The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
I Have No Idea

OEM blue steering wheel in a green truck?

I just picked up this 69 LWB C10. Everything seems to be original from what I can see. I have seen a few pictures on here about a blue steering wheel in a green truck but haven't really found an answer. I am trying to keep the outside and interior as close to the factory styling as possible. If this truck came with the blue wheel ill keep it but if not ill do a green one.

Anyone have any info on this configuration?

and the ouside

I Have No Idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
Gromit

Re: OEM blue steering wheel in a green truck?

Just a guess but pretty sure that steering wheel is not original; (same with the seat cover)..Judging by the door panels

There was something in the original plastic that made these steering wheels subject to cracking under the ultraviolet rays and heat in the cab; so it looks to me as if the previous owner just found one to fit to replace the cracked one and didn't worry about the color

Good news - new repops are available; very good external appearance to factory; though I have heard the insides are a bit flimsier than the original

See photo attached of cracked original
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
I Have No Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Just a guess but pretty sure that steering wheel is not original; (same with the seat cover)..Judging by the door panels

There was something in the original plastic that made these steering wheels subject to cracking under the ultraviolet rays and heat in the cab; so it looks to me as if the previous owner just found one to fit to replace the cracked one and didn't worry about the color

Good news - new repops are available; very good external appearance to factory; though I have heard the insides are a bit flimsier than the original

See photo attached of cracked original

Thanks for the info

Is there a gm stamped part number somewhere on an original?

And as far as the seat cover being aftermarket what is the tell tale sign of that?
Old 12-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
hugger6933

Why not rebuild that blue wheel and paint it green? That would be 100 times better than buying aftermarket I hear they are bad flimsy.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

There could be a blue wheel in a green truck from factory if that trucks had a blue interior. But this truck came with the base dark green color. The steering wheel would match the column color. That's not the olive green (upscale color) that the steering wheel shown is It's a non-reproduced color, same as the dark blue '69 wheel you now have. It's true the first reproduction wheels were junk, but I've "heard" the latest ones are better. All the repros are painted, so I wouldn't hesitate to paint the correct color on one. you can repair an original wheel, but figure all the material is as deteriorated as the area that cracked. I'd expect to see new cracks develop just as the first ones did. I guess parking under cover and being careful to not leave in sun long with windows up could avoid further cracks. I see it as a crap shoot on a driver.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
davepl

I know in 68 the old wheel style was available in green; I suppose with 69 being the first year of the new style wheel maybe they were short of green but I doubt they'd stick a blue wheel in there.

My aftermarket wheel is good quality (OER I think) but the pattern is deeper, so you could always tell a replacement. I think they're impressive quality otherwise though, and I hate reproduction parts in general.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Ozark Tim

So thE deal is this. That color steering wheel is factory original but from exposure they turn more blue than Aqua.
I've been searching for a decent one that color for a few years but they are uncommon and seem to have been like the tan ones and dis centigrade faster than black etc. sell me that one and go buy a nice black one and paint it to match your steering column😉
Ozark Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
I Have No Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Tim View Post
So thE deal is this. That color steering wheel is factory original but from exposure they turn more blue than Aqua.
I've been searching for a decent one that color for a few years but they are uncommon and seem to have been like the tan ones and dis centigrade faster than black etc. sell me that one and go buy a nice black one and paint it to match your steering column😉
that is exactly what I thought today when I popped the horn button off to see if it maybe just faded that color!

I am actually thinking of changing out the dark green parts in the truck to black anyway, when it comes out, you pay shipping and you can have it if you are still interested!

And thanks for the reply's by everyone!

This truck is getting ready to undergo a lot of work here in January when the new chassis is delivered. so ill probably be starting a build thread then.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
Ozark Tim

Fantastic! Keep me in mind and happy to help
Tim
Ozark Tim is offline   Reply With Quote