The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
acl

GMC vs chevy

Have a couple old Chevy truck, and ran up on a 69 GMC shot bed for sale.
Nicely done, frame off resto, only asking 9k. Never followed the GMC's much. Never had one or sold one. Is there just not as much interest in the GMC's. I do prefer the front of the chevy but this seems like a good buy. thoughts?
acl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
gmc684x4

Re: GMC vs chevy

67 68 share the same fenders
Same cab drivetrains options will differ on the chevy gmc specific ones

Looks of the front clip is the difference between the two

I usualy see them both sell for similar prices

9 k seems like a real deal on a restored shortbox
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
truckster

If it seems like a good deal to you I would jump on it. The GMC trucks are every bit as good as the Chevy trucks, and while there are some who would walk past a better GMC to buy a lesser Chevy, their value is roughly equal and some people will pay a premium for GMC because there are fewer of them.

Although I have a Blazer, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a Jimmy for the right price.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
71gmcC15

It's all a matter of preference. GMC specific stuff is hard to find and a lot is not made. Like the park light harness and housings. Wich I think is dumb because gmc never changed them throw .67-72 but chevy ones they ask how many and what color. As stated above the fenders are the same as 67 and 68 chevys. They never changed them either. The 67s have and 68s have a different bumper then 69 up. But every thing else sheet metal and drive train is the same. Besides some trim level stuff .As for value. Gms should bring more being there are less of them but generally dont. People want chevys.
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:47 AM   #5
Ptjsk

Real trucks have a steel grill, others have a plastic egg-crate.

Ok....Ok....Just kidding! LOL!

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:53 AM   #6
gmc684x4

Lol took me a life time to like dads milk crate grill

I was thinking of swapping 67 68 grill on it
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by acl View Post
Is there just not as much interest in the GMC's. I do prefer the front of the chevy but this seems like a good buy. thoughts?
I will say there is no shortage of interest in the original GM trucks. In fact, I have noticed quite a surge of newer interest in them in the 67-72 range. You are with a large group who are focused on the 67/68 Chevy front end, but that wasn't always the largest group. 71/72s were the most popular for decades. I used to hear people call all 67-72s "'72s" from the later-'70s well into the '90s.

When I first came here there were questions on how to swap the Chevy front end onto GMCs. It was very common. It seemed like every GMC shortbed was getting swapped to a Chevy grille. I would post "Go find a Chevy and leave the GMC for one who can appreciate it. I even got knocked for that. Now I see GMC left as the proud trucks they are and even some swapping from Chevy to GMC.

It's kind of like the Chevelle/GTO thing to me. Something about a GTO in a sea of Chevelles that makes it even cooler to me. I guess most go for most popular, so there are more. I go for just as nice but don't see as many. I could add "Even cooler" but I'm not that heavy on making comparisons. I operate on I like what I like and you can like what you like. I'm a truck guy and GMC is a truck company.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
MattyBs71

9k for a frame off restored SWB is the deal of a century be it GMC or Chev. I would be making sure it was really frame off and really not a cut down long bed at that price. I don't have any pictures to go on but that seems too good to be true to me personally to be the real deal frame off and original SWB.
MattyBs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It's kind of like the Chevelle/GTO thing to me. Something about a GTO in a sea of Chevelles that makes it even cooler to me. I guess most go for most popular, so there are more. I go for just as nice but don't see as many. I could add "Even cooler" but I'm not that heavy on making comparisons. I operate on I like what I like and you can like what you like. I'm a truck guy and GMC is a truck company.
For me it's the 442 (72 convertible would be my preference) - but I agree totally with your point. I would pick up a GMC like that in a heartbeat.