The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
jason999

Help me buy shocks!

Hello,

I'm moving right along on my old truck and it's time to buy shocks. I want to order some in the next day or two.

I'm not so much worried about money and I want the truck to ride and handle well. I would like for it to have a solid sporty feel but not harsh. I have a front sway bar and 255/55-18's.

My 1966 C10 has the rear end and cross member from a 1981 C10. I have lowered the front with 3" drop spindles and the rear with 4" drop springs

If I understand correctly, I need to climb under my truck and measure the distance from the mount points of my current shocks In other words just measure my the shocks while they are on the truck. I can then search for shock and find their range. If my measurement is in the middle of this range then the shock should fit correctly???

I am leaning toward Bilsteins but I'm open to ideas.

If anyone has the same set up, I'd love to hear the specifics of the shock that you are running. If not then help me select the right size!!

It looks like my mounted shocks measure about 14.5" on the rear and 12.75" on the front.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by jason999; 02-03-2016 at 09:42 AM.
jason999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Help me buy shocks!

I have the Belltech street performance shocks on mine with about the same setup except I 2 1/2" drop spindles and 2" springs in the front and shock relocators in the back. They have them for these trucks in a couple of lengths. I have been pleases with the ride and control.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Bilstein hands down.

If you're stock height springs in the front (i.e. if only using a drop spindles) then a stock length shock is what you need. For the rear, you will want to do a shock relocation kit and as long as you're not notching the frame, you can use a stock length rear shock as well. If you don't do a rear shock relocation kit, any shock is going to be laid over at too much of an angle and won't work very well.

Hope that helps.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
jason999

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Bilstein hands down.

If you're stock height springs in the front (i.e. if only using a drop spindles) then a stock length shock is what you need. For the rear, you will want to do a shock relocation kit and as long as you're not notching the frame, you can use a stock length rear shock as well. If you don't do a rear shock relocation kit, any shock is going to be laid over at too much of an angle and won't work very well.

Hope that helps.
Thanks!

Yes, I have stock springs in the front. So, I need stock shocks for an 81 C10 for the front and 81 shocks for the rear. Right? For the rear, I should get the 1981 or 1966 shock relocation kit. Wow, I didn't know that I would need shock relocators if I was buying shocks.

Does anyone have thoughts on brands or models?

Last edited by jason999; 02-03-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
jason999

Quote:
Bilstein hands down.

Hope that helps.
I ended up ordering KYB Gas-A-Just. I also bought a shock relocation kit. Drilling out the rivets on the stock top mounts was very time consuming.
The only socket that I had to fit the nuts on the U bolt was a 1/2" drive 27 mm. I didn't have a 1/2" ratchet so I used a huge breaker bar for every turn. That was exhausting.

After a very aggravating day, I realized that I definitely should have ordered shorter shocks for my 4" drop springs.....I was barely able to install the rear shocks that were recommended for a stock truck. It seems that I may have as little as 3" of upward travel. I will drive it soon and see if I can sneak by without having to buy new shocks.

A disappointing day with the truck.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
bumwine

Ride tech HQ shocks are nice and adjustable
bumwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
jason999

Ive done some research and it looks like my shocks come in at:

12.56" compressed
19.84 Extended

On the truck it looks like my shocks are sitting at about 14.5"

So, it looks like my shocks will bottom with 2" of compression. I'm thinking that doesn't sound good? :-(

I just looked up Ridetech HQ and they look to be $185 each!!
Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Bilstein hands down.

Hope that helps.
Xs2 on Bilstein they are the ones i want for my truck too
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #9
Slow Build

I'm still trying to make the same decision. I used to buy the Edelbrock IAS shocks for my lowered trucks and loved them. Edelbrock no longer makes shocks and has sold their shock division to QA1. You might want to take a look at them as well.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:28 AM   #10
Chevy Fleetside

I put these on my truck all around. Made a big difference in the handling. I will also mention that two of my gas shocks were dead. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/be...olet/model/c10 They are $42 each. decent shock.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote