The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #1
DBear

16 inch 6 on 5.5 steel wheels

hey guys.....not sure if this has been nailed down, but what would be a good bet on 16 inch steelies that would fit our years in 4x4? Does anyone know what the correct backspacing on a 71 K5 should be? Thanks for any help you can provide.
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
praisegeetarman

Re: 16 inch 6 on 5.5 steel wheels

I had a set of 6" wides made with the stock centers from 16 X 5's. The max backspace on a 1/2 ton 6 hole, if I remember correctly, is 4". Stockton can make these wheels with the easy to find 15" centers also.

Here's the link to my post when I received them.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679139

Keith

Keith Riel
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #3
praisegeetarman

Hey DBear. I tried to answer your PM, but your message box is full.

To answer your questions:

I have skyjacker add-a-leafs on the front and rear of my blazer. They lifted it about 2", were really inexpensive, and I really like the ride. As far as the wheels, the backspace is 4.25". That is the max for backspace. Any more and the rim hits the tie rod end. I sent in my stock chevy 16 X 5 wheels and they (Stockton Wheel) used those centers to make my 16 X 6's. They also have available special hoops so that they can use chevy 15" wheel centers to make 16" wheels. Call them and they can specify further. For the price, clear out your PM box and I'll tell you.

BTW, the tires are 235-85-16's. That is the main reason I widened the wheels. Minimum rim width for that tire is 6". I ran them on the wheels before I widened them, but had to keep them aired down. You can see it in the "before" picture in my post.

Keith

Keith Riel
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisegeetarman View Post
Hey DBear. I tried to answer your PM, but your message box is full.

To answer your questions:

I have skyjacker add-a-leafs on the front and rear of my blazer. They lifted it about 2", were really inexpensive, and I really like the ride. As far as the wheels, the backspace is 4.25". That is the max for backspace. Any more and the rim hits the tie rod end. I sent in my stock chevy 16 X 5 wheels and they (Stockton Wheel) used those centers to make my 16 X 6's. They also have available special hoops so that they can use chevy 15" wheel centers to make 16" wheels. Call them and they can specify further. For the price, clear out your PM box and I'll tell you.

BTW, the tires are 235-85-16's. That is the main reason I widened the wheels. Minimum rim width for that tire is 6". I ran them on the wheels before I widened them, but had to keep them aired down. You can see it in the "before" picture in my post.

Keith
Hey Keith....didn't realize my inbox was full. I cleared it out...thanks again for the help bud
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote