The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
oldwagon

Fuel pump to small?

Is there such a thing as having an electric fuel pump that's too small to pump gas to a 4 barrel? I've burnt up 4 electric pumps since early summer. This all started when, in the process of replacing the mechanical pump, we bent the rod in the block. Decided to go with electric instead of removing the front of the block. Replaced carb when they put on the first one and have had trouble ever since. Have replaced hoses and installed 2 inline filters. One between carb and pump and one between tank and pump. Mechanic is going to replace with a larger pump. Any advice?
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Fuel pump to small?

What carb?
You gotta keep fuel pressure down.
Likely you need to set up a fuel return system with a regulator at the carb.
Electric pumps don't like to be deadheaded. They overheat and quit.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
oldwagon

Edelbrock 4601 I believe. I had it rebuilt before I had it installed. I'll run it by my mechanic and let him know what you said. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Jeramy

main question is where is the electric pump mounted? Should be mounted as low as possible,without being in danger of getting hit, and as close to the tank as can get.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
oldwagon

Fuel pump is mounted inside the frame just aft of the fuel tank on the drivers side. I'm not using the passenger tank at all. Also, would the extra filter and where it's mounted make a difference?
Old 11-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
cadillac_al

What kind of pump are we talking about? Is it the cheapest of the cheap? These GM pumps look like the ones they used to use on the bigger trucks and they used to last years and years.

http://paceperformance.com/i-6485833...6-9-p-s-i.html
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
Firebirdjones

That's pretty much the nature of inline pumps. Even when installed and working properly you can't expect more than 10-15,000 miles out of them before they start showing signs of degrading if you're lucky. Sometimes they won't give warning at all and leave you somewhere.

Electric pumps are good pushers, but not good suckers. Just because of this reason, I really don't prefer a filter before the pump if I can help it, as the fuel sock in the tank should stop any harmful particles from entering the pump. Extra filters before the pump just makes it work harder. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on a high dollar filter setup from someone like Aeromotive made specifically for that type of application, then I'd keep the filters in front of the pump. I also prefer a larger pickup line from the tank to the pump than what you have running from the pump to the engine. If I run 3/8 to the engine, then the suction side will be 1/2". If I run 1/2" to the engine then the suction side will be 5/8.

In the end even with every precaution taken it only has so many hours run time. I've had several die on me in 3 different cars with various setups. I run a big pump in one car, it's rebuildable. It's a weekend fun car, not a daily driver, and I've gone through the pump 3 times in the last 7-8 years as it starts to show signs of wear, fuel pressure starts dropping, fluctuating, pumps starts sounding different, etc....Time to take it apart and do brushes and what not. Gets old.
I've also been stuck on the side of the road in another car with 110 degree heat because the external pump just gets too hot.

The best solution if you are dead set on electric pumps is to stick it in the tank. Once I've switched these cars to in tank pumps, I've never once had a single issue again....for years.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote