The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
72gmc350sbc

Installing a turn signal switch from nothing

Hey all, I've got a 72 GMC, original steering column, non tilt. I ordered a new turn signal switch because I'm having blinker probelms. Does anyone have pictures of one installed or the process. I ask because currently The truck does not have the turn signal switch in the column it's screwed under the dash and I have to manually blink it. It's not as simple as swapping it out I have to put the new one in so I have nothing to compare it too. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Installing a turn signal switch from nothing

-
Here is a thread that you can look through.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711090

And here is a copy from a post by member "Aussie Ol' Blue"

"1. remove steering wheel
2. remove the white plastic cam
3. remove the indicator lever screw and remove lever
4. remove the three screws holding the indicator switch and carefully lift the switch out and over the steering shaft
5. remove the pin holding the gear shift lever.(auto) Mine just pulled out, but if you need to "convince" it, use a small punch from the underside.
6. remove the gear shift indicator.(only to prevent possible damage )(2 screws)
7. Remove the gear shift indicator lamp from the housing. This is a fibre optic cable leading to the back of your gauge bezel. don't cut it because its not a re-spliceable wire!
8. The tricky bit! take the cowl that the switch was sitting in, in both hands and rotate it counter clockwise about 90 degrees while putting some downward pressure on it,and pull it towards you.It may need a bit of a wiggle. If it hasn't come off go back to your starting position and try again, this piece has a couple of little locator bumps on it to hold it in place and these are what you need to manoeuvre past. When you do this the bearing and bearing holder will slip off at the same time.
9. Slide the shift lever housing/cowl back towards you and remove.
10. On the underside of the column is a slide plate. slide the rubber around the column/under the gauge bezel thingy up the column and with a small screwdriver push the slide plate forward and remove. there should be a small lip.
11. Disconnect the wiring loom and remove.
12. Feed the new switch loom and basically reverse your procedure.

Be sure that when you put your new loom in to put the switch in place over the shaft and make sure the loom doesn't twist un-naturally and cause breakage down the line.. once you are happy with the loom position take it off the shaft and put everything back in reverse order of removal, The gear shift cowl may not slide straight back on, so lift the steering shaft with a screwdriver as you slip the cowl back on. Also make sure the loom sits in the notch at the six o'clock position of the top cowl. Don't force or feed any of the of the loom with a screwdriver or similar.

If you take care and patience its an easy (and when your done quite logical) procedure. I'm writing this under the influence of pain killers and may have missed something, so my apologies in advance but I'm pretty sure I have the main points covered

I hope this is helpful. Good luck."

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
72gmc350sbc

Re: Installing a turn signal switch from nothing

Awesome, thank you for the help. I hope the screws to hold the actual piece is still in there!