The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
Luckyowner

Looking to change

I recently inherited a 1949 chevy 3100 from my dad. He did all the the work himself and one other guy. I feel very lucky to have this passed on to me. Now that being said, I would like to change out the front suspension. It is the straight axel and leaf spring set up. would also like to lower it a bit. If I can solidify the front end and lower it, it would be a much better ride. Any suggestions??
Attached Images

Luckyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Looking to change

Look thru these search results for AD truck front suspension swaps. Look thru the build threads for AD trucks that have had front suspension swaps. Look at skymags thread on s-10 swap. Go to the fund raising site for him and donate some bucks to his burn fund.

After doing a little research give us your thought and questions.

http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
pgf545

There are several different things you can do, we went with the Mustang 2 stuff but I have seen the C4 Vette stuff, S10 reframe and new complete frames. I think I have some pictures on my build thread if you want to take a look.

Bernie
Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
JNUTZ

I'm in the same boat and going to either do the mustang 2 or possibly a camaro/vette set up. I'm having a harder time finding someone around San Diego that will do it for a reasonable price. I was quoted 30-40 hours and that's with no motor already in the truck or one to put back in. Or most shops say they can't give me even a worse case "quote".

I thought I had found a sweet set up on ebay with the Helix suspension package has everything included (air bags too) but after digging deeper I'm finding tons of negative reviews on that company and I'd rather get quality parts with good customer service then save a few bucks and putting safety on the line.

Look forward to seeing what you go with.
JNUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Advanced Design

Welcome to the board Luckyowner. There are lot's of good folks here with tremendous knowledge about these trucks. Good advice given above. Do some initial research to identify options and ask lots of questions. You can purchase an entire chassis or install one of the IFS crossmembers available from many different companies. Some are No Limit, Scotts, Fatman, Heidts, Progressive Automotive, Chassis Engineering has a bolt in I think.

When you make a change in the front and lower it, will you be able to lower the rear as well? It looks as though there is a fender just above the rear tire.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
Luckyowner

Thanks all for the input,, still researching and thanks for all the links to see whats a good way to go!! As for the san diego area,, its tough, ive found a shop in san marcos, but like you hes not giving me a worse case scenario quote .. just wanted an estimate about how much it was going to run. As for the rear .. I can go lower, but it will take cutting out the fender on the inside to give it clearance so that could drop, which is what I was thinking of doing.If I change out the front,, thinking I might as well go ahead and change out the rear as well !! Again thank you too all for the input,,, got a lot to work on!! but it will be fun!!!!
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
fredos59

Talking Re: Looking to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNUTZ View Post
I'm in the same boat and going to either do the mustang 2 or possibly a camaro/vette set up. I'm having a harder time finding someone around San Diego that will do it for a reasonable price. I was quoted 30-40 hours and that's with no motor already in the truck or one to put back in. Or most shops say they can't give me even a worse case "quote".

I thought I had found a sweet set up on ebay with the Helix suspension package has everything included (air bags too) but after digging deeper I'm finding tons of negative reviews on that company and I'd rather get quality parts with good customer service then save a few bucks and putting safety on the line.

Look forward to seeing what you go with.
30 to 40 hrs. seems a little light to me. I did the c notch and axle flip on mine with a buddy's help and we had at least 20 man hrs. into that alone. I feel we are tooled up pretty well too. I would keep looking for a shop that can give you a "worse case" estimate. If they have the knowledge they should have a basic idea of how bad it can get. Just like remodeling your house take the high number and add 10-15%.
I found that if I slow down I can save money by finding good deals on parts. If the shop doesn't have to spend time sourcing your parts it can help with the bill. Also know what you want, that gives the shop more info to work with when quoting a price. If you want to try it yourself I will be glad to suggest what hammer to use.
Sept 7th there is a parts swap at the Murph (Qualcom Stadium) you might find parts there. I'm thinking of driving up to San Fernando to pick up a front
clip for my build.
fredos59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
mr48chev

The simple way would be putting in a dropped axle in the front and lowering blocks in the rear.
Sid in Oklahoma is pretty well the go to guy for a dropped axle or having yours dropped. http://www.droppedaxles.com/

There is also Mor-Drop in Oakland Ca that has done them for years but compare prices.

Another way to go on the front suspension might be the bolt in Mustang II style crossmeber that Speedway or chassis engineering sells
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Bolt-I...ber,50961.html

http://www.jplstreetrods.com/index.p...product_id=687

Note: this particular Chassis engineering unit is for the factory Mustang II pieces that use a strut rod. They may have another unit for tube A arms.

They aren't quite as pretty as some and cost a tad more than the weld in ones BUT you can bolt it in where the truck now sits with a hand full of wrenches and a 1/2 inch drill and save the money that you would pay a shop to install it. You still have to buy the suspension pieces and steering but it is something that most guys can do in their own garage in a short period of time. Usually two guys who are reasonably handy can do the swap in a long Saturday.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 08-16-2015 at 02:43 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Luckyowner

Thanks for all the input,, its ALL appreciated Still reading up on what everyone has posted and resources,, a lot to take in for a newbie!!! but the adventure has just started!!! will be asking more questions as I progress .. again .. thanks to all!!!!!
Attached Images