The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
ghlawhorn

Question, 1971 Auto turn signal

Hello,
As stated I have a 1971 Chevy C/K-10 with automatic and I want to replace the turn signal switch. I have read some of the posts on the forum but I am at the early stages and need to clarify a few things. I am including a picture of the column. It is a non-tilt non-key column. I have the wheel off and removed the signal arm and I have loosened all three Philips screws on the switch but I need to somehow get the push in hazard switch which protrudes through a side hole removed so I can pull the switch out. How do I remove the switch from the housing. I'm sure that once I get past this point I'll have other questions. Thank you for your patience.
Attached Images

ghlawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 AM   #2
GTSideSwipe

Exclamation Re: Question, 1971 Auto turn signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlawhorn View Post
Hello,
As stated I have a 1971 Chevy C/K-10 with automatic and I want to replace the turn signal switch. I have read some of the posts on the forum but I am at the early stages and need to clarify a few things. I am including a picture of the column. It is a non-tilt non-key column. I have the wheel off and removed the signal arm and I have loosened all three Philips screws on the switch but I need to somehow get the push in hazard switch which protrudes through a side hole removed so I can pull the switch out. How do I remove the switch from the housing. I'm sure that once I get past this point I'll have other questions. Thank you for your patience.
I just did this a while back. Lets see if I can remember correctly. Completely remove the three screws that clamp the switch to the column. Disconnect the switch and then there is a plate on the bottom side of the column that is clamped down by a few overhanging tabs and you need to remove the plate in order to feed the switch cable through. Just be sure not to bend them to much because I'm not sure sure how much they can bend be for snapping off. Just be easy with them. What you would do next is put the shifter in the neutral position and then rotate the upper section that has the flasher protruding counter clockwise so that it can slide forward in order to get the switch free. Just be patient with it. Hopefully another member can fill in any details I missed and got wrong. I'm a little rusty on this subject.

Last edited by GTSideSwipe; 02-04-2016 at 03:24 AM.
GTSideSwipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
klwebb

Re: Question, 1971 Auto turn signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSideSwipe View Post
I just did this a while back. Lets see if I can remember correctly. Completely remove the three screws that clamp the switch to the column. Disconnect the switch and then there is a plate on the bottom side of the column that is clamped down by a few overhanging tabs and you need to remove the plate in order to feed the switch cable through. Just be sure not to bend them to much because I'm not sure sure how much they can bend be for snapping off. Just be easy with them. What you would do next is put the shifter in the neutral position and then rotate the upper section that has the flasher protruding counter clockwise so that it can slide forward in order to get the switch free. Just be patient with it. Hopefully another member can fill in any details I missed and got wrong. I'm a little rusty on this subject.
got it pretty spot on, it takes a little while but if you just slowly work it, you can get it out. If youre looking for a new switch, autozone has em for ~50 i recently ordered on and replaced it and im very happy with it.
1977 Silverado longbed 350/350
1978 K10 shortbed 350/t400 lifted 6 inches on 33s
"LONGBED LIVES MATTER"
klwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
GTSideSwipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwebb View Post
got it pretty spot on, it takes a little while but if you just slowly work it, you can get it out. If youre looking for a new switch, autozone has em for ~50 i recently ordered on and replaced it and im very happy with it.
I got mine there as well. Later on I found out you can get an original design switch and me being the way I am had to get the original one. And I saved a little bit of money and got some lunch.

http://www.classicparts.com/mobile/1.../#.VrN2OcuIbqA
Old 02-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
ghlawhorn

Thank you for your help, so I have everything loose and I see it should all come apart fairly easy. Now here is a simple question, I need to pull off the shifter handle and it appears to be a pin holding it in place but its hard to see under the pin. Is it just a push pin that can be driven out? thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
SS Tim

Have you looked at the factory service and overhaul manuals?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
ghlawhorn

No, I just bought the truck and I am asking the question here from knowledgeable members before resorting to buying manuals.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #8
GTSideSwipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlawhorn View Post
Thank you for your help, so I have everything loose and I see it should all come apart fairly easy. Now here is a simple question, I need to pull off the shifter handle and it appears to be a pin holding it in place but its hard to see under the pin. Is it just a push pin that can be driven out? thanks
For the pin that holds the shifter handle in place. All I do is get the proper sized hex screwdriver and a hammer and tap it out from the under side. Be sure that the hex screwdriver isn't to small because the pin can get stuck on the end of the screwdriver shaft.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #9
ghlawhorn

Thank you, I thought so but even with my glasses on I couldn't see the under side of the pin hole.