The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Big Blue

Plugging a hole up

I need some help on this one. I am going to plug the hole where the Harness for the TBI that goes to the engine compartment. I do not need this, so that is why I need to plug it. I searched the universal web only to find every size but mine. So , where do I find a plug or does someone have An idea for me?

Thanks John
Attached Images

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
1970pelle

Re: Plugging a hole up

I reused the plug from the wiring harness. They way its made it will slide off the wiring harness with a little work and some WD40. Then I found a solid round rubber slug that fit the hole tight, and glued it in place.
Or the next best thing is a floor plug from a later model Jeep Wrangler. I used one on the left side of the firewall on my 86.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
weider1717

If you just want to keep it closed off just buy one of those plugs you tighten and it expands the rubber grommet.

like a freeze plug replacement or one of those pvc ones. Just a simple thought.
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
Big Blue

DOES ANYBODY HAVE WHAT "1970pelle" MENTIONED. I can not locate the harness with the grommet on it. The hole is 2 and 1/8th. I would prefer the grommet way first, over anything else. But all options are opened.

Thanks John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
Chaplain

I looked at a variety of pcv grommets and found one that had a large outer diameter as well as a small inner diameter. I capped that off with a plastic faster (like one of those fasteners that secures an upper and lower fan shroud together) which I glued into place. However, the Jeep drain plug sounds good.

Looks like welding in a piece of metal is not an option for you...nice paint job.
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
1970pelle

I think I can come up with one. Give me a day to look. Ken

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.”
― Ronald Reagan
1970pelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #7
73kay

Bump I'm in the same boat looking to plug my 86 cab.

1953 3100 292 T5
1985 K5 Blazer 350 700R4 208
73kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

why not weld in a piece of metal?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Big Blue

Thanks Ken, that would be great. I'll gladly pay for it.

Thanks old Rusty C10, Before I painted the cab I thought about welding a piece in, but forgot. So now it's to late for me. Thanks All, John

Old 10-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
Big Blue

1970pelle, check you PM Box.

John

Old 10-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
Big Blue

Still looking for the grommet that goes on the TBI wiring harness that goes through the firewall. I need to plug up the hole. I'd rather use the grommet then anything else. If anyone has one please PM me. Thanks, John
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2015, 12:41 AM   #12
andrewmp6

I would go to napa and have them find a body plug that fits the size hole you have,Or put a plate over it from the inside with panel adhesive so you don't mess with the paint welding.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #13
cadillac_al

Quote:
Originally Posted by weider1717 View Post
If you just want to keep it closed off just buy one of those plugs you tighten and it expands the rubber grommet.

like a freeze plug replacement or one of those pvc ones. Just a simple thought.
This is how I planned to fix this problem on one of my cars. I don't know a source for body plugs but will look into it.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #14
raggedjim

Might work...

http://www.steelerubber.com/plug-floor-pan-35-3508-45

Steele makes great products.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
MalibuSSwagon

I believe Dirty Larry used a rubber plug from McMaster Carr to plug that hole on his Suburban, 2" inside Diameter.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9600k527/=zmx337

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=217
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote