The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
Chevy409
Giddy up giddy up...

Unhappy need help fast, please

I'm a freshman at college now, only been a week and someone already cut a valvestem on my truck!!! Campus safety kinda sucks and they say they can't help me. On top of things, my work study doesn't start until tomorrow and even then i won't get paid for a couple weeks and I don't have enough money to bring the truck to a garage! Fortunately, I have a spare stem in the toolbox so later today, when my classes are over, I'm going to just take care of things myself in the parking lot. My question is: can put a valve stem in without breaking the bead and taking the tire off? Will it push through with some persuasion or do I need to pull it through from the inside of the wheel? I need the truck for transportaion to my work study tomorrow so I'm in a jam to get this done tonight. Any help is MUCH APPRECIATED. Thanks a lot.
72 with 69 grille and custom 73-87 stepside. BIG BLOCK 409, SM465, NP205, 3/4 axles slung under a 5" lift, 3"bodylift, 112" frame, and 35inch Pro Comp X-terrains... "BUILT NOT BOUGHT" Here's the site...
Chevy409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:19 PM   #2
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

Your way better off getting the/a spare and driving to a fix a flat place and having them put in the valve stem for you. Or you can have buddy take you. Get yourself some metal valve stems for all for wheels.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:29 PM   #3
COBALT

Go to a junk yard and get a steel wheel with the same lug pattern and a basic tire on it. Make sure it's up to pressure, and is roughly the same diameter. Put it on the truck, but you don't have to drive it. Just leave it in the parking lot.

This'll keep campus security from calling a tow truck. If you took the wheel off and left the truck sitting there on cinder blocks they'd most certainly call someone and you'd get stuck with a HUGE bill.

...then take your original wheel and tire to a tire shop and get it fixed.

This is the fastest and headache free method to fixing this. Working on your truck in the parking lot is for the birds, and campus security might decide to give you trouble.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

You HAVE to break the bead..... they actually use a special wrench to install it, but you can do it with a set of pliers if you're careful with the threads. Put something like a grease compound on the stem before attempting to pull it through though, it will make it easier. To break the bead, you can use a bumper jack, and a car/truck. Put the tire under the bumper of the vehicle and use the jack as though you are jacking up the vehicle, but put the flat part of the jack on the tire right up against the wheel/tire bead, then start jacking, the weight of the vehicle will force the jack to break the bead. then install the stem, and air it back up.

Been there, done that....

Ron
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote