The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #1
fdbdw

Help finding new heads

Need help/experience with head replacement. Mark IV 396 bbc, edelbrock performer cam, performer manifold, AVS2 carb, Sanderson mid length headers. looking to replace heads. I’ve done a lot of work on this truck and previous trucks but I have never replaced heads. Looking for opinions, thank you
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
demian5

Re: Help finding new heads

Simple stuff, what do you really need info on?

They are heavy. I remember being young and pulling a set off my lifted 73 suburban by myself. Easy to do, but heavy as s%$@! Get a second set of hands when doing.

Drain the coolant out and pull the block drains on the side of the block as well to get more coolant out below the head level. Watch that the very rear/very front bolt holes for the headers are not close to being stripped and fix while on the bench.

A good set of big oval "pass" heads are nice. Run roller tipped rockers and match port your manifold. The roller tips will save wear on the heads of the valves.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
weim55

What is your goal or issue that necessitates cylinder head replacement? Are you looking for a performance upgrade, is this a bone stock engine that you wish to keep all original parts on? Is there a problem with the original heads that need to be fixed?

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
fdbdw

[QUOTE=weim55;8587762]What is your goal or issue that necessitates cylinder head replacement? Are you looking for a performance upgrade, is this a bone stock engine that you wish to keep all original parts on? Is there a problem with the original heads that need to be fixed?

Steve weim55 Colorado[/QUOT

Sorry for not being clear, I’m looking for a performance upgrade. I’m assuming oval port aluminum heads, looking for recommendations.
Thank you
Old 09-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
RustyBucket

Out of curiosity which heads are currently on the truck?
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
fdbdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
Out of curiosity which heads are currently on the truck?
Bone stock
Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbdw View Post
Bone stock
Open or closed chamber?
Peanut, oval or square ports?
Head casting numbers, block casting number and suffix code help.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The Edelbrock "performer" cam will be more of a hindrance than the heads.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #9
weim55

There is an endless number of oval port big block cylinder heads to choose from from various aftermarket vendors. I would call Edelbrock and have them match a set of their cylinder heads to the camshaft and intake manifold you have. Edelbrock “Package” sets work really well. Good USA made big block Chevy cylinder heads are very expensive. It’s tempting to go with some cheap Chinese heads for cost savings but trust me, it’s not worth the saved money. Many small problems and fittiment issues.

Something that will be very important to check and make compatible, particularly at our high altitude, is to get the chamber volume correct in those heads to keep your compression ratio up. Don’t let anyone talk you into an open chamber cylinder head. Most tech lines want to play it safe and keep you in the 8.5 to 9.0 compression ratio range for engines running at sea level. If your truck is a fun street toy and not used for heavy towing keep that compression ratio no lower than 10 to 1 and optimally no higher than 10.5 to 1. The engine will be MUCH snappier at our Colorado high altitude if you keep that compression up .

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
sauxs

I'm replacing the iron Merlin heads on my bbc Camaro with AFR 265cc oval port heads. I'm using the full cnc chamber version that are 112cc. Should increase my compression into the 10.5 range.
I did a lot of research and these seem to get excellent reviews. I picked mine up new from an individual that decided to go in a different direction. I got them and a new custom ground hydraulic roller camshaft for less than the price of just the heads.
I'm plan on doing this as a winter project.
Hope this helps! Just my 2 cents..
sauxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
fdbdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
There is an endless number of oval port big block cylinder heads to choose from from various aftermarket vendors. I would call Edelbrock and have them match a set of their cylinder heads to the camshaft and intake manifold you have. Edelbrock “Package” sets work really well. Good USA made big block Chevy cylinder heads are very expensive. It’s tempting to go with some cheap Chinese heads for cost savings but trust me, it’s not worth the saved money. Many small problems and fittiment issues.

Something that will be very important to check and make compatible, particularly at our high altitude, is to get the chamber volume correct in those heads to keep your compression ratio up. Don’t let anyone talk you into an open chamber cylinder head. Most tech lines want to play it safe and keep you in the 8.5 to 9.0 compression ratio range for engines running at sea level. If your truck is a fun street toy and not used for heavy towing keep that compression ratio no lower than 10 to 1 and optimally no higher than 10.5 to 1. The engine will be MUCH snappier at our Colorado high altitude if you keep that compression up .

Steve weim55 Colorado
Good information, thanks you. Fortunately I’m past the point in my life of going cheap. I’ve worked hard enough, long enough to buy what I want .