me, because I dont think I would be able to get my exhaust done by the end of the month. But the downside is that it only gives me the option for (1) year registration rather then (2) year.

I guess I got lucky this year, but I am sure I will have to go back next year. I will send in the paper work with payment and see what happens. It says on the form that I do not have to go to emissions due to my area and vehicle year. This is all new to me. I have had the same address and vehicle for over 7 years now.

Anyone else in the Phoenix or Tucson area notice a change on their registration? I wonder if it is a mistake or a new system.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:44 PM   #2
68 Stepside
huh?

Maybe it's because your truck is an 83? Could they have implemented a 20-year cutoff? Maybe you should do some checking around.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

count yourself lucky. Here you have to do the emissions test when ever you do the annual inspection. No paper work to mail in or receive. Just go get it inspected when it's due. 30 damn bucks too.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:30 PM   #4
Tom
driving is in my blood

Ahhhh eddie maybe Im missing somthing, but you said you only have to go every other year? That in itself is weird. But anyway if you did emissions last year and it lasts two years then of course you wouldn't need a test this year.

My 79 is going to get tested next week. Wish me luck, this wont be fun
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 05:45 PM   #5
PHOENIX

Tom,
I went in 1999, then 2001, then I should have to go in 2003.
Do you have to go every year?
I have always had the (2) year option on my registration sheet, but this year it only gives me the one year option.

Good luck with the emissions test!

I thought you were selling the '79.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:08 PM   #6
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

i dont concern myself with emissions lol since my truck is registered in navajo county.that is weird and i have seen that on people i know car registration.so tom are you keeping the 79 now or what man?let us know

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:43 PM   #7
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

I had to go every year when I had my '70 registered in Chandler.

It's now registered in Coolidge. I don't need to go anymore.

Hmm...it is time for new tags tho!
Old 09-05-2003, 10:37 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Dooode, just because the search feature doesn't work on this site, doesn't mean it's broke everywhere. Take a look at this page-Arizona Dept. of Environmental Quality I think it will answer your questions.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 01:36 AM   #9
Bowed

Eddie , there are some changes in the works on what years will be tested . I have a son that works for emissions and I will ask him why you were skipped over and will get back to you with his answer . When I went down to the registry recently with my 72 for a first time registration ( last registered in 1999 ) they registered it without testing . I was like wow !
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:33 PM   #10
PHOENIX

Bowed:
Thanks I will be waiting to hear from you.

N2TRUX:
Thanks for the link, I did learn some new stuff from there.
The registration did come with a phone number to call, but I didnt find anything through the automated service.

Does anyone know exactly what this means?
"The Motor Vehicle Division will automatically exempt vehicles by the residence zip code. However, some zip codes are considered partially exempt, meaning part of the zip code is inside the test area and part is outside. These partial zip code areas initially require the vehicle owner to apply for a Code 52 exempt status. Once done, that vehicle will be retained on the exempt file as long as it is in the possession of the original claimant."

Does that mean if I get this exemption I will never have to be tested again? Sounds too good to be true. I hate to fill out the paper work or talk with the proper people and have to end up taking the test. Just my luck I will be in the part of the zip code that requires testing. I do live and work out west so my commute isnt into the city of Phoenix, its into south Peoria. Hopefully Bowed can help me out with his info. I already submitted my registration without the emissions results so I hope it all works out. I had some recent problems with my dog and it cost me $190. I plan to start a thread in GD about the dog problem to get some answers from this great board.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:54 PM   #11
Tom
driving is in my blood

Eddie, that means if you live in a area code like apache junction, your automaticly exempt.

I have to emissions both my 78 and 79 every year. And yes I am selling my 79, but its registration is expired and I still drive it to work every day and everywhere else for that matter
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:41 AM   #12
crackajacka
Stylin

i dont ever remeber getting an emissions check. i just pick up the tag and go about my business.
crackajacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 01:11 AM   #13
junkyardpartseeker

emissions

Thank God we don't have emission testing here. I don't think I could ever get my suburban to pass.

Probably be cheaper for me to buy a new one than convert this one back.

Tommy
junkyardpartseeker is offline   Reply With Quote