The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2003, 07:07 PM   #1
tomsC10R

Same new guy with frame questions

Well, I went and looked at a 68 frame that's for sale.

It is a shortbox frame. Full suspension intact.

But it's been in Wiscsonsin for quite some time by the looks of it.

The frame looks like it's in fairly good condition except for a few spots. One frame bed mount (where the bed would be attached to) was rusted out. There seemed to be alot of rust inbetween the frame and the rear upper coil spring perches. Grabbed a piece and broke it off. The Control arms (Truck arms) seemed to be spreading apart and it looked like there was something wedged inbetween the two layers of metal (rust??) The rest of the frame looked solid, mainly just surface rust.

So now I have a few more questions for everyone.

1) How hard is it and what is involved in replacing the frame bed mount and the spring perches? Can I buy new ones or do I have to find them? How much are these?

2) How much are new control (truck arms)?

3) Does the crossmember (above the rearend) fit between the frame and the upper spring perches? Maybe that's what was rusted. I guess I should've looked a little closer.

4) What are most people asking for a frame of this type? How much would a totally stock 12 bolt go for? Just curious.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks again,
Tom

Last edited by tomsC10R; 11-15-2003 at 07:39 PM.
tomsC10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Is there any way you can travel down south for a frame? Around these parts, a rust free, needs nothing short frame is about 2-300 dollars. It would be worth your drive.

The frame is your truck's backbone, you want a good sturdy one.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:26 PM   #3
tomsC10R

Tx Firefighter,

Do you know off hand where I'd be able to locate before driving down there to dig through the yards myself?

Like I said, this frame looks strong. Just a little rusty in a couple spots.

Any other opinions?? Is it rare to find 12 bolt rearends for these trucks?

Tom
Old 11-15-2003, 11:28 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter

I have a 68 model short bed frame, complete roller, for 400 dollars. 3.73 rear end drum brake of course, tires all hold air.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:43 PM   #5
tomsC10R

Is it a 10 or 12 bolt rear? Wheels and tires icluded? I can't make it down there right now, possibly in the future. Thanks!

Tom
Old 11-16-2003, 12:04 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter

12 bolt, rolling on 4 tires and wheels
Old 11-16-2003, 01:12 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

12 bolt was standard equipment. Anything else is *rare*. (1/2 ton truck rear...not 3/4 ton)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:22 AM   #8
cableguy0

chevy never put the 10 bolts your thinking of in these trucks. the 10 bolt that came in these trucks was in 3/4 and one tons and was a floating axle whole different animal than the weak little puny ten bolt your thinking of
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 02:19 AM   #9
tomsC10R

Woops, thanks for the info

What about my other questions...

About replacing those items on the frame. What's the rearend itself worth?

I could probably get everything for $150... So, what do you think?...

Tom
Old 11-16-2003, 05:04 AM   #10
doughby82

if i under stand you right,the spring perch cups can be bought for next to nothing,i got some from wes.trailing arms i bought off someone on this board for 50 bucks,and the stuff that looks like its wedged in there IS RUST.the bed mounts if your talking about the front ones that are arched up,im sure someone on the board can cut some off of one of there parts trucks.hope this helps
doughby82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:32 AM   #11
Huck

I recently sold a nice 5 bolt short rolling frame for $300. It had NO rust damage at all, was straight and painted with POR15.
The rust out of a bed or cab support is not a big deal but, BUT, the rust that is between the rear supension crossmember where it is rivited to the frame rails IS! That stuff you see between the metal is the metal expanding do to rust. Most of the damage there you can't see as it is hidden by the surface metal. I would be careful with that as if that rust is fairly thick, then the frame rails are weak which can mean a problem waiting to happen. Removing and patching is a job that requires a good welder who knows what he is doing. Got a buddy with a 5bolt, lowered ($400 kit with control arms etc installed), SWB rolling frame that can be had for $400. Not sure on the rust but could find out----.
When you add up the cost of parts, shipping costs, work ---to get that rusted frame solid----you may actually exceed the cost of getting a decent rust free 5 bolt setup. Patience grasshopper----a better one may come along and you will feel better about the rest of the project knowing that you are starting with a solid platform. My .02
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:52 PM   #12
tomsC10R

Doughby & Huck,

Thanks for the replies. I might go back and take a better look at it today keeping in mind what both of you said. It's good to know there are other frames out there available in good condition, it kind of calms some of the excitement I had when I saw this one in the shopper's guide

Thanks,
Tom