The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
TwinsSpeedShop

Project 'dark blue demin' not your typical drop member LS build

I started this project back in August probably and have just now slowed down enough both personally and professionally to start a build thread. I post a fair amount on FB and Instagram but not much on the forums as you can tell from my post count. I rely a ton on this site for research when I hit a snag in my build or are coming up with new ideas. This is my third truck in as many years but I don't intend to sale this one. Each truck has funded the next and I have taken this truck further than any others mostly because the last truck made enough money to take it this far. I will start with where we are today and update how I got here as I go.

I went with a new company for my suspension this time. GSI machine and fab launched their new drop member back mid year and I liked the look at the kit and the company as a whole. Everything has worked out great with only a few snags where more detailed pictures of the install would have been helpful.

History on the truck, I have chased this particular truck for 5 yrs and the old man finally let me make him an offer. When I first saw the truck, I was amazed at how solid the truck was considering how long it had been sitting behind his shop. I can only imagine how soils it was when he parked it 15 yrs ago. I have pics of the floor boards and such I will add later, but I have only found a quarter size hole in one rocker and some rust where the weather strip is attached at the rocker.

Here is where we are today
Attached Images

Last edited by TwinsSpeedShop; 12-27-2015 at 11:03 AM.
TwinsSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #2
TwinsSpeedShop

Re: Project 'dark blue demin'

This is the truck when I first picked it up. The plans changed along the way as it evolved, from just keeping the 350/3speed and laying frame to where I am today with the ls 6.0/T56 combo laying frame. I pieced the motor and trans together off of cl and buddies who had stuff laying around. It's the first time I've ever pieced a motor trans together but it seems to be working out. Since I've done a lot of these swaps in jeeps and c10's , I wanted to do something a little different look wise with the motor/ intake.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
TwinsSpeedShop

I can't say enough about the GSI kit as it has went together very well and everything cam bagged and tagged where it goes. The kits were in stock and shipped within a week of ordering, arrived with everything in place and nothing missing. The few times I have had questions I have either called or emailed and gotten a response very quickly. Here is the frame when it was all together and able to move. I have other pictures of individual parts and pieces of anyone is interested in seeing more detail
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
TwinsSpeedShop

And the motor
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
brushbuggy

cool truck, subscribed
brushbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
ls1nova71

Looking good! Do you have any more before pics? Looks like it was a really nice find, swb, cst, dont see those very often, let alone that nice!

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
TwinsSpeedShop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Looking good! Do you have any more before pics? Looks like it was a really nice find, swb, cst, dont see those very often, let alone that nice!
Thanks ls1nova, I have some that I've taken while cleaning u it up. Here's one of the floorboard when we first stripped the interior out to clean and send interior off for upholstery
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
TwinsSpeedShop

Here is another from when I initial brought it home and cleaned it up. It's crazy how straight the body and trim are to be in original condition. The old man that had it really knew what he had and held out for a long time before letting it go.

If anyone can spread some light on how to upload more than one picture at a time that would be helpful for us all! I don't have a photobucket I just try to upload from my phone. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
TwinsSpeedShop

Shot of the raised bed floor with boards from a local saw mill that I cut to fit
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
68basket

looks awesome! I am very interested in the gsi suspension parts. Did you use the rear back half kit also?
68basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #11
TwinsSpeedShop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68basket View Post
looks awesome! I am very interested in the gsi suspension parts. Did you use the rear back half kit also?
GSI isn't a full back half kit, just a 4 link and notch. It was the only part that was weld on of the whole kit
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2015, 02:28 AM   #12
tinos555
Account Suspended

Nice truck! Gotta love them CST's!
tinos555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:00 AM   #13
dec010974

Twinsspeedshop, "68 SWB fleetside, 6.0/T56 Hawks sinister cam, spec stage 3 clutch, GSI drop member and rear notch. Stock 15" wheels with full centers, white wall tires", I would like ask you a couple question in reference to your crossmember and the t56. Please continue with the build. I'm watching this one.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #14
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I'll share a few of the "before" pictures I took of this truck. Let me tell you, to see it in person for the first time was amazing. Hard to believe that a truck like this could have survived for as long as it did just sitting for so long. It drew a crowd all day.

The new suspension and drive-train look unreal, and I can't wait to see this one finished up.

Keep at it Clay!
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #15
TwinsSpeedShop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
I'll share a few of the "before" pictures I took of this truck. Let me tell you, to see it in person for the first time was amazing. Hard to believe that a truck like this could have survived for as long as it did just sitting for so long. It drew a crowd all day.

The new suspension and drive-train look unreal, and I can't wait to see this one finished up.

Keep at it Clay!
Thanks Matt, I wanted to win those wheels to run for the time being but that's how it goes