The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

What is the average cost for seat recovering in your area?

I have been trying to get quotes to have the 04 Dodge seats in my 72 recovered. I found a place that let me see their work, while they were doing some, and I really like it. My seat is basically like 2 buckets and a console. I am wanting them to make new covers and add hounds tooth to the centers to look more original. They quoted me $500 per seat and that is no foam work, and does not include the center console. Is this high or about average for something like this?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
custom10nut

Re: What is the average cost for seat recovering in your area?

18 years ago I had my Blazer buckets redone for my truck. Nothing real fancy but looks good.
They were $700 back then, so with inflation, the $1000 for the seats would sound about right.
Shop around a little and see what you can find.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
ccautoupholstery

I do auto upholstery in idaho, now on my own out of my shop but have worked at a few others and that is a pretty average price for around here. I go a little cheaper bc its a side job/hobby for me and bc i dont have the overhead that your average shop has.
ccautoupholstery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:59 AM   #4
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I have been trying to get quotes to have the 04 Dodge seats in my 72 recovered. I found a place that let me see their work, while they were doing some, and I really like it. My seat is basically like 2 buckets and a console. I am wanting them to make new covers and add hounds tooth to the centers to look more original. They quoted me $500 per seat and that is no foam work, and does not include the center console. Is this high or about average for something like this?
Depends, is that quote,
Them pulling the seats and them taking them apart (i.e. splitting the two buckets and console )

or is this you bringing them the seat already out..

You also didn't say what the non hounds tooth part will be covered with, leather, vinyl/cloth?

figure 100 bones an hour so 3 ?hours per seat to take it out , take it apart, make patterns, cut the new and sew it together then fit it, and put it back together and then in the truck..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:24 AM   #5
Foureye71

I got mine done for 300ish w/ foam on the drivers side only and I had already pulled my seat.
Foureye71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
James the III

Might be easier/cheaper to get pre made replacement skins and have the hounds tooth center... then putting them on..
https://katzkin.com/truck
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

Have you checked with Art? He was having some covers made by someone in the DM area that had some fancy stitching and logos sewn into them. They looked really good.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
truckster

I got a local quote to recover the leather seats in my Z28. I don't remember the exact price, but it was somewhere around a kidney each.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
1968aj

I bought these parchment factory bucket sets with new covers and console for$1000. shop around you can find a small upholstery shop that willmake you a good deal
Attached Images

1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
Depends, is that quote,
Them pulling the seats and them taking them apart (i.e. splitting the two buckets and console )

or is this you bringing them the seat already out..

You also didn't say what the non hounds tooth part will be covered with, leather, vinyl/cloth?

figure 100 bones an hour so 3 ?hours per seat to take it out , take it apart, make patterns, cut the new and sew it together then fit it, and put it back together and then in the truck..
The non hounds tooth will be vinyl, and this is with me bringing the seats in, them not removing them from the truck or the tracks etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
Might be easier/cheaper to get pre made replacement skins and have the hounds tooth center... then putting them on..
https://katzkin.com/truck
Do you have any good recommendations to get covers made for a 04 Dodge seat with the hounds tooth type centers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Have you checked with Art? He was having some covers made by someone in the DM area that had some fancy stitching and logos sewn into them. They looked really good.

LockDoc
I called his guy last fall and never got a return call. Maybe I'll have to try again.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #11
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Grandpa had the seats out of his '05 completely redone with new foam and covers for $300 apiece and they turned out amazing.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:30 AM   #12
Hombre321

Price is a relative thing and varies by the guy and the location. Now you could do what I did (Don't by the way) and decide to do your own upholstery.

To do that you will need to go out and buy a real good upholstery machine, thread, hog rings, scissors, cutters, pattern making materials and about a ton and a half of upholstery to practice on.

Then after a few months you can even try a real seat, maybe. here are the first seats I did, these are in my little chopped Model A but maybe you get the idea.

So how much did this dummy spend on his seats you ask? I figure it is right around 5 or 6 grand so far.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2017, 01:53 AM   #13
OhioChevy

With new foam and covers bought from GMC Paul. A local shop did the work of tearing the old covers off and installing the new ones. The cost of every thing came to $1000.00. The guy did an amazing job for me.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #14
tommys72

Buy the covers and do them yourself, save some dough

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote