The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2016, 12:59 AM   #1
smiti7

1971 K20 Sloppy Steering Fix/ Help

Hey guys
I have this 71 K20 that I'm trying to get up and running and I keep fixing small things as money allows. My question is about removing the intermediate steering column. The steering wheel would move about 3-4 " left or right before actually doing anything, so after tons of research on here, I figured out the slack/ slop is from the joint/ connector on top of the intermediate shaft where it connects to the actual steering column spline looking part (closest to the fire wall). Forgive me for not knowing the correct names for these things. Today I removed the nut and bolt that goes through it and tried to collapse it so I can see how to fix/ remove/ repair it, but it wouldn't budge. Do I need to take apart the rag joint down (actually looks like thick rubber) by the gear box in order to remove/ collapse the intermediate shaft? Any low cost recommendations on how to fix this? I'm hoping the spline end of the column isn't stripped. Any info/ suggestions would be great.
Thanks.
smiti7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 1971 K20 Sloppy Steering Fix/ Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiti7 View Post
Hey guys
I have this 71 K20 that I'm trying to get up and running and I keep fixing small things as money allows. My question is about removing the intermediate steering column. The steering wheel would move about 3-4 " left or right before actually doing anything, so after tons of research on here, I figured out the slack/ slop is from the joint/ connector on top of the intermediate shaft where it connects to the actual steering column spline looking part (closest to the fire wall). Forgive me for not knowing the correct names for these things. Today I removed the nut and bolt that goes through it and tried to collapse it so I can see how to fix/ remove/ repair it, but it wouldn't budge. Do I need to take apart the rag joint down (actually looks like thick rubber) by the gear box in order to remove/ collapse the intermediate shaft? Any low cost recommendations on how to fix this? I'm hoping the spline end of the column isn't stripped. Any info/ suggestions would be great.
Thanks.

Yes, you need to take the rag joint apart. I doubt if the splines are stripped. I don't know if there is any kind of kit available for it or not. The bolt above the top joint has to be completely removed to get it apart. If it has a large washer and spring on the bottom of the column don't forget which way they go on.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:27 AM   #3
smiti7

Cool thanks. So, if the joint on top wasn't grabbing the spline, do I need to find a whole new intermediate shaft with a new joint on top? Or is the joint on top repairable? I guess I'll know more about why its not grabbing the spline after I get it off.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #4
cwilkie
Chance

Could be worn ball joints and tie rods. My steering wheel had a lot of slop until I replaced those parts. After that the slop was gone.

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton 4x4
BB 496 w/TH400
cwilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Check out a couple things. Some 4x4 trucks had a frame crack form near the steering gear that could cause flexing (excess steering wheel play. Also the steering box itself has an adjustment, however most have been adjusted to the max over the past 45 years of wear and tear. As mentioned above, the steering suspension parts could also be wore out and needing replacement.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
smiti7

So I finally got the intermediate shaft off. Both the gear box and Steering column splines look pretty good, but both ends of the intermediate shaft are pretty much stripped on the splines. So, I think I counted 36 spline and 3/4" (measured with tape measure). Does that seem correct for a 71 K20? Also, the spline count on the on the rubber rag joint, are they all the same? Maybe 24/26 spline?
Anyone know the best/ cheapest replacement for the intermediate shaft?
LMC has one that you can buy if you're adding a tilt column to your truck, but the customer service rep who I talked to really wasn't very helpful. Basically read to me line by line from the catalog. (PART # 38-4780). $144.95
Also I found a guy on Craigslist today who has a whole column with the shaft for $125, but not sure of the condition. Any suggestion would be great.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
smiti7

Any opinions?
If not I guess I'll try the LMC option and see how it fits.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiti7 View Post
Any opinions?
If not I guess I'll try the LMC option and see how it fits.
Thanks
All I know is that the 1/2t and 3/4t are different but I don't know anything about the 4x4's

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote