The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
Terry S

Smile Honest People

I know that over the years I've gotten kind of cynical about people, so I thought that I'd share this;

My wife took the kids this morning and went shopping with her mom and sister. About 2 hour later I got a call from someone who had found her purse in a parking lot at a major shopping center on the north west corner of Wichita. They took time out of their schedule to meet me and return it and wouldn't accept any reward. I even got to be the hero when I showed up at the hair salon where my wife was getting her hair cut with her purse intact.:p

There are undoubtedly more honest people out there than not, but it seems like we never remember to mention them, since it's easier (for me anyway) to talk about how were always getting ripped off by someone.

Thinking about this has really put me in a good mood and I thought that especially since it's the christmas season, it might be nice for anyone else who has a story like this to share it here.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i can honestly say that here the vast majority of the guys ive dealt with are incredibly honest. Some guys ive even shipped parts before recieving payment and havent had a problem. Only time ive dealt with a snert here is someone who is no longer with the board and hasnt for quite some time. Once ya get away fromt he big cities i find most people are decent and honest, although ya do find some in the cities too just a little harder to find

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
1971 Cheyenne

Hearing stories like that make me smile every time I hear them. Maybe there is hope for this world after all!

Last week my friend dropped his wallet in the parking lot of ROSS, someone found it and found my friends girlfriend's number in it. he called the number and told her that he foudn a wallet. We went and picked it up, EVERYTHING INTACT.

I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around. people who do acts of honesty and kindness like that will get theirs. (in a good way)
1983 M1009 CUCV Military K5 Blazer
1981 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually flatbed
1971 Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

I also subscribe to the what comes around goes around theory...and i find that it is a good one to live by

I remember my dad lost his wallet at the golf course once and someone returned it intact. I would do the same thing if i found something like that.

Once i was at the bank getting some money out of the ATM....i tried to withdrawl $20 but it spewed out $80 instead. I sat there for a few seconds thinking, then walked up to the drive through window and gave them back the spare money, lol. It was tempting to just take it....but my conciense (sp?) said no
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
RussTburb

You are a big man Lucas! It can be very easy to just keap that kinda cash especially from the big name bank! People seam to be able to justify theft if they are stealing from "the big guy" but not so much from an actual person with a face and a name. My .02.
06 2500 suburban 8.1L 4x4
84 chev 4x4 diesel
96 Geo Metro with the 4cylbb, lol! Almost 300k just won't die!
89 Honda Civic, runs on the smell of an oily rag!
2008 Aerolite 26qs Travel Trailer (aka "THE BARN")
RussTburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
Chevyguy111786

A buddy of mine was on a trip with the Manhaten Scouts (name??), a marching style band. It was an all summer trip. He lost his wallet somewhere along the way. He had about about 200 dollars, a credit card, his liscence. Even two of those punch cards from subway, enough to get 2 subway sandwiches. Someone mailed it to his house. Everything intact, minus the money for shipping. They even put in the spare change. It was something like $196.28 in the envelope. And the label had the price of shipping...and it added up to the total. Pretty amazing.
Chevyguy111786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I remember one time that I found a wallet with $967.00 in it. I was 9 years old at the time!! (1969) Wow, that seemed like a millian dollars to me!! I though for about keeping it, but just the thought made me feel guilty. Anyway, the police station was about a 1/2 mile walk from where I was, so I walked to the police station and turned it in to the police. The police got the owner's phone number and called him up to retreive the wallet. When he arrived he was happy as hell that it found in tact. He proceeded to stick it in his back pocket and leave, when the police officer told him that he thought that he though that it would be a good idea if he rewarded the kids for their honesty. He looked at us, pulled his wallet out, and gave my freind and I a dollar. Then he thanked us for our honesty and headed out the door. The police officer then invited us for a ride in his police car. We thought that was cool as heck, so we went for the ride. He took us to the Dairy Queen and bought us each an ice cream!! We thought was this cool or what?? He then drove us home where he told our parents what we did, so we got a pat on our heads also.. LOL WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys

Last edited by Classic Heartbeat; 12-26-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:05 PM   #8
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

In 1969 that WAS almost a million dollars.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 09:20 PM   #9
Ironhorse

On the other end of the spectrum I once owned a 77 Blazer which I bought used. After having had it some time I was working on the A/C system , dash side, when out from the ducting fell a man's large gold class ring. Initials inside. From a local High School about 60 odd miles away. I called the school, explained the situation and gave them the initials inside. From the initials, year date on the ring, being a man's ring, we actually got lucky and matched it up to the owner. He had lost it eight or nine years previous and remembered owning that 77 Blazer! Met him in a Wichita parking lot and gave him the ring. He was more than pleased after so long a time. Offered a reward which I declined but he was most grateful and surprised. I have since hoped that someone would find my class ring I lost many years ago and would make it back to me. So far no luck but it's only been gone about 30 odd years so guess there is still hope LOL !
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:55 PM   #10
86SILVERADO

I once found a moldy old five dollar bill in the bushes on the campus of the local university. I drove straight down to the campus police and dropped it off. LOL

No really, it is nice to hear stories about the ones that do what they ought to for their fellow human beings. Good time of the year to be thinking about that.

67 C30 Dually Dump, with 350 transplant, Rockhauler

05 Duramax 3500

"If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"

Member of the 1-Ton club!
86SILVERADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:18 AM   #11
Warbones
Navel Inspector

That is a great story to share. I believe it's all about " Karma ". I put a lot of faith in people. Do a lot of business over the internert. Have had pretty good luck so far. I am thankful for the honest people returning my grandmothers things that she loses.

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Warbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:34 AM   #12
djracer

I have had good luck over the enternet but I am cautious! I won a laptop on ebay and the guy had no feedback but sent me pages and pages about how to pay and it was only like western union I declined to pay him and got no bad feedback! If it looks to good to be true it probably is!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:56 AM   #13
Sweet72

It's so great to hear good news for a change, fellas. So tired of the bad news on TV.
-Sam
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote