The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
pilotXC

Door Drain Dilemma

I've searched and haven't found a lot to help with my issue, so just want some more opinions... I have to park my truck on the street unfortunately, and being in the Northwest, we get a decent amount of rain. On the drivers side, I'm getting water soaked into the carpet, which creates moisture in the cab, get some mold on the carpet, condensation inside the windows, etc. I know these trucks are about as water tight as a cheese grater, but would still love to at least keep the soaking moisture off the carpet if I can.

Problem is due to the crown of the road, I'm guessing the water comes in the window down the inside of the door, out the drain hold in the bottom of the door and due to the angle the truck is at, the water pools in the bottom of the rocker and gets absorbed into the carpet.

I replaced the door seal on the cab, the old one was in pretty bad shape, with the seal from GMC Paul's. I didn't rebuild the doors yet. I also drilled a few small holes underneath the door seal in the outer rocker hoping the water would drain out, but it's not working.

Any other suggestions or experience with something similar? I'm not sure exactly why with the holes I drilled it's not draining out the rockers, but hoping I can figure it out. Not super excited about the issue and nothing I can do about the parking issue until I move to a different house some time down the road.
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: Door Drain Dilemma

The drain holes are located along the pinch seam, which is outside of the door weather stripping. Even if you had enough road crown to drive water from the drain hole towards the door opening, the weather stripping would stop it. It would take A LOT of road crown to do this though because the bottom of the doors are slanted down towards the drain holes. My bet is that your windshield seal is leaking or that you have a leak in your rain gutter above the windshield, and water is running down the inside of your windshield pillar and dripping on your carpet right at the inside of the door. Next time it rains, stuff a shop towel up under your dash where the windshield pillar opens into it. If the towel gets wet, then you narrowed down the source of the leak.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Hello from across town. Try looking under the dash at the bottom of the cowl for signs of rust thru from the cowl area. This area is a common rust through area and could be affected by the vehicles positioning. Here is a link that helped me visualize where the water in my Burban was coming from. I had a little bit of moisture from this area and a lot from the sealant failure in my drip rail (area that cleszkie mentioned). Suburban drip rails collect a LOT of water. Which then ran down inside the front of the door frames to the drain holes (which were plugged) so it backed up through holes in the bottom of the kick panels. Good luck.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=721974
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Willie Makeit

My bet is the water is coming from the windshield gasket area and running down to the floorboard thru the weepholes in the dash.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
pilotXC

Thank you both for the help!! The carpet is only wet from about half way from the back of the cab to the back of the cab, which is why I think it's either from the door or something behind the door. I was just out looking and thinking maybe it's the seal for the gas tank neck? I replaced the rear window and used sealant inside the gasket, so it's not coming from there and agree on the door seal being inside the weep holes in the bottom of the doors. There is pooled water on the rocker when I open the door though the right corner... Here's a picture of the angle it's sitting at while parked, it's pretty extreme. Anyway, need to keep my eyes on it and any other thoughts would be helpful, thanks again, love the help on these boards!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by pilotXC; 12-27-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:23 PM   #6
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
My bet is the water is coming from the windshield gasket area and running down to the floorboard thru the weepholes in the dash.
Second that? Mine does the same thing if I park it nose down. It leaks through the WS seal . Hopefully when I replace the windshield and new seal, the problem will go away.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
67swb72klb

There is a water shield these trucks had to cover the access hole behind the door panel that may be your problem...
Old 12-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
weq92f

You sure those cab lights up on top are all sealed up good? I think you should definitely do the test with the dry towels up under your dash just to make sure it's not coming from there.

Moisture intrusions into vehicles can a lot of fun to find!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
Mike C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Hello from across town. Try looking under the dash at the bottom of the cowl for signs of rust thru from the cowl area. This area is a common rust through area and could be affected by the vehicles positioning. Here is a link that helped me visualize where the water in my Burban was coming from. I had a little bit of moisture from this area and a lot from the sealant failure in my drip rail (area that cleszkie mentioned). Suburban drip rails collect a LOT of water. Which then ran down inside the front of the door frames to the drain holes (which were plugged) so it backed up through holes in the bottom of the kick panels. Good luck.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=721974
Yup. This is where the leak in my truck comes from.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 AM   #10
pilotXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
You sure those cab lights up on top are all sealed up good? I think you should definitely do the test with the dry towels up under your dash just to make sure it's not coming from there.

Moisture intrusions into vehicles can a lot of fun to find!

-klb
Good question on the lights. I want to remove them anyway, maybe this is more motivation to do it sooner than later... I don't think they leak, but who the hell knows for sure? You're right, a lot of fun indeed!! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:43 AM   #11
pilotXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67swb72klb View Post
There is a water shield these trucks had to cover the access hole behind the door panel that may be your problem...
Thanks!! I'll check that out for sure, much appreciated!