The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #1
Dodge68charger

Porterbuilt level 3 kit

Anyone running this kit with airbags on the front and rear. Want to go with a level 3 kit but not sure where to start. Inboard or outboard bags on the rear? Do i need to run front and rear shocks with relocation kits, what year ball joints are the best, etc.. Thanks guys any help would be great
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodge68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Re: Porterbuilt level 3 kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge68charger View Post
Anyone running this kit with airbags on the front and rear. Want to go with a level 3 kit but not sure where to start. Inboard or outboard bags on the rear? Do i need to run front and rear shocks with relocation kits, what year ball joints are the best, etc.. Thanks guys any help would be great
Posted via Mobile Device
I did a level 1 kit with coilovers, but I learned a few things that may answer your questions and help in the long run. First, inboard or outboard bags? This depends on your wheel and tire offset and width. If you want to stuff a huge tire under your truck you can do it, but you'll have to go inboard with the bags. The only issue I can find with this is exhaust routing, but I'm sure there are alternatives to champion that. If you are going to use a 10-12 inch wide wheel with a 295-305 width you can likely get away with outboard bags. The level 3 kit comes with the correct shocks and associated bracketry, no worries there, but you may choose to upgrade to Ride Tech RQ or HQ shock if your budget allows... they are VERY nice. Ball joints, well this is a discussion that brings many opinions but here is my take. I used 63-70 spindle and ball joints because the steering rack spherical rod ends require a bolt versus the tapered stub of the stock tie rods. This bolt requires a hole larger than 63-70 spindles but smaller than 71-87 spindles. I chose the 63-70 for the obvious reason, so I could drill the spindle steering arm to the correct size for the required bolt. I hope I have been helpful. If you have not chosen a distributor for your Porterbuilt parts there are many great vendors here on the board. I used Keith Stephens, member n2billet, and am very happy with his knowledge and his helpfulness. You can contact him here via PM.

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
slowcpe

While I know it can be hard to get someone to answer the phone at times, give Dave a shout at PB. If no answer, he's always good about returning messages. Dave can answer any and every question you have. He and I probably traded 100 emails back and forth until I "finally" made my decision.

As stated above Keith is very knowledgeable as he's built a few of these trucks

Travis at Pro Performance knows what he's talking about and very responsive. Plus he's a stocking dealer

I can't help you out much as I went the Level 1 air bag route
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
While I know it can be hard to get someone to answer the phone at times, give Dave a shout at PB. If no answer, he's always good about returning messages. Dave can answer any and every question you have. He and I probably traded 100 emails back and forth until I "finally" made my decision.

As stated above Keith is very knowledgeable as he's built a few of these trucks

Travis at Pro Performance knows what he's talking about and very responsive. Plus he's a stocking dealer

I can't help you out much as I went the Level 1 air bag route
I hear Travis at Pro Performance has a few level 3 kits in stock right now.

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green