The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Harrison.

Holes in dash - what can I fill?

When I got my truck it had an automatic floor shifter but I've collected all the parts to convert it back to automatic column shift. Since the cab is currently off and I'm trying to finish the firewall/cowl area up before priming it I'm trying to figure out what all the holes are for. I found a few threads dedicated to the matter but I found pictures that describe one hole differently and was hoping someone could shed some light on them.

The hole I'm referring to is what the top pic says is for a clutch rod and the bottom says is for shift linkage:

Will I need that hole since I'm going back to column shift? The truck is an automatic..and was an automatic from the factory as far as I know but if nothing goes through it I'd like to fill it in. I also seem to recall there are few small holes in the hump in my firewall..I assume one is for the ground strap?

Thanks!
Harrison. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Holes in dash - what can I fill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
When I got my truck it had an automatic floor shifter but I've collected all the parts to convert it back to automatic column shift. Since the cab is currently off and I'm trying to finish the firewall/cowl area up before priming it I'm trying to figure out what all the holes are for. I found a few threads dedicated to the matter but I found pictures that describe one hole differently and was hoping someone could shed some light on them.

The hole I'm referring to is what the top pic says is for a clutch rod and the bottom says is for shift linkage:

Will I need that hole since I'm going back to column shift? The truck is an automatic..and was an automatic from the factory as far as I know but if nothing goes through it I'd like to fill it in. I also seem to recall there are few small holes in the hump in my firewall..I assume one is for the ground strap?

Thanks!

You will need it. The clutch rod goes through it. There is a rubber boot that fits it and seals around the clutch rod.

Just for reference the difference in the e-brake hole location is that the first picture is of a '67-'68 firewall and the second picture is of a '69-'72 firewall. The e-brake handle/foot pedals are in different locations.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-11-2016 at 08:19 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
leddzepp

If you are staying auto trans, there is a clutch delete plug that fills that hole. I believe member mahanian was selling them at one point on the parts board.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
Harrison.

Thank you for the replies!

I just realized that I put dash in the title instead of firewall..oh well..

The truck is an auto, originally an auto and staying an auto. I can easily weld a patch in at this point since the cab hasn't been painted yet. Do all cabs have the hole for the clutch? Mine is a 1970. I just wanted to make sure before I weld it up and regret it, and since the truck didn't have the column shift when I got it I wasn't sure.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:21 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
Thank you for the replies!

I just realized that I put dash in the title instead of firewall..oh well..

The truck is an auto, originally an auto and staying an auto. I can easily weld a patch in at this point since the cab hasn't been painted yet. Do all cabs have the hole for the clutch? Mine is a 1970. I just wanted to make sure before I weld it up and regret it, and since the truck didn't have the column shift when I got it I wasn't sure.

No problem on the title.... The pictures say it all..

OK, I was confused on the first post. I thought you were changing it to manual. I guess I need to read closer..

There were two styles of cover for the hole: the one ledzepp mentioned and a metal one that is held on with two small screws. Here is a link to the plastic plug one.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ch+delete+plug

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-12-2016 at 11:52 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
Harrison.

I probably wasn't very clear in my first post

Thanks for the link! I'm just going to weld in a patch tonight since it's easily accessible right now and I think it'll look good.

I may still have questions yet, I think there are a few holes that I don't see in the above pic on my firewall but I'll have to check. Will keep you posted.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
Harrison.

What are the four holes on the transmission hump? I'm thinking one is for a ground strap but what about the other three 1/2" holes?