The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2003, 01:37 AM   #1
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

some cleaning questions

a couple cleaning questions for you all
first what is a good way to clean off factory gauge lenses.the one in my 78 are kinda dingy looking and i want to freshen them up and make them cleaner so i can see out of them better.

second what is a good chrome cleaning product to clean a chrome grille once the surface rust has been cleaned off.

third the headers i bought for my truck earlier this year still work dont get me wrong but over time the paint on it has burned off and i was wondering if there was any tips i should follow as far as cleaning them up and painting them?

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 02:09 AM   #2
Mike76251

Re: some cleaning questions

Quote:
Originally posted by 1974ChevyC10
a couple cleaning questions for you all
first what is a good way to clean off factory gauge lenses.the one in my 78 are kinda dingy looking and i want to freshen them up and make them cleaner so i can see out of them better.

second what is a good chrome cleaning product to clean a chrome grille once the surface rust has been cleaned off.

third the headers i bought for my truck earlier this year still work dont get me wrong but over time the paint on it has burned off and i was wondering if there was any tips i should follow as far as cleaning them up and painting them?
1. You need to disassemble your cluster and get the lens out.....clean it with a soft cloth and some Windex, then polish it with some plastic polish.

2. Chrome? .....Mothers

3. Headers..........take off the headers and have them blasted, clean good with carb cleaner, spray on some high temp primer and follow with high temp paint (like VHT or Eastwood's manifold dressing)
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 02:51 AM   #3
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Re: Re: some cleaning questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike76251

1. You need to disassemble your cluster and get the lens out.....clean it with a soft cloth and some Windex, then polish it with some plastic polish.

2. Chrome? .....Mothers

3. Headers..........take off the headers and have them blasted, clean good with carb cleaner, spray on some high temp primer and follow with high temp paint (like VHT or Eastwood's manifold dressing)
1.how hard is it to disassemble a cluster?

2.mothers ok thats cool.where can you buy it like your local auto parts store or something like that?

3.by blasted i presume you mean sand-blasted.if i wasnt able to get them sandblasted for whatever reason would sanding them by hand be acceptable or is that a no-no,too much work,etc.do i need to go to a paint shop to get the hi-temp paint and primer or can i buy that at an auto parts store too.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 03:13 AM   #4
Mike76251

Re: Re: Re: some cleaning questions

Quote:
Originally posted by 1974ChevyC10

1.how hard is it to disassemble a cluster?

2.mothers ok thats cool.where can you buy it like your local auto parts store or something like that?

3.by blasted i presume you mean sand-blasted.if i wasnt able to get them sandblasted for whatever reason would sanding them by hand be acceptable or is that a no-no,too much work,etc.do i need to go to a paint shop to get the hi-temp paint and primer or can i buy that at an auto parts store too.
1. It is not hard to do........but take your time and try not to break any of the old plastic. It is old and brittle. As for a step by step=I have a 1984 model so I don't really know on your 1978.

2.Mother's can be had almost anywhere......Autozone,Advance,Kragens, and Walmart to name a few.

3. The thing to keep in mind about painting headers (or anything),
Surface prep is 90% of the work........you really need to get that old paint off or the new paint will peel as soon as the old paint beneath it peels.
Sand Blasting is hands down the best way. If you think you can remove all the old paint with sandpaper..........more power to you! You might try Aircraft Paint remover (from Autozone) but you MUST get all of the residue off before you paint.
Go to Eastwood's web site and search out their manifold dressing and/or header paint.
If you go the VHT paint route.......this stuff can be had at a speed shop or Summit/Jegs.

Last edited by Mike76251; 12-27-2003 at 03:15 AM.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:48 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Check around and get pricing on ceramic coating for your headers. You do it once, and your done. No matter how you prep the headers, the paint will eventually burn off.

Mike76251 is right. Check out Eastwood for some great products.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
Matt_305

I find never dull works best on chrome, it comes in a small blue can and you whipe the cloth type stuff on then when it hazes you whipe it off. Quite easy to use and it dosen't cost too much either.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:39 PM   #7
1974StepSide
Play it Loud...

There's this metal polish called "Wenol" that I use and it works wonders... It works for plastic lenses too, so you'd be able to take care of your #1 and #2 in one shot...

1974 Cheyenne Super Stepside, 350/400, Hooker Headers, Flowmaster Mufflers... Needs new doors, fenders, hood, and paint.

1952 Chevy Pickup waiting to be brought back home!
1974StepSide is offline   Reply With Quote