The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
c-man405

Wheel problems

Hey everyone, so I have a problem with my front wheels/tires, Specifically the drivers side. The issue is that it is very close to the fender and the tire is always hitting and rubbing against it. I would deal with this if I was going to keep the rally's on it but I'm looking to get some 18's or 20's. If I buy some brand new rims I don't want to ruin them by scratching them if they hit the fender. I'm looking for some advise of what you would do in this situation? Just deal with it? Get different back spacing on one rim? Anyhelp if appreciated!
Thanks carter
Attached Images

c-man405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
c-man405

Re: Wheel problems

And the drivers side that is very close
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
c-man405

Any one have any ideas??
Old 07-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
RodsGreen10

If you want a cheaper solution get a fender roller.
http://www.eastwood.com/fender-rolle...FUMjgQod9fgGpA
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 PM   #5
LuvNLife

Have you tried swapping the front wheels/tires side to side, to see if it could be a size/backspacing issue?

Also, is it possible the truck was in a collision before you got it? It just seems like an awful lot of difference, side to side...

Jerry
LuvNLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
c-man405

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNLife View Post
Have you tried swapping the front wheels/tires side to side, to see if it could be a size/backspacing issue?

Also, is it possible the truck was in a collision before you got it? It just seems like an awful lot of difference, side to side...

Jerry
Yes I have tried swapping wheels side to side and every thing is the same. I also have a set of narrow steel wheels that will "pull" that wheel closer and it will look normal. But when I do that normal side looks awe full as it is even closer.

As far as a collision I do not know. It tracks straight down the road so I wouldn't believe so. Is there a way I could check that with out a frame jig of some sort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
If you want a cheaper solution get a fender roller.
As far as a roller I have already cut out most of that inner lip. Because of that I don't think that would help much

Thank you guys very much! Carter.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
Titomars

I'd say your truck has been tagged in the front at some point. Try loosening the radiator support mount bolts and shifting the entire front clip to the drivers side some to split the clearance. I would have the hood open when you do this. Also the hood will probably need to be realigned after too.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
homemade87

Does the front clip align with the bumper from side to side .If it is closer on one side than the other the front clip and cab was not aligned proper . You should have a larger gap between the bumper and fender on the drivers side with your problem . If this is the case I would loosen all the cab and front core mounts and slide it over .The fenders are locked onto the cab . It will not take much to make a difference. You can not just loosen the core mounts . It will not move unless you loosen the fender and inner fender bolts on the cab . You do not want to do this . It will screw up your hood to fender and fender to door alignment.

Its possible you may need to replace all the body mounts also .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
Custom06

I'm having a similar issue with my son's 86. The passenger side front wheel sets in further in the fender than the driver's side. As far as I know the previous owner said it had never been in a wreck. But we all know that story. Could the front sub-frame be tweaked to one side?
Custom06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #10
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom06 View Post
I'm having a similar issue with my son's 86. The passenger side front wheel sets in further in the fender than the driver's side. As far as I know the previous owner said it had never been in a wreck. But we all know that story. Could the front sub-frame be tweaked to one side?
Anything is possible . No way of knowing unless you take it to a frame shop and have them check it out . They can also correct it at that time if they do find something . I do know when I did my reassemble and I got the cab and front clip sheet metal lines correct I had to shift the complete cab and clip as a whole to get the proper center .

If your body mounts are original and as bad as mine were it could have caused everything to shift . My cab had a bad cab to bed alignment sinse i owned it . When I did the resto and replaced the body bushings everything fell into place .
Old 08-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Look at the fender/bumper gap should be almost the same left to right. If the gap isn't the same you could look deeper
Old 08-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
c-man405

Alright so I have looked into your guys suggestions and I may have a few answers.

I looked at all the body mounts and they look to be in great shape, most likely not the originals as they are red in color. Also the cab to bed alignment isn't very good so I'm hoping I can slide the cab and front clip over.

As far as the bumper to fender alignment i cannot tell because the bumper I have is bent.

There is one spot on the frame that makes me think it was in a wreck. It is the passenger side frame horn where it looks to be welded on.

Thanks carter!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
homemade87

If you see red mounts you are correct. They are not the original . Very possible the one doing the work did not pay attention when installing them . I would loosen all the mount bolts and see if it will slide over . If you will look right next to the mount locations you will see a hole in the frame mount and one in the body . This is what the factoy uses to align everything . Just put a 1/2 inch rod in there and pry it to where it needs to be .

As for the weld , not sure why it would be there unless a wreck . Thats not a normal place they will crack .
Old 08-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #14
c-man405

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
If you see red mounts you are correct. They are not the original . Very possible the one doing the work did not pay attention when installing them . I would loosen all the mount bolts and see if it will slide over . If you will look right next to the mount locations you will see a hole in the frame mount and one in the body . This is what the factoy uses to align everything . Just put a 1/2 inch rod in there and pry it to where it needs to be .

As for the weld , not sure why it would be there unless a wreck . Thats not a normal place they will crack .
Thank you! I didn't even notice the alignment holes and they are off a little bit. I hope it is enough to make a difference. But doing this would make my cab to bed alignment even worst then it is. So is the bed adjustable side to side also? Is there alignment holes? Or will I have to slot the holes?
Thanks again to all of you for your help! Carter
Old 08-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #15
homemade87

Once you start sliding the cab around it may move to your bed . Just keep tweeking it . You should do not need to slot the hole on the bed . You can loosen them and see if it will slide a little to the direction you need to a little. It wont move much . The cab should move enough to get things right . Just keep working it . If it does not seem to work out it may be someone has hit the thruck but just be patient . Its more that a 15 min job and can be a little frustrating .
Old 03-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #16
Custom06

Any new updates? ? ? ? ? ?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #17
c-man405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom06 View Post
Any new updates? ? ? ? ? ?
I did exactly what homemade87 suggested and lossened up all the mounts and used the alignment holes in the cab and chassis to align everything. The original assembly was so bad it created the issue so once I aligned the holes everything was a heck of a lot better!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #18
Custom06

I'm a newbie to this, can you send me pics of what I'm looking for. Having the same issue. Passenger side wheel sits in further than the drivers side. I'm blaming the drop spindles, I may be wrong. Going to put the stock spindles back on to see if that fixes it.