The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
DTMsurf

New 72 c10 owner with a couple questions

So I just sold my 65 F100 and picked up a much nicer 72 C10. I've wanted one ever since I sold a 73 suburban 15yrs ago and regretted the hell out of that move. Anyway, I just replaced all four shocks and put new rotors and pads on the front so now it's time to start thinking about what to do next.

The truck has what looks like all the a/c equipment and in good condition. The seller had it charged but said there must be a leak. The question is do I attempt to get the a/c working or just pull it all out and move forward with headers and exhaust? (needs new exhaust). How many of you are having success with the original a/c systems?

Second question, I want to lower it 3" up front and 5" in the rear. It's a disc brake up front and leaf spring rear truck and I've been searching through all the kits but was hoping some of you might have suggestions. Looking for the most complete kit at the best price.

Third question, the truck has the two xtra gas tanks but both are disconnected. Do you think I should pull them off the truck to save weight? Would I be able to sell them as they look rust free? Has anyone pulled these, do they have to be cut out or are there bolts somewhere I can't see from under the truck?
Not sure why the pic is upside down?
Thanks for any info!
Bill in San Diego
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

DTMsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Katrina/10

Re: New 72 c10 owner with a couple questions

That's a good looking truck. I like the original A/C systems and think they are worth fixing. For lowering, drop spindles on the front and blocks on the rear work well. If that's not low enough, add some drop springs. As for the extra tanks, if you have no desire to use them, take them off. I just don't like having non-functional things on my truck. I'm sure someone would want them.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
engineer_gregh

Here is a flip for you. Nice looking truck. I would find an experienced R12 A/C person and get some solid advise before making a decision on the A/C and remove the tanks if not plumbed. Just my .02 cents.
Attached Images

1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
dfwright

The saddle tanks I had on mine had long bolts that went through the bed floor on top all the way down through a tube that had been welded into the tank to bolt them up. There were 4 bolts in each tank on mine, but you could clearly see the nuts/washers from the bottom, so they may have been different than the ones you have

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
flashed

Welcome ,nice truck you have there .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
The saddle tanks I had on mine had long bolts that went through the bed floor on top all the way down through a tube that had been welded into the tank to bolt them up. There were 4 bolts in each tank on mine, but you could clearly see the nuts/washers from the bottom, so they may have been different than the ones you have
Thanks I'll look again they should be the same
Old 02-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #7
dfwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMsurf View Post
Thanks I'll look again they should be the same
The saddle tanks were all aftermarket or dealer-add on, if I remember correctly, so they may very well be different. I've seen ones which have filler panels in the bed side, and some which have the filler tubes come out in the wheel wells.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
The saddle tanks were all aftermarket or dealer-add on, if I remember correctly, so they may very well be different. I've seen ones which have filler panels in the bed side, and some which have the filler tubes come out in the wheel wells.
Mine have the filler panels on the side of the bed, there is a bed liner in the truck that I have not looked under yet there may be the bolt tops there.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Welcome ,nice truck you have there .
Thank you sir!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #10
JW72ChevyTruck

DTMsurf, If your truck has factory installed A/C, you should keep it. It is worth a lot of money on resale. After market A/C, it nice to have in California.

Lowering the truck. My truck set very high, it has a 1 ton suspension and I would like to install air bags.

The extra gas tanks ? These 71-72 trucks are starting to come into there own as "Collector" trucks. With or without the saddle gas tanks, I don't think would make any difference. My vote, remove the tanks.

JW 72 Chevy Cheyenne, original owner
JW72ChevyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #11
DTMsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW72ChevyTruck View Post
DTMsurf, If your truck has factory installed A/C, you should keep it. It is worth a lot of money on resale. After market A/C, it nice to have in California.

Lowering the truck. My truck set very high, it has a 1 ton suspension and I would like to install air bags.

The extra gas tanks ? These 71-72 trucks are starting to come into there own as "Collector" trucks. With or without the saddle gas tanks, I don't think would make any difference. My vote, remove the tanks.

JW 72 Chevy Cheyenne, original owner
Thanks, seems the consensus is try to get the AC working and pull the tanks, those will be the next two items on my list.

Western suspension makes kits for around $500 that seem to have everything necessary to drop 3"/5" looks like new coil springs and spindles up front and new leafs, shock mounts for the rear. Anyone use one of these kits before?
Old 02-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #12
flashed

I cant help you with the lowering part as only one of mine (a 93) has been lowered and I bought it already lowered .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
72 Super

Welcome to the board! You have a nice looking truck to start with. Me personally yes I keep the factory AC and get it working. I lowered mine using 5inch springs in the rear and ECE 2.5 drop spindles with I believe 1.5 springs in the front.

Ray
Old 02-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
DTMsurf

So sure enough there are two carriage type bolt heads in the bed for each tank. Here is a pic of the underside, I've never seen a bolt like this before, gonna see if I can get this to turn.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 PM   #15
DTMsurf

Tanks are out the rear bolts came out no prob but I had to drill the heads out of the front two. Anyway if anyone in SoCal needs a set of these tanks they are free for the taking!