The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
Tulsarust

Lower a 49 rolling OG chassis?

Hello guys. I've been reading this forum for about 2 months and have the bug for a lowered AD truck. This is my first foray into an endeavor like this but I have engineering and science background coupled with my grandfather's gift of using whatever is laying around to find a solution. I have decent metal fab skills and real good at overthinking a simple solution!
My studies of the many builds make it clear to me that I could easily get over my head on a full-on S10 swap. So, I've been searching for someone else's project that has stalled after getting a IFS front end and v8 installed. My current leads have me looking at a nice 49 body in one deal around $2000 and then a nice looking 49 rolling chassis that has had the body removed and been sitting for 2 years for about $1000. In my mind, I was thinking about doing a body swap, but the found chassis is WAY too high. Note: owner sent me this pic before he removed body. Owner doesn't have any real knowledge of chassis build other than he thinks it is a 350/350 combo and I don't think that is an original rearend.
So here is my question, from the pics do you have any ideas how to lower the front and rear of this chassis? I know I could locate some 2" drop spindles for the front, but the rear looks like it was some sort of 4 link in its first life. Those springs look huge and I don't think a couple of 3" blocks are gonna make a dent in the high flying stance. I don't want bags as I'm trying to keep it simple here and looking for static ride. BTW my favorite rides on here are Skymangs, JoeDoh, and 99toLife if you need a reference for what I'm after in looks. Thanks! Here are my pics. (in random order it looks like )
Attached Images

Tulsarust is offline   Reply With Quote