The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2003, 12:58 AM   #1
chucks70

6 Cyl. dist ?

PO changed the dizzy from point to HEI on a 292. Problem is it leaks oil around where it goes into the engine. Is it supposed to have an O-ring or something on it or would 2 gaskets help seal it? It is held down tight by the dist. clamp.

Still need air cleaner and attachments for 292 with PB. Also need correct pulley set-up/bracket/harmonic balancer. No PS. Can get the alt. and water pump to line up but the belt hits the high spot in the harmonic balancer that is in between the inner and outer groove.
Can you get a machine shop to cut a new groove in the harmonic balancer?
Old 11-27-2003, 07:49 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

I'm not sure about the L6 HEI set up, but the old points type distributor had a cardboard or fiber gasket that's supposed to mate with the machined pad before the distr shaft goes in. Dab it with clean oil. After you get your timing the 9/16 bolt is tightened on the hold down and this should be enough pressure to seal it.
I wouldn't mess w/ the balancer. It might be easier to modify your alternator bracket fore or aft to get a right pulley alignment. I had an alternator exchange shop switch to a 2 groove pulley on the delcotron to get proper alignment. But I don't have PS or A/C.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 11-27-2003 at 07:55 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
oldsub86

I have an HEI in the garage that I have yet to install. If memory serves correct there is a rubber "o" ring type seal on the shaft.

I had trouble with alignment of the pulleys too. I don't know why as the truck was not original when I got it. The water pump did not align with the alternator or the balancer. We machined about 1/4 inch off of the "nose" of the balancer so that it would slide in closer to the engine. We also cut a little bit out of the alternator itself and then used washers to space it back. A little crude perhaps but it has worked like that for the past 15 years or more.