The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #1
CamTra

Installing a Big Block in a 67 Chevy truck that formally had a 6 Cylinder

What motor mounts do I need to purchase? I read something about tower mounts but not sure which mountsI am installing a 1972 454 chevy engine (Auto Trans) with headers in a 1967 Chevy truck, that formally had a 6 cylinder engine. Also what springs do I need to buy for the front? The springs will be factory height.
Thank you in advance for any information.
CamTra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:01 AM   #2
rand68

Re: Installing a Big Block in a 67 Chevy truck that formally had a 6 Cylinder

O just seen this i used the 6 mounts cut & flattened top randy
rand68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTra View Post
What motor mounts do I need to purchase? I read something about tower mounts but not sure which mountsI am installing a 1972 454 chevy engine (Auto Trans) with headers in a 1967 Chevy truck, that formally had a 6 cylinder engine. Also what springs do I need to buy for the front? The springs will be factory height.
Thank you in advance for any information.

You will need the '68-'71 big block frame brackets or the '72 only big block frame brackets. I think the '73 up big block frame brackets and motor mounts will work but you have to notch the frame a little bit. I have never used the later ones but maybe someone who has will chime in....

Somewhere I have a picture and part numbers of the headers I used on my '67 with the 454. I remember I bought them at Summit. They fit great.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:40 AM   #4
CamTra

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
You will need the '68-'71 big block frame brackets or the '72 only big block frame brackets. I think the '73 up big block frame brackets and motor mounts will work but you have to notch the frame a little bit. I have never used the later ones but maybe someone who has will chime in....

Somewhere I have a picture and part numbers of the headers I used on my '67 with the 454. I remember I bought them at Summit. They fit great.

LockDoc
Please post if you can find them. Any pics or part numbers would help greatly. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
68GMCCamperSpecial

I have a set of the 1972 big block brackets that I do not need. If you are interested PM me.

Jim Prater

Last edited by 68GMCCamperSpecial; 05-02-2020 at 11:27 AM. Reason: left out - "big block"
68GMCCamperSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Please post if you can find them. Any pics or part numbers would help greatly. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
I couldn't find my invoice for the headers but here are a couple of pictures of the old ones I took off. They fit good.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
CamTra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCamperSpecial View Post
I have a set of the 1972 big block brackets that I do not need. If you are interested PM me.

Jim Prater
Definitely interested. PM sent
Old 05-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
68Gold/white

If you are using the 67 frame, you may need to trim that top part of the frame, where the exhaust manifolds/headers are close to.
Supposedly all 68 and up frames are made thinner there, to accommodate a big block engine, if so equipped. I am using a 72 frame on my 67. The frame is narrower (like my 68 396 pickup's frame) on the 72, it had a 350 originally.
There's threads here about this subject, I'm lousy at using the search function, here...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
SCOTI

Chevelle & Camaro headers can work on these trucks as well. Any BBC header will possibly require slight clearancing of the frame rail @ certain spots. When I did mine, I made sure there was about 3/8 clearance from the 'worst' tube (68-72 Chevelle headers from Sanderson) & then scribed a line on the rail & trimmed to that point. When you look @ the rail it appears un-modified until you compare it directly w/another truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #10
CamTra

Thanks all. But I already have some headers on my engine and if I have to modify the frame I will. I am more interested in what engine mounts to purchase for this. I've read other posts that suggest "towers" for my mounts to help with the clearance. However, not being the best mechanic minded person, I've searched high and low and can't seem to find any mounts that go by Tower mounts or anything similar to that. What is the best recommendation as far as my engine mounts for this '67?
Old 05-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks all. But I already have some headers on my engine and if I have to modify the frame I will. I am more interested in what engine mounts to purchase for this. I've read other posts that suggest "towers" for my mounts to help with the clearance. However, not being the best mechanic minded person, I've searched high and low and can't seem to find any mounts that go by Tower mounts or anything similar to that. What is the best recommendation as far as my engine mounts for this '67?
POL sells an aftermarket tubular engine stand/tower.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #12
kell490

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
POL sells an aftermarket tubular engine stand/tower.
I used the pol's engine mounts sits lower then the factory mounts I ended up cutting the plate off the bottom of the pol and re-welding some tube in there had them re-powder coated. I was trying to fit 2" primary custom headers may work fine with 1 3/4 primary which most brands sold on summit are for the 1968 or newer factory offered 396. The frame on the 68 is cut narrower top side of the C frame rails. I had to do some trimming. If I were do to this again I would not go with a BBC just been too much of a pita someone had a SBC in it before everything fit lot better.
kell490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #13
70STOVEBOLT

68-71 big block towers (frame mounts) like Leon said. They allow enough clearance for the big block manifolds. I used Chevelle headers, Hedman 68198, with no modifications, but they don’t hang below the frame and you will have to get an aftermarket trans cross member. I used my stock 6 cyl springs and it rides well at the same height as the 6 did. Also if you use Chevelle headers you will have to modify your shift linkage for auto trans, don’t know about manual trans linkage. Finally, you will need to shorten the stock driveshaft or have one made to fit.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear