The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
PureChevy

Brake Problem?????

I think there is something wrong with my brakes, or something up front. While moving, my truck makes an awful squealing noise. I took it into the shop and they checked my brakes and said everything looked fine. Said there was a glaze on the pads that was causing the squealing. I dont think they heard the same squeal that i am hearing. The one thing that makes me think it is the brakes is that the squealing stops when i apply the brakes.

any suggestions? I am going to have to take it back in and would like to be able to give them some ideas.

thanks
Old 12-03-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
VTKidder

Being a '72, I assume you've got disc brakes up front. Is the squeal coming from the front or rear (again, I assume front). A couple things to check might be the little metal ears that stick off each side of the brake pad, and hit the rotor as the pads wear down; they start to squeal and let you know a brake job is coming, before you wear through the pad and ruin the rotor. Check to make sure there isn't anything embedded into the pad that might be rubbing, like a rock or piece of metal for some reason, check the surface of the rotor to see if it's flat (relatively), and if there's a groove, pull everything apart and find out what is causing the problem.

Some pads will just squeal no matter what. I don't really understand why it stops when you press the brake, but it just does. It's happened to me and I just ignored it. Some pads are a metallic based, and have shards of metal in them to make them last longer. My folks have a '94 caprice LT1 cop car, and the pads and rotors called out for it squeal right out of the box. Everytime you press the brake, they squeal.

If you pull it apart and can't find anything and it's really starting to piss you off, new rotors and pads can probably be scored for $150. Just check for foreign stuff crammed into the brakes, where stuff has been rubbing, etc. Check the obvious.
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

I think I would find another shop....from what you describe the first thing I would look at is the front pads. A lot of brake pads have a "squealer" [for lack of a better word] on them to let you know the pads need replaceing before the rotor is damaged. Could be something else, but that is the first thing to check
Old 12-03-2003, 11:36 AM   #4
PureChevy

I know about the squeal warnings, but it doesnt sound like that.
they pulled everything apart and couldnt find anything. Said that the pads look good. They are at about 50%.
The sound is coming from the front. Could it be that they are locking up or something?
VT: mine dont squeal when you press the brake. They stop squealing when you press the brake.

the squeal is not a light sounding squeal. It is a loud, grind your teeth, kind of squeal.

Last edited by PureChevy; 12-03-2003 at 11:44 AM.
PureChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #5
tom hand
CCRider

If it is not the brakes, but it stops when you apply the brakes...wheel bearings are next on the list to check
Old 12-03-2003, 12:32 PM   #6
cdowns

i'd take the calipers off and lightly sand the surface where they slide in and out also applying a light coating of brake grease to the sliding area
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #7
PureChevy

What would be involved, if i wanted to replace everything in front. ie; calipers, pads, rotors, bearings, hoses? Does somebody sell a kit with everything for a 4x4? Also, how much labor am i looking at to have someone put this stuff on?
Old 12-03-2003, 02:06 PM   #8
VTKidder

It takes very little mechanical ability to change pads, calipers and rotors on your own (no reason for hose change if they don't leak). It's pretty cut & dry on what needs to come off for the swap; disconnect the brake line from the calipers, 2 caliper bolts come out and the caliper and pads are free to be changed. The rotor and bearings may be a little more in depth as there are races pressed into the rotor, etc. I've actually never done rotors on a solid axle 4x4 as I've never owned one. Someday I will. The calipers and pads though are pretty much brainless, and can be done by any half capable mechanic in an hour or so.

Someone else will have to pickup the knowhow on the rotors. They may just pull off over the studs once the caliper is removed, but I don't know for sure......
Old 12-03-2003, 02:13 PM   #9
PureChevy

thanks VT. I have done break jobs before but never this indepth. I also dont have the tools to do it or the time, i wish i did. The main thing i am looking for is a kit with all the stuff combined. I found one on one of the venders sites, but it was 2wd only.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:28 PM   #10
VTKidder

Not that I know of. It's probably a lot easier just to drive to your local parts store and get the parts there. If you don't use something, you can return it, no waiting on shipping, etc. To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen a complete 4x4 brake kit.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:30 PM   #11
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Brakes are easy....you should be able to easily put on new pads, pull the rotors, and check and repack the wheel bearings. Like an hour job for my 2wd....i would imagine it might be a bit harder for your 4wd, but i'm not sure.

I had a problem once where the brakes would squeal while the truck was moving, but then sometimes they would be quiet after pushing down the brake pedal. A new set of pads solved my problem.

Parts are cheap too....i think it was like $15 for the pads for my truck, $7 each to resurface the rotors, and a few dollars for a can of wheel bearing grease. Remember to replace the grease seals on the rotors too when you have them off....the seals are only about $2 each and will prevent the grease from leaking out or water getting into the wheel bearing assembly.

If you are still a little wary, buy a Hanes or Chilton manual for the truck....they have nice pictures and diagrams of just about every mechanical assembly on the truck....they really help me out alot when i am working on mine
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:33 PM   #12
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

I'd check the wheel bearings. I had one blow up on me (not really) and it made a horrible squealing noise.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:13 AM   #13
PureChevy

could it be that my brakes are not releasing all the way?? Sometimes it feels as though my truck is not rolling as freely as it should be.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:23 AM   #14
biglou55

( I had a wheel bearing go south on me and it was spinning the race on the spindle. it really squealed when i moved the truck. luckily it didn,t hurt the spindle. it felt like the brake was dragging just my 02#

Last edited by biglou55; 12-04-2003 at 10:28 AM.
biglou55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:43 AM   #15
avatnar

re:brake problem

i am curently going through the same problem...it was a spun race on my bearing on a 69 chevy c-10.
avatnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:11 AM   #16
PureChevy

Biglou55 and avatnar: i think it is something like what yall are talking about. I think i am just going to have the pads and bearing replaced, and the rotors turned. Hopefully that will get rid of my problem.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:40 PM   #17
avatnar

you may want to also pay special attention to your hubs. i discovered that i also had some wear and or damage there which was why i spun the race in the first place i think.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:59 PM   #18
PureChevy

that is true avatnar. I will check out the hubs too. I hope nothing is wrong with them.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:36 PM   #19
avatnar

yes because i have drums all around, and buying them at the local parts store was out of the question. i didn't se them in any of my catalogs and this truck is also a daily driver soooo. luckily i found a donor 65 at the boneyard or i would have been screwed. took a little creativity but its rollin.